FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Notetaking Tool Do You Use?

mgeek
There was a time when I was using Notepad for all sorts of notes, but I soon got tired of saving in plain text files when I discovered NoteTab Lite. Right now, I am trying out the free essential PIM (it has features not found in NoteTab, like calendars).

So what do you use for note-taking?
rockacola
still using .txt file for all snippet, code example, notes..

Then I have couple of .docs for grouping more important contents. And use Google Doc for semi-formal manual and instructions.

Never adapt Google notebook or other web-based tools.
mgeek
How do you keep *.txt and *.doc files organized? The main reason why I abandoned the use of .txt files is so that I can find my notes easily. How do you do it?
Skye001
microsoft office 2003/2007 come with office onenote, which is great! Im sure you could do an alternative freeware in google to find similar software.
froginabox
I use OmniOutliner on my Mac in classes... I have always taken notes by hand in outline form, so it works really really well. Another thing that I have found helpful is recording the lecture and then going back over it to re-note.
rockacola
mgeek wrote:
How do you keep *.txt and *.doc files organized? The main reason why I abandoned the use of .txt files is so that I can find my notes easily. How do you do it?

I have a temp.txt on the desktop of all my workstations, containing basically anything: links, copy&pasted paragraphs, passwords, code snippet, code backups.

And I clean them up from time to time, whenever I feel likes to: remove what I no longer need, group important data into a word document, use google doc if I need these information from different location, and then I have a self made encryption program that stores my sentitive data in a very hard to retrieve manner (even for myself).
jpm2112
I use a note taking software called NoteScribe. It's a far more efficient way to organize your notes than having individual files. With NoteScribe, you can create, store, and organize your notes in a single database, and then retrieve them by categories, sources, and keywords. In addition to note-taking you can create sources and bibliographies, attach files to your notes, and import and export your notes to share with friends. It's a good program, you should definitely check it out at www.NoteScribe.net.
HamsterMan
I bring up notepad for just about anything I want to remember or I need to cut copy and arrange. No wonder it is the number one used software on my start menu.
mgeek
jpm2112 wrote:
I use a note taking software called NoteScribe. It's a far more efficient way to organize your notes than having individual files. With NoteScribe, you can create, store, and organize your notes in a single database, and then retrieve them by categories, sources, and keywords. In addition to note-taking you can create sources and bibliographies, attach files to your notes, and import and export your notes to share with friends. It's a good program, you should definitely check it out at www.NoteScribe.net.

I downloaded a trial version and found out that it is good for research and taking notes for a possible article or publication.
jpm2112
It's definitely a great program for doing research. Is it the type of program you were seeking? I hope it works out for you if it is!
Studio Madcrow
I've never really found any computer program that does notes very well. Still, I have, from time to time, esperimented with using plaintext as a note storage format. It works, but I usually find it easier to either take notes by hand (or using my Palm) or to save whole webpages as a refference.
mgeek
jpm2112 wrote:
It's definitely a great program for doing research. Is it the type of program you were seeking? I hope it works out for you if it is!

I'll try it out for a month and see whether there are still others. I like the way NoteScribe links a note to its source. It will definitely save a lot of time when I begin collecting bibliographies and end note items.
chartcentral
I use the Windows built-in program Notepad, but for advanced use, Textpad does the job. Smile
silverdown
I use notepad++ for all programing needs then copy and paste them into word documents. After that I zip or rar then label and date (examples_date) the folder and zip or rar back them up to my external drive and there they sit till I need them Smile!
mgeek
rockacola wrote:

I have a temp.txt on the desktop of all my workstations, containing basically anything: links, copy&pasted paragraphs, passwords, code snippet, code backups.

And I clean them up from time to time, whenever I feel likes to: remove what I no longer need, group important data into a word document, use google doc if I need these information from different location, and then I have a self made encryption program that stores my sentitive data in a very hard to retrieve manner (even for myself).

I saw this note-taking application in my old computer. It is just about 42 kb in size. Check it out.
albuferque
If you include a lot of elements on your notes, try Freemind:

FreeMind is a premier free mind-mapping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map) software written in Java. The recent development has hopefully turned it into high productivity tool. The operation and navigation of FreeMind is faster because of one-click "fold / unfold" and "follow link" operations.

You can download it at:
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download
mgeek
albuferque wrote:

FreeMind is a premier free mind-mapping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map) software written in Java. The recent development has hopefully turned it into high productivity tool. The operation and navigation of FreeMind is faster because of one-click "fold / unfold" and "follow link" operations.

