Here's a summary of a few ideas for a new type of community/forum platform
- Mobile First or Responsive first design
- Question asking feature similar to stack overflow/exchange
- embedding code with syntax highlighting ( maybe even from an external source like gists )
- articles ( like the blogs here but then nicer looking )
- customisable user 'home' directories
- an update system that actually doesn't break the site
- open source
- instead of having a lot of fixed categories, there will only be a few types of post methodslike 'ask a question' or 'write an article' like a review or tutorial, and these can be tagged and grouped by this tag instead of a category.
- plugins... This one needs some more thinking.
- an API (rest) this way we can interact with the forum in more ways then just a browser, like write your own android app that uses the API, or a desktop widget... etc...
- Follow a user, this way you can see posts of the users that you follow on the homepage ( just an idea.. )
- Event-driven? example, the site admin can create eventhandlers ( or hooks ) that can subscribe to events so that a custom action is executed when the event is raised. basically adding extra functionality without modifying the codebase.
- Syntax highlighting
- WYSIWYG editor of choice... PER User, the site will translate the input to a uniform format, but the user can choose the input ( eg: MarkDown, (limited) HTML, b-code, etc... )
here are a few idea's that I'm not too sure of, because they would be overkill or just useless
- status updates... like fb or twitter... meh... dunno
- Live chat ?
3 blog comments below
Looks great! I've sent a link to this blog post to Bondings.
deanhills on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:34 am
Mobile friendly would be nice. I've never tried to look at this page on a phone but... Would be nice to customize my own page a bit. Organize it. Change some colours maybe? Being able to follow users would also be nice since I find there are some out there in the past I've liked but since I don't go through the forums I'm not sure where else they post. I guess there are other ways to figure that out but...
TheGremlyn on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:19 pm
Very I hope Bondings will implement.
standready on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:51 pm