FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

4G RAM on Vista

badai
currently i'm using 2G RAM on my notebook.

would it make any different if I upgrade to 4G? can I feel the different?
RiCtee
I remembered replying to a question like that in another thread:

RiCtee wrote:
All 32-bit versions of Windows support a maximum of 4GB of physical memory, ie. Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional. However you might not be able to achieve the full 4GB because of the device memory. 64-bit versions should support much more. Anyway you can definitely run Windows XP with 3GB of RAM.

So yes you can use 4GB which is also the max you can put (32-bit that is). But if you meant whether you can feel the difference as in speed and performance improvements, it solely depends what you use your notebook for. If the programs you run need more RAM then sure go ahead and upgrade.
badai
will vista itself be faster? startup, starting application, shutting down?

i give u an example:

256M on XP and 1G on XP, the same computer. without doing anything. just start and shutdown. you can see the different.

how about 2G vs 4G on vista?
rockacola
In theory, 32-bit system can have max. of 2GB. However in Windows XP Pro (and Windows Server 2003), you can change your boot.ini to achive virtual address space.

Here's the list of physical RAM you can has in different Windows OS (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/pae/paemem.mspx)

Windows 2000 Pro - 4GB
Windows 2000 Server - 4GB
Windows 2000 Advanced Server - 8GB
Windows 2000 Datacenter Ed. - 32GB
Windows XP Pro - 3GB
Windows Server 2003 - 3GB
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Ed. - 32GB
Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Ed. - 64GB
Windows Vista - 4GB
Windows Vista Datacenter Ed. - 128GB

For Configurations in Windows Vista, please referr to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx
djclue917
Actually, a 32-bit system can have as much as 2^32 bytes (or 4 GB) of addressable memory, theoretically. However, some 32-bit operating systems like Windows XP cannot or does not support that much memory.
RiCtee
Quote:
will vista itself be faster? startup, starting application, shutting down?

i give u an example:

256M on XP and 1G on XP, the same computer. without doing anything. just start and shutdown. you can see the different.

how about 2G vs 4G on vista?

Of course on Windows XP upgrading from 256MB to 1GB would speed it up substantially but with Windows Vista 2GB is what most would recommend for a smooth experience (although Microsoft only recommends 1GB).

Really you should check out how much RAM you currently use to see if you need more. Just go to Task Manager (taskmgr.exe) -> Performance tab -> Physical memory. If you only have 512MB or less remaining you should definitely upgrade.
Diablosblizz
I believe everybody is getting a bit off topic, the original poster asked if increasing the ram would boost performance, the true answer is perhaps.

It depends on how much CPU you have, if you have like 2.4 GHZ dual core running Vista then probably not. Although, if you are running a low processor speed (1.9 GHZ) or with one core then maybe. I run XP with 2.5 GB of ram, and it's pretty fast. My friend runs Vista with 3 GB and it runs nicely.

I think your 2 GB should be good enough for your computer.
r4inm4ker
Yes, more RAM is better, especially since RAM since so cheap today. If you're using something like photoshop, then even 4 GBs is just adequate. I believe 2 GB is a bit stressing for OS like Vista.
badai
this is the most close answer. thanks.

my CPU is Core 2 Duo 2.10G (T8100). why is it depend on CPU?

unlike real DOS, windows (and DOS in protected mode) will use up whatever RAM you have for its cache. the more RAM you have, the faster you program will load and run. in Vista, it's called superfetch. if you have 1G it use 512M, if you have 2G it use 1G, if you have 4G, it will use 2G. so logically, if more RAM is use for superfetch, wouldn't it load program faster? this is really what I want to know.

please reply base on your experience. especially if you just use it for normal work (not graphic or video application). I already knew about all other crap like "depend on what usage" and max RAM can be installed. all I need to know, will Vista take advantage on the extra RAM to make itself faster? not that will other application run faster. if yes, will I feel the different? because i've been thinking, if XP can make user feel the different with additional 512M, why not Vista do the same with 2G?

thank you.

Diablosblizz wrote:
I believe everybody is getting a bit off topic, the original poster asked if increasing the ram would boost performance, the true answer is perhaps.

It depends on how much CPU you have, if you have like 2.4 GHZ dual core running Vista then probably not. Although, if you are running a low processor speed (1.9 GHZ) or with one core then maybe. I run XP with 2.5 GB of ram, and it's pretty fast. My friend runs Vista with 3 GB and it runs nicely.