You can download it at:

I am already using FreeMind to stimulate my brain for ideas.
Jaan
rockacola wrote:
Never adapt Google notebook or other web-based tools.

why do you say this?
soljarag
I just use notepad..... loads fast and good enough for quick notes...
soljarag
albuferque wrote:

You can download it at:

Whoa!!! that program is awesome... I can't believe it is free... I have used MindMap Pro... but it costs money
Faraz
Notepad for the win.
WarhammerLeagues
The best note taking program I have ever used is Microsoft Office OneNote. You can have several note books and many tabs in each notebook. It is the best collection of note taking tools all in one place. The only down side is Microsoft and you have to pay for it, or get your work to pay for it.
jsfdan
I use NoteTab lite too! Smile it's great.
Da Rossa
Ms Office OneNote 2007 is very good!
aningbo
onenote is pretty good but if u have a slow system, notepad will still do find. for a guy who saves a lot of stuffs on the desktop, the program NoteTab Lite mentioned by the author seems pretty promising.

there's no harm in trying it out.
mgeek
I found another free software for notetaking. It is called MemPad. It has a lot more features than Notepad.

Features

1. No installation needed. (Just unpack to a folder of your choice)
2. Quickloading
3. Tree outline
4. Exportable content: as separate page or with tree structure
5. Encryptable contents
6. Can make diary contents
7. Useful for quick notes.
8. Text-based, no graphics (but hey, "quick notes", right?)

forkei
I use Ms Office OneNote 2003
David_Pardy
I use Notepad at work and at home.

At work I use it to keep track of the jobs I need to do, and then when they're done I enter them in our InfoTrak software which we use to run a weekly report on what jobs we've done, etc.

Well, I don't actually use Notepad, I use Metapad, which is what Notepad SHOULD be.

It's just as fast, but has better controls and more features. The only feature which it misses is code highlighting, but since I've always used Notepad/Metapad for HTML writing, and C++ Builder 4/Turbo C++, etc. for all my C++ code writing, that's not an issue.

I don't see the need for an 'advanced' note taking program. If the need arises, I'll just create a folder on my desktop and save the text files into that - instant access, no fiddling, no extra unnecessary programs.
mgeek
I wrote a blog about the AZZCardfile here.. Tell me what you think about it.
rockacola
mgeek wrote:
I found another free software for notetaking. It is called MemPad. It has a lot more features than Notepad.

Features

1. No installation needed. (Just unpack to a folder of your choice)
2. Quickloading
3. Tree outline
4. Exportable content: as separate page or with tree structure
5. Encryptable contents
6. Can make diary contents
7. Useful for quick notes.
8. Text-based, no graphics (but hey, "quick notes", right?)

This one looks interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Compare with the others you mentioned in this thread, I'm actually gonna try this one out see if I'm able to adopt this Wink

A shortfall I found about note taking application is you *might* end up spending too much time organizing your notes, and since it's easy to read your sentitive snippets tend to stand out. Surprised
DarkReaver
I use Notepad++, its completely free and it has a ton of features. They call it a 'source editor and notepad replacement' if you do much programming you will love this program. It also supports TONS of languages...

Supported languages :
C
C++
Java
C#
XML
HTML
PHP
CSS
makefile
ASCII art
(.nfo)
doxygen
ini file
batch file
Javascript
ASP
VB/VBS
SQL
Objective-C
RC resource file
Pascal
Perl
Python
Lua
TeX
TCL
Assembler
Ruby Lisp
Scheme
Properties
Diff
Smalltalk
Postscript
VHDL
Ada
Caml
AutoIt
KiXtart
Matlab
Verilog
Haskell
InnoSetup
CMake
YAML

its super light and is very easy on system resources.

Homepage:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Download:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/download.php
Da Rossa
I tried mempad. Appears to be awesome! Liked it. Haven't tested all the functions though, so hope it doesnt bug.
mgeek
Da Rossa wrote:
I tried mempad. Appears to be awesome! Liked it. Haven't tested all the functions though, so hope it doesnt bug.

The current version of Mempad really improves on previous ones. I hope that the development continues.
mgeek
DarkReaver wrote:
I use Notepad++, its completely free and it has a ton of features. They call it a 'source editor and notepad replacement' if you do much programming you will love this program. It also supports TONS of languages...

