FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

'RACE' OVER : OBAMA NEW US PRESIDENT, Claims Historic Win

indianinworld
Democrat Barack Obama wrote his name indelibly into the pages of American history on Wednesday, engineering a social and political upheaval to become the country's first black president-elect in a runaway victory over Republican John McCain.

The 72-year-old Arizona senator quickly called his opponent to concede defeat and congratulate his rival in the longest and most costly presidential campaign in American history. McCain spoke graciously at an outdoor rally in Arizona, commending Obama on his victory and emphasizing that he understood its special importance to African-Americans.

"The American people have spoken, and spoken clearly," McCain told disappointed supporters in Arizona, many who booed and growled as he called for the nation to unify behind the victor and his running mate, Joe Biden.

The 47-year-old Illinois senator, son of a white mother from Kansas and an African father from Kenya, mined a deep vein of national discontent, promising Americans hope and change throughout a nearly flawless 21-month campaign for the White House.

For more details, please visit - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7709978.stm

Keep Smiling - Keep LiVinG....
the-guide
CHANGES Exclamation Obama is actually going ... ... ...
ThePolemistis
I am so happy Obama won.
Had McCain won, it would be like Bush getting re-elected for the third time as far as foreign policy goes.

I hope America's foreign policy changes. No more wars. The rest of humanity has suffered far too long as a consequence of American foriegn policy. American foriegn policy has left millions dead, and even more driven into poverty, hopelessness and dispair.
Obama is the change the American people have long been yearning for.
liljp617
ThePolemistis wrote:
I am so happy Obama won.
Had McCain won, it would be like Bush getting re-elected for the third time as far as foreign policy goes.

I hope America's foreign policy changes. No more wars. The rest of humanity has suffered far too long as a consequence of American foriegn policy. American foriegn policy has left millions dead, and even more driven into poverty, hopelessness and dispair.

We all yearn for that, but in all respect, every superpower in history is responsible for that.
ocalhoun
ThePolemistis wrote:

Obama is the change slightly more than half of the American people have been yearning for for five or six years.

Fixed.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:

Obama is the change slightly more than half of the American people have been yearning for for five or six years.

Fixed.

Obama is the change the world was looking for. The USA has a bad world image,hopefully Obama can change that worldview of the US.

Im sure the media had a big part in his winning as worldwide everyone seemed to be routing for him,for me it was always a foregone conclusion that he was going to win,he comes across as the right man at the right time for both the US and the world.

John McCain came across well during and after the election,perhaps if he was 20 years younger,perhaps if he didnt choose Palin,then the result may of been different.
bellebello
I hope Obama can live up to his billing. He will bring about a more sensible foreign policy. The rest of the world seems to like him too.
smspno
Well, every single person I know personally here, in Poland, supports Barrack Obama and is glad that he's became the president Smile. And so am I.
sondosia
If you ask me, I think that people will soon get disappointed by Obama because he can't possibly live up to all the promises he made during his campaign. It happens that way each election; it's in the history books.

If Obama sets a new precedent, though, then I'll eat my words.

I don't know if he'll be good for America or not; I take everything said for the media during a campaign with some huge grains of salt, which is why I'm kind of glad that I'm not a citizen and can't vote. How am I supposed to choose?

All I care is that he makes things better. I don't care what party he belongs to or what color his skin is.
liljp617
sondosia wrote:
If you ask me, I think that people will soon get disappointed by Obama because he can't possibly live up to all the promises he made during his campaign. It happens that way each election; it's in the history books.

If Obama sets a new precedent, though, then I'll eat my words.

I don't know if he'll be good for America or not; I take everything said for the media during a campaign with some huge grains of salt, which is why I'm kind of glad that I'm not a citizen and can't vote. How am I supposed to choose?

All I care is that he makes things better. I don't care what party he belongs to or what color his skin is.

I'm pretty sure he'll set a new (more positive) precedent. It's hard not to after what we've had.

And certainly many people will be disappointed, many who voted against him are already bitter...understandably. But he most definitely won't be able to live up to all his promises, not in 4 years at least. The state we're in right now simply won't allow it. Things are going to take quite a while before they get as good as people want.
truespeed
liljp617 wrote:
But he most definitely won't be able to live up to all his promises, not in 4 years at least.

He has said that though,so he is not misleading anyone,he has said it will take more than one term to right the damage that has been done to the american economy.
gandalfthegrey
I think more history will be made in the near future.

I believe Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal will be the republican nominee in 2012. And I believe that the Democratic party will nominate a woman in 2016... thankfully not Hilary Clinton though. Laughing
palavra

i think if obama really wants to change something he should start with guantanamo.
if people in guantanamo are guilty bring them to court,if not free them

otherwise
his being president will turn to a false interpretation of the dream of late martin luther king.

Quote:

The US military has refused to release five Guantanamo Bay detainees - despite confirming it is to drop war crimes charges against them.

No reason was given for the decision on Tuesday.

The military said in a statement it retained the right to file new charges against the five men at a later time.

The announcement came a month after lieutenant colonel Darrel Vandeveld, the former prosecutor for the five suspects, resigned after criticising his own office for withholding evidence helpful to the defence of another detainee.

Six military prosecutors have quit the Guantanamo court in the last four years.

Some have said that the US government sought to use evidence obtained through torture while one alleged the trials were tainted by political interference.

'False confessions'

Anthony Romero, the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, said: "The implosion of these five prosecutions painfully underscores how the Bush administration's torture and detention policies have failed to render justice in any sense of the word."

Noor Uthman Muhammed, Binyam Mohamed, Sufyiam Barhoumi, Ghassan Abdullah al Sharbi, and Jabran Said Bin al Qahtani had been charged with conspiracy and "providing material support for terrorism".

Binyam Mohamed, an Ethiopian-born British resident, had been accused of training and plotting "dirty bomb" attacks on targets in the US with Jose Padilla, a Chicago gang member once also accused of plotting a radioactive bomb attack.

Mohamed has said repeatedly that he is innocent and gave false confessions while being tortured in a Moroccan prison.

He had been transferred there extrajudicially after being captured in Pakistan and held for 18 months before being sent to Guantanamo.

'Cut and beaten'

Mohamed said he told interrogators what he believed they wanted to hear after he had been beaten, strung up by his arms and cut on his penis and chest with scalpels.

Susan Crawford, appointed by the Pentagon to oversee the tribunals, upheld charges on Tuesday against Mohammed Hashim, an Afghan detainee, of supporting terrorism and spying on US troops in Afghanistan.

Robert Gates, the US defence secretary later said the detention facility will not close before the Bush administration leaves office in January.

"This is an issue that'll have to be addressed early on by a new administration," he said.

The Pentagon also announced that it will allow victims of alleged terrorist attacks and their relatives to attend trials at Guantanamo.
mrcool
Congratulations President Barack Obama!!!

We are watching on you!!!

Good luck!!!
TomGrey
Quote:
I hope America's foreign policy changes. No more wars.

Excuse me??? What about the 'more troops for Afghanistan'?
What about 'bombing Pakistan' if they are unable to restrain terrorists there?

This McCain supporter will be interested to see how long it takes Obama lovers to be upset at his upcoming failure in Afghanistan.

He will be MY President, when the takes office 20 January, and I wish him well. He might even be able to get a better deal on Iraq bases than McCain would have, since the Iraqi opposition to the bases deal was more a bargaining ploy than real conviction, at least for many of the Iraqi politicians.

Afghanistan's going to be getting more troops.

But with Obama promising more talