You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

UVA trip #1

Well, in less than an hour, Neelix & I start off on a roadtrip to UVA, where he has an appointment at 3:30 PM.

He's got some blocked veins leading to his heart that need unclogging.

I suggested giving him Drain-O intravenously, but that's generally frowned upon in the world of modern medicine.
(snicker) Wink

In any case, those blockages will have to be cleared (or the veins replaced) before his new pacemaker/defibrillator can be implanted.
So, we're both worried about those procedures & the hospital stay that will inevitably result from them.
But we're just taking things one day at a time...

Today's visit is just a preliminary Q & A session, basically.
I'll be taking lots of notes and the different options & procedures will be discussed.

I think the dread of the visit & what we'll possibly hear from the doctor is actually worse than the visit itself will be.

'Course, the 160-mile round-trip drive in 90 degree weather with no A/C isn't exactly a picnic.
And this is just the first of what will likely be several trips in the coming months.

(keeping fingers crossed in the hopes of good news) Anxious

3 blog comments below

Well I hope everything goes well for you all... but.. driving 160 miles..with no air.... in 90 degrees out.... -_- I dont even want to think about that >>. Your windows did work..right xD
m-productions on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:12 pm
I hope it goes well! It really sucks that you have to go 160 miles in 90 degree heat though. If i ahd to ride with you I would stuff myself in a cooler full of ice Very Happy !!!
polly-gone on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:25 pm
Well, the trip went pretty smoothly... until we got about 5 miles from the hospital.
I suppose it was the combination of the heat, dehydration & low blood pressure that really did a number on Neelix.
He suddenly got dizzy, weak, had slight tunnel vision and had a hard time breathing.
We got into the Heart & Vascular Center lobby where he propped himself up against the doorframe while I got the attention of several nurses at the reception desk.
A doctor was called to look at Neelix, and immediately he sent for more nurses & staff to bring a gurney and a "Code Blue" was called.
Man, you ain't never seen so many people crowded around & into one hospital room in your life!
EMT's, nurses, doctors, students in training and they even called the Chaplain!

The doctor that took Neelix's pulse apparently thought he was dying.
It took a long time for both of us to convince everybody that he always has low blood pressure, although it had dropped even lower than normal when he began to feel really horrible.
Yes, he was in bad shape at the time, but he wasn't dying and wasn't in any danger of dying.
He just needed to get cooled off, and the oxygen & saline drip they administered to him helped a lot, too.
After about an hour of the above treatment, he was back to normal, although very tired.

We didn't leave the hospital until after 6:30 PM, and the trip back home was easier, due to the cooling temperatures.

Needless to say, we've both spent most of yesterday (Wednesday the 5th) recuperating, and we'll probably continue to do so today.

Arrow To m-productions - my passenger-side window works; none of the others do.
CrimsonStrange on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:36 am

© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.