FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sugar alternatives?

gandalfthegrey
What sugar alternatives would you recommend?

People have mentioned to be alternatives called stevia, agave and succant.
HamsterMan
Sugar alternatives... Real sugar. Try Xylitol, a low-calorie naturally occurring sugar substitute that is good for your teeth as well, and it is even speculated that Xylitol is good for your bones. Just NEVER feed it to your dog.
Ghost Rider103
Try splenda. I think it is the closests taste you can get to sugar without it actually being sugar. I use it all the time to put on like cottage cheese, or in my protein shakes if they taste too bland.
johnstonv
Many sugar subsitutes are chemical based and can be worse than the actual sugar. I'd go with natural alternatives.

Steiva is a plant and the powder from this is sold in many health shops. May be worth talking to your local health shop to get their opinion. You can also buy a steiva plant and use the leaves directly.
RubySlasher
Ya, stevia is probably the best. Or honey!
driftingfe3s
johnstonv wrote:
Many sugar subsitutes are chemical based and can be worse than the actual sugar. I'd go with natural alternatives.

Steiva is a plant and the powder from this is sold in many health shops. May be worth talking to your local health shop to get their opinion. You can also buy a steiva plant and use the leaves directly.

Yeah, I've read that many times as well. I'd also go with a natural sweetener like honey.
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
What sugar alternatives would you recommend?

People have mentioned to be alternatives called stevia, agave and succant.

Stevia is good, but why use a sugar alternative? Better to do without or use natural sugar such as honey. Stevia is also expensive. They do claim that stevia is good for maintaining blood sugar levels. If this is a challenge then natural sugar will probably be not a good idea. Stevia would be OK and worth it.
riccopt
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Stevia is good, but why use a sugar alternative? Better to do without or use natural sugar such as honey. Stevia is also expensive. They do claim that stevia is good for maintaining blood sugar levels. If this is a challenge then natural sugar will probably be not a good idea. Stevia would be OK and worth it.

I am also wondering why not to sugar or some natural alternatives...
are you doing that because of DIABETES?
HamsterMan
But Stevia IS natural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia
Wolf1918
I've used Stevia before and I do like it but, as some others have said here, it's expensive, or at least seems to be.

Now there is a product called Truvia, which is made from Stevia plus another ingredient and "natural flavors". Although they don't say what those 'natural flavors ' are. You can check out the manufacturer's web site at www.truvia.com and you can even buy a sample pack.

I found the Truvia product in our local Kroger store in Ohio and probably will give it a try in a week or so. It's less expensive than the pure Stevia that you can find in a health food store. (and with the added ingredients I don't know if you would need to use more Truvia than pure Stevia to get the same amount of sweetening) BUT keep in mind that even though the Stevia you find in the health food store SEEMS to cost a lot, you use only a tiny little scoop to equal the sweetening of a full teaspoon of sugar.

Just my 2 cents,
Chad Cool
la_Duchess
Good question. It seems that there is really no good answer. Just skip the sugur. I'm trying to but it's so hard.
mejo1900
if you are just worried about taste...go with splenda (especially for baking since it is closer in size to real sugar than other alternatives). If you are worried about the chemical implications an artifical sugar imposes you should just try to cut down on sugar.
wiureczka
sugar alternative = carcinogenic substation

If you are diabetic, that will be ok. You exchange bigger evil for smaller evil for your body.

In other cases you can sweet natural honey from bees not artifical honey.

I do that because i d'ont like tastes sugar in my tea.