Notepad++ is great for programming. I use it for writing my webpages. But I prefer to use note organizers for quick jots.
mgeek
Is anyone familiar with Notepad Pro?
Da Rossa
Quote:
Notepad++ is great for programming. I use it for writing my webpages. But I prefer to use note organizers for quick jots.
Which other note organizers such as mempad and MS OneNote do you know?
mgeek
I also know Scratch and Total Text Container. I describe Scratch in my blog "In front of the Presario". You can see the Total Text Container at http://mtirnanic.googlepages.com. There is also AZZCardFile which I got for free writing a review of it.
angfrayle
mgeek wrote:
I also know Scratch and Total Text Container. I describe Scratch in my blog "In front of the Presario". You can see the Total Text Container at http://mtirnanic.googlepages.com. There is also AZZCardFile which I got for free writing a review of it.

This is a good thread. I haven't thought of taking notes using the computer. I am still quite old fashioned. I use lowtech notebooks for my work. When I take notes while reading webpages, I use what is available -- Windows Notepad. But I still have to print it afterwards, annotate and write observations in a notebook on the topic (yup, I'm still very much like a college student of the 80's, which I was)
crimson_aria
I simply just use Notepad. uhm, it never really crossed my mind to use some other notetaking tools. i have onenote but haven't tried it. those tools you guys mentioned seem promising. i'll check it out. thanks
fx-trading-education
Thank you for this interesting thread.
I always used Notepad,but I will now try mempad that looks quite simple to use and then should be effective
forkei
what about the UltraEdit ? i use it
mgeek
forkei wrote:
what about the UltraEdit ? i use it

Man, tell you what. UltraEdit is the programmer's all-around editor. But as I said, that kind of editor is for real work; for making all kinds of notes, I'd prefer to work with Scratch and the other organizer-type note-taking tools.
angfrayle
mgeek wrote:

Man, tell you what. UltraEdit is the programmer's all-around editor. But as I said, that kind of editor is for real work; for making all kinds of notes, I'd prefer to work with Scratch and the other organizer-type note-taking tools.

I am surprised to find out that Keynote is still available for download. I was using that when I was still with my Win98. It served me well for a while. Then I had to transfer to a different office with a different computer.
mgeek
Oh, you are referring to Tranglos' Keynote.... During its time -- the last update is 2003 -- Keynote was really advanced. But since then, other software have been developed that surpass it. It is a shame that the author had to close down the project. Putting it under open source won't help. I've seen another software -- xSite from Lad.Co.ZA -- disappear after it was put under open source.
amperx
i use notepad++, its lightweight and convenient, it has code hinting very ideal editor Very Happy
angfrayle
amperx wrote:
i use notepad++, its lightweight and convenient, it has code hinting very ideal editor Very Happy

Notepad++ would be great for web programming if it had a preview feature and FTP. So I still would prefer the Crimson Editor over it as a freeware editor. For a commercial one, EditPlus is great.
misterXY
pencil (no pens) and paper. l'm in love with pencils l just cant stand pens. but for computers, anything.
angfrayle
misterXY wrote:
pencil (no pens) and paper. l'm in love with pencils l just cant stand pens. but for computers, anything.

Low tech is great too. In fact, I still use a notebook (made out of paper) for really quick notes.
mgeek
Here is another note-taking tool that you may check out. It is called KeepNote
Marcuzzo
SciTE
mgeek
Marcuzzo wrote:
SciTE

Scite is an excellent tool for programmers. It is listed along with Notepad++ and Notepad2 as one of the better Notepad replacements.
angfrayle
I found a note-taking tool recently called Biblioscape. It is very expensive though. It is not only a note-taking tool, it is also a relational database and a word processor.

There is another software that operates like Biblioscape in that it allows one to relate ones's notes with another. It is called The Literary Machine. The bad thing about this software however is that if you are working in WinXP it looks like something from Win32. Second, it takes a while before I can learn to really use it.

Here is a review of the Literary Machine
void00
Well, I still use Notepad for all of my note taking purposes. I used to use Notepad++ for my codes and stuff but after a bit, I removed it. I like notepad because of its fast loading. Just a simple click on the icon in my RocketDock.

I also have used XPad [ not so good] , and some opens source tools which I found from sourceforge.
I also created an addon on my own for Firefox so that I dont have to minimize firefox while I'm surfing.
It just saves everything as a text file.
Ninjacide
I personally use notepad++
differential from notepad in performance and stability. I highly recommend it as a notepad replacement.
Kashinilaya
At present I'm using OmniOutiler. It's an interesting piece of software.
mgeek
angfrayle wrote:
I found a note-taking tool recently called Biblioscape. It is very expensive though. It is not only a note-taking tool, it is also a relational database and a word processor.

