FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Obama Victory Speech

deanhills
I listened to Obama's Victory Speech on Yahoo, and must say was completely impressed by it. What I enjoyed most is the complete respect for all different groups in the world, i.e. non-racist, non-gender, non-creed. I also enjoyed the portion about the "can do" attitude that the 106 year old lady who voted had witnessed over the years. Was good to look at what had been achieved in other difficult sets of circumstances. Sort of a morale booster of a kind. Think I can listen to more of that kind of speech along "we the people" lines, and what can "we the people" do, instead of what others can do for us all the time. There were no glib promises, other than the resolve to give everything his best shot. Enjoyed the messages, and was a nice stage show as well. Well done, magnificent election campaign, excellent Victory speech, Obama deserved to win.
mrcool
Yes, it is really true....very well said and it impressed me as well....he spoke fine and calm...he spoke that he will do the best for his people and the nation as well... So, good luck!!!
kerryworkman
I have to say it was the best speech from a political figure that I have heard in as long as I can remember. The only thing I can really compare it too is the classic speeches I read back In history class, there hasn't been anything like it aside from the maybe some of the movie presidents speaches in a long time. I was really taken back and generally moved, it was great and after the epic election I thought it was appropriate as well. Everyone commented on McCain's speech which I can say was very gracious and also appropriate, just not even close to being in the same league. Obama's speech made his look like it was written and presented by a high school student, no comparison at all in my opinion.
OpposableThumbs
The best thing about the speech was, I think, its non-partisan quality. Bush managed to polarize the United States on issues like stem cell research, religion, and other American hot-button issues more than any other president in the twentieth century, with the possible exception of Richard Nixon and his "silent majority." Obama makes you feel like those polarized parties might come together a little more under his administration. I'm not asking for miracles here; just some, well, I don't know what, really. I guess that's why I'm not president. I'm just a little more hopeful than I was before last Tuesday.
liljp617
kerryworkman wrote:
I have to say it was the best speech from a political figure that I have heard in as long as I can remember. The only thing I can really compare it too is the classic speeches I read back In history class, there hasn't been anything like it aside from the maybe some of the movie presidents speaches in a long time. I was really taken back and generally moved, it was great and after the epic election I thought it was appropriate as well. Everyone commented on McCain's speech which I can say was very gracious and also appropriate, just not even close to being in the same league. Obama's speech made his look like it was written and presented by a high school student, no comparison at all in my opinion.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. McCain's speech was incredible in itself as well. There's no need to discredit him. Considering the "aura" surrounding Obama, specifically during his speech, it's hard not to make something magnificent.
missdixy
I was there! It was very powerful & very moving.
thadnation
I think it was a great speech, but not his best. Obama basically took the best parts of his 2004 DNC speech, his "I'm gonna run for pres" speech, and a few other gems.

I agree, though, it was pretty good
liljp617
You didn't, you triple posted.

You can delete your posts by using the X at the top right of your posts.
pmehta51
Yes, I can’t agree with you more. I really enjoyed listening to it. People like him make America such a successful country. It was excellent speech, especially from a politician. From his speech you can see that he is great person with morals, family values and can do attitude with practicality.
I am from India and always impressed with U.S politics (except Buss of course). Politicians in U.S care more about their country, more responsible. If India had such politicians it would have been great. I mean there are few, and I hope people recognize them. Like “Narendra modi”. Actually Obama’s speech reminded me of him.
What I like most from his speech is when he said “It is not blue or red states it is United States”. He looks are overall picture, rather than benefit for only my people.
Great person, great speech….lucky U.S. Go Obama!!!
ocalhoun
pmehta51 wrote:
Politicians in U.S care more about their country, more responsible.

Or at least they pretend to be.
airh3ad
i observe obama speech mostly didicated to amirican people the word change is there and other political system in the states, and must say was completely impressed by it too . Obama need the support for the american people .
Crazy_Canuck
missdixy wrote:

Really? How wonderful for you ... you were a part of history being made in a most extraordinary way.

Obama's campaign and election has been followed extremely closely up here, and it was hard to find any Canadian who was not pro-Obama. I found his election night speech extremely moving. Even now, reading it, I am amazed at the themes and subtle (and not-so-subtle) allusions to past events. His sense of his place in history is evident. His ability to lead by inspiring and being so tremendously inclusive comes out in virtually every line.
handfleisch
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
missdixy wrote:

Really? How wonderful for you ... you were a part of history being made in a most extraordinary way.

Obama's campaign and election has been followed extremely closely up here, and it was hard to find any Canadian who was not pro-Obama. I found his election night speech extremely moving. Even now, reading it, I am amazed at the themes and subtle (and not-so-subtle) allusions to past events. His sense of his place in history is evident. His ability to lead by inspiring and being so tremendously inclusive comes out in virtually every line.

Agreed. Also the speech & its delivery had a powerful, poetic, transcendent quality far removed from ordinary political or even most inspirational speeches.
Crazy_Canuck
handfleisch wrote:
Agreed. Also the speech & its delivery had a powerful, poetic, transcendent quality far removed from ordinary political or even most inspirational speeches.