I think your 2 GB should be good enough for your computer.
badai
ok, i didn't add RAM, but i bought big (8G) thumbdrive and use it for readyboost.

it do speedup vista a lot. i also find out, if i remove it, vista will be slower than before, like it become addicted to the thumbdrive.

so you can save money on RAM and buy cheap thumbdrive instead.
kirii
Yeah RAM is quite cheap..
RAM is very important to a computer as it determine the speed of your computer..
We need to have atleast 1GB RAM to run a computer smoothly
joomla
In my experience, anything under 2GB on XP or Vista will get you a slower computer.
I run Vista on 4GB now, before XP only saw 3.5 of the 4GB.

The memory is so cheap now that i think it is a good time to buy new memory.
SHARPBALL
Some things i dont understand
I you read on some forums the have 8ram or 16 ram in there(pc) the also use xp32

if i want to ad let say 4gb mem extra so then i must have 6gb in my pc(i have 2gb)
but xp only acepts 3gb.
how on eart do those other persons work with 8gb or 16gb under xp32 when only 3gb is accesible.

thats something i don't understand
Let say After effects under xp only 2gb is avalible but some guys uses more gb

how can i acces more memmory???
mOrpheuS
SHARPBALL wrote:
if i want to ad let say 4gb mem extra so then i must have 6gb in my pc(i have 2gb)
but xp only acepts 3gb.
how on eart do those other persons work with 8gb or 16gb under xp32 when only 3gb is accesible.

thats something i don't understand
Let say After effects under xp only 2gb is avalible but some guys uses more gb

how can i acces more memmory???

http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/iangblog/2005/08/05/is3gbenough

It's probably because of your motherboard.

BTW, XP32 doesn't support more than 4GB of RAM, but Windows Server 2003 Enterprise & DC Editions do. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx
fadirocks
for my XP 1GB is necessity for me and barely enough (note I don't even game on it)
most XP setup for Lenovo laptops if you want all these ThinkPad functions you need the 1GB of RAM but if you strip down XP to basics 512MB will do fine

for Vista 2GB vs 4GB not sure how much you will use it i would definitely monitor how much currently you use on Vista if it's getting close to 1.5GB usage maybe 4GB might help on a fresh install will help little bit
SHARPBALL
mOrpheuS

THX for the information im know a lot more now

cheers
somaddict
Changing the virtual address space in a 32-bit OS can be unstable and you will still only utilize 3.5 GB. You would need to get a 64-bit OS and that's the bottom line.
Sjoert86
Look before you do it of your Notebook can handle it.
Some motherboards can't handle 4gb.
When you grate him up, you do not need to re-instal vista
Skye001
Ive just moved back from the x64 world to back to x86..

While having 4GB of ram work in my windows xp pro was nice the application support for x64 is just horrible. Ive spent more time learning how to get apps to work in x64 then ever before. Most apps will emulate and work as 32-bit, even apps that say they are x64 are mainly emulated to 32bit, its only the dll's that are wrapped up to suit x64.

Also please make sure you have drivers listed and are compatible with x64!

I have also tried vista x64, did not like it. Vista uses its memory more efficiently than any other windows operating system. The more memory usage is actually better.

But I'm back on 32bit and XP only read's 3GB of ram not 3.75GB. I'll shift back to x64 but not windows maybe opensuse (KDE4 is sweet).

Regarding performance what speed is your memory? is it DDR2? Your CPU will make alot of difference see if you can upgrade it aswell.

I also saw no performance benefits, but I managed to watch a 720p movie without it buffering on x64, still got to try it on x86 thou.

Just try it you make like x64 or not, but backup your files
Kelcey
I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in speed. Unless you're running a lot of memory intensive programs... you probably won't notice any difference.
badai
i use my notebook for normal office work. no games, no graphics, no video. just plain Vista Home Premium and office suite and browser.

i just upgrade from 2G DDR2 677 to 4G DDR2 800, any you are dead wrong.

this is just a matter of perception. if you can't really notice the difference between 1 minutes and 2 minutes, then it's really not much different.

Kelcey wrote:
I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in speed. Unless you're running a lot of memory intensive programs... you probably won't notice any difference.
Skye001
question is badai why do you need so much memory? why are you running vista? If all you do is surf the net and do word documents.

Vista = more memory usage the better
badai
because my computer came with vista.

now my question to you sir, why should i bother buying XP and search for drivers?

or, do I, and everybody else should tell all notebook manufacturer to ship their machine with XP?

do you even realize that? hello... it's almost 2009, MS try to push for Vista for almost 2 years now.

and you should really read everything in the thread before posting "I THINK......".

see post #9.

here I quote it for you

Quote:
please reply base on your experience. especially if you just use it for normal work (not graphic or video application). I already knew about all other crap like "depend on what usage" and max RAM can be installed. all I need to know, will Vista take advantage on the extra RAM to make itself faster? not that will other application run faster. if yes, will I feel the different? because i've been thinking, if XP can make user feel the different with additional 512M, why not Vista do the same with 2G?