There is another software that operates like Biblioscape in that it allows one to relate ones's notes with another. It is called The Literary Machine. The bad thing about this software however is that if you are working in WinXP it looks like something from Win32. Second, it takes a while before I can learn to really use it.

Here is a review of the Literary Machine

You are right about Biblioscape -- it is expensive, but very functional. I can't make use of the Literary machine; it doesn't work in Vista.
angfrayle
Here is something that those who are old-fashioned about their note-taking utility would appreciate: TinyPad

It is tiny
has transparency features
has RTF capabilities
quick loading
has tabs that you can archive

works with the NET framework
it is very useful and easy to use
sondosia
I use Evernote and LOVE it. I was running Linux for a while and couldn't get Evernote to work with Wine, and that was one of the major factors that convinced me to switch back to Windows. I can't live without Evernote. =)
mgeek
angfrayle wrote:
Here is something that those who are old-fashioned about their note-taking utility would appreciate: TinyPad

It is tiny
has RTF capabilities
quick loading

Looks good. I like the archive feature. So how did you find this application?
gcaughill
albuferque wrote:

You can download it at:

I will definitely try it out. If it is Java I hope it will work in Ubuntu in addition to Windows XP.
angfrayle
Have you seen WikidPad? It is a Notepad that acts like a Wiki, although at the same time it also operates like a tree outliner. It looks cool and I have tried it writing an article. The Export to HTML function is great.
j0hn
I checked out TinyPad at http://itinypad.com like you said and I've gotta say:
I love this thing! Thanks for sharing! Exclamation
Definitely the slickest and most useful thing on my desktop. I love the hot spots feature. Purely AWESOME Very Happy

mgeek wrote:
angfrayle wrote:

It is tiny
has RTF capabilities
quick loading

Looks good. I like the archive feature. So how did you find this application?
chartcentral
Before, I used to only have Notepad and Textpad as my text editors. Now, I've added Notepad++ to the list, and I'm impressed by what it can do! Very handy and useful, and it's free too! Smile
babygeek
try zim (desktop wiki that works very well as tabbed notebooks)
mgeek
Zim looks good. I am trying it out now. It is better than Wikidpad in that it supports the Insert Image feature.
angfrayle
I guess Zim is really for people who have their own online Wiki's. It does not export to files like TXT or RTF. It is either TiddlyWiki or to XML or OPML. It is WYSIWYG; one can edit the source using Notepad. But when one toggles to Outline Tree Mode it does not show the hierarchy for the notes.
[FuN]goku
Notepad++ if I'm on windows, or command line Nano on *Nix.
mgeek
The Tranglos software Keynote -- which was very popular years ago before development stopped -- is back online. It is now being developed as KeynoteNF.

The application was very advanced during its heydays and so it has to catch up on a lot of features. It has a lot of new features that I think a lot of commercial note-taking tools will find competitive. KeynoteNF like its predecessor is free and works on a USB flash drive.
deanhills
Notepad is just so easy to find and to use. I especially like it for cutting and pasting as it instantly gets rid of formatting I don't want.
angfrayle
mgeek wrote:
The Tranglos software Keynote -- which was very popular years ago before development stopped -- is back online. It is now being developed as KeynoteNF.

The application was very advanced during its heydays and so it has to catch up on a lot of features. It has a lot of new features that I think a lot of commercial note-taking tools will find competitive. KeynoteNF like its predecessor is free and works on a USB flash drive.

This is news. But it comes a bit late. If I had known about this last year, I would've downloaded this software.
ForceRun
I'm currently using Evernote:
http://evernote.com/
Seems to be great.
mgeek

TinyEdit is another one of those Notepad replacements that is quick to load and without the filesize limitation of the Windows text editing utility. Below are just some of its features

* Powerful and easy to use
    * Syntax highlighting for more than 26 scripts
    * Multiple document interface
    * Unlimited undo/redo capability
    * Text can be automatically word-wrapped
    * Line number, Powerful search and replace
    * Only one executable file (no need install)
    * Freeware for both personal and commercial use

It also supports syntax highlighting -- a feature that I think would be appreciated by programmers.
TinyEdit is free to use for personal purposes and the download package is small. You can find it at TinyEdit.COM
angfrayle
ForceRun wrote:
I'm currently using Evernote:
http://evernote.com/
Seems to be great.

Evernote is great. It allows the publication of one's notes in a web server.
mgeek
angfrayle wrote:

Evernote is great. It allows the publication of one's notes in a web server.

I am using Evernote 2. I don't find anything special about it.