Yes, you make a great point. The delivery is so important: in particular, about half-way into the speech, there is the line: "I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree."

The part I have bolded falls a little flat on the page, but is powerfully delivered by Obama. When I first heard him speak the line, it leaped out at me signifying not just his ability and desire to unite a nation that is divided; but also speaking volumes about his personal style and leadership capabilities. The ability to listen to those who disagree will be, I predict, a key element in Obama's ability to heal the divisions within the U.S. domestically, and rebuild its international alliances which have been so badly damaged over the past eight years.

I've just re-listened to Obama's race speech. This one is great, too, but was intended for a different purpose, and achieves a very different effect.

I am wondering how much of each speech Obama himself writes. I suspect a lot.
handfleisch
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
handfleisch wrote:

Yes, you make a great point. The delivery is so important: in particular, about half-way into the speech, there is the line: "I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree."

The part I have bolded falls a little flat on the page, but is powerfully delivered by Obama. When I first heard him speak the line, it leaped out at me signifying not just his ability and desire to unite a nation that is divided; but also speaking volumes about his personal style and leadership capabilities. The ability to listen to those who disagree will be, I predict, a key element in Obama's ability to heal the divisions within the U.S. domestically, and rebuild its international alliances which have been so badly damaged over the past eight years.

I've just re-listened to Obama's race speech. This one is great, too, but was intended for a different purpose, and achieves a very different effect.

I am wondering how much of each speech Obama himself writes. I suspect a lot.

thanks a lot for all this and the links. I confess I never saw or listened to the race speech, though I heard a lot about it. thanks also for your words on unity. I have some trouble keeping this goal in mind, given that it's obvious a hardcore of the far right will keep up their vicious, baseless but well-funded attacks on Obama.

Anyway, I look forward to checking out the speech. Onward and upward!
Crazy_Canuck
handfleisch wrote:
I have some trouble keeping this goal in mind, given that it's obvious a hardcore of the far right will keep up their vicious, baseless but well-funded attacks on Obama.

You're most welcome for the links, and yes, I know what you mean about the vicious attacks. As a Canadian for whom the impact of the Obama presidency will be indirect (albeit significant), there are still a number of ways that he is directly inspirational to me. Not least of which is that he has demonstrated, throughout his campaign, that there is a way to deal with hypocrisy, pettiness, ugliness and personal attacks without diving into the mud with the mud-slingers.

Also, I make it my personal motto never to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Ref to the post interspersed between ours.

Nice 'meeting' you here. I look forward to future discussions ...
SonLight
jwellsy wrote:
Long live the Terrorist King.

At the risk of being accused of feeding the trolls, I would like to ask if you have a political position to match your emotional outburst?

Who do you consider the "Terrorist King"?

Since this topic is about Obama, you might mean him. While he is friendly to at least one person who has committed a violent act of terrorism, he seems unlikely to be in favor of terrorist acts. Now that he has been elected President, he is not likely to be desparate enough to consider terrorism as a valid option.

You might mean Bush, whose failed presidency was revived because of a terrorist act against the US which gave him the opportunity to appear presidential. He seems to have milked anti-terrorist sentiment ever since.

Although neither of these, nor any other associated with American politics today seems terrorist-connected enough to even vaguely be considered "King", you may have a valid concern about whose hands the country has been in, might have been in, or will be in. If you have an opinion, we would like to hear it explained. How about Obama's speech? Is it related to the "Terrorist King" idea, or is it irrelebant?
handfleisch
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
I have some trouble keeping this goal in mind, given that it's obvious a hardcore of the far right will keep up their vicious, baseless but well-funded attacks on Obama.

You're most welcome for the links, and yes, I know what you mean about the vicious attacks. As a Canadian for whom the impact of the Obama presidency will be indirect (albeit significant), there are still a number of ways that he is directly inspirational to me. Not least of which is that he has demonstrated, throughout his campaign, that there is a way to deal with hypocrisy, pettiness, ugliness and personal attacks without diving into the mud with the mud-slingers.

Also, I make it my personal motto never to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Ref to the post interspersed between ours.

Nice 'meeting' you here. I look forward to future discussions ...

Would be curious to know what you think now. I think Obama is playing it perfectly at this point -- making appointments that are needed, practical and centrist in nature, placating the legitimate conservatives and maybe even some of the far rightists, while focusing on issues that need to be dealt with. The only ominous sign I see is the US economy looks even worse now than on Nov. 4th, with loads of bailouts that Obama will have to deal with, with even Bush admitting the US is in recession (which means there's been one for some time now, as many others have said).

Still, Obama is proceeding really intelligently so far. After eight years of mismanagement, one gets the feeling now that Obama knows what the the whole US and its economy and job situation needs and he's going to try to do it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/06/obama.jobs/index.html
Quote:
Obama outlines initiative to create 2.5 million jobs
* Five-part proposal is one element of economic recovery plan
* Improving energy efficiency of government buildings is high on list
* President-elect wants to rebuild infrastructure, modernize schools
* Improving Internet access and medical technology also in plan

Quote: