My development environment before starting on this project consisted of simple text editors and compilers.
and compilers from the MSys/MinGW package. While this had served me well for things like compiling gimp plugins with python. It really came short with one particular tool called Mapnik.
Mapnik was a pain to setup and install using MSys as well as its required libraries of Boost. After repeatedly installing packages and failing compliations I decided to scrap the MSys approach and get a real dev environment.
I had played around with CoLinux a while back and decided to see how their new versions were doing.
I set up CoLinux (http://www.colinux.org/) with an Ubuntu 9.0 disk image. Disk images are basically windows files that act like a hard disk for CoLinux. So you can go from installing a really small Linux distro, theoretically of 10-20 MB and play with it, or install a full scale system (mine is currently at 4GB).
It was such a breeze using aptitude to setup the required packages and have everything install with a few simple commands.
Mapnik has installed but the TileCache TurboGears example refused to display any map in my case.
Back to debugging it. More info when I get it working.
0 blog comments below