FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The one biggest thing that would be good to put right

chasbeen
OK

So I get an email that someone has replied to my topic and so I click on the handy link and it takes me to the web page. Then as I want to reply I have to login which is fine as it's on the same page.(Everything is fine so far).
I login and I am not taken to my beloved topic but am at the the general forum entrance. I then have to find the category and then find my topic.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could login and remain on the topic page that you were initially taken to?
Question Question Question Question Question [/b]
ocalhoun
^Or, you could click the link on the e-mail again...
Or you open the log in link in a new tab, then refresh the page the topic is on.
SonLight
ocalhoun wrote:
^Or, you could click the link on the e-mail again...
Or you open the log in link in a new tab, then refresh the page the topic is on.

Good ideas, but still a nuisance, even if a minor one. I solve the problem by being always logged in, which is easy if you always use the same computer with the same ip address.

I think the auto-redirect to previous page would be a good idea, but probably not worthwhile unless it is available as a standard mod to phpbb 2. Another reasonable approach is to always go to a special logged-in page with links to places a person just logging in is likely to want to go, including a link created dynamically which took you to the page you were on before you logged in. There could be an automatic transfer to that page after a delay, as is done for posting.
sonam
After login you can click on "View your posts" on the right side on the forum index and you will see all your new answered topic.

Sonam
chasbeen
Thanks guys BUT...
These are all workarounds.
Lets get it right and make the system easier to use (and therefore even more popular)
ocalhoun
Another, much easier to code alternative:

Add a link to the log in page into the e-mail itself.

That way, if you know you're not logged in yet, you just click the log in link first, then the one for the topic.
truespeed
chasbeen wrote:

I then have to find the category and then find my topic.
[/b]

Like has already been said i don't know why this is such an issue,it takes all of a second to click on "view your posts" and your not only at the post in question but have access to all your previous posts.
rvec
even easier would be to login in a different screen, and refresh the topic page
Blaster
now i know this has been suggested before. it really wouldn't be that hard for bondings to such a thing but it could be time consuming. I am however for the idea. But like rvec said just open in another tab and then refresh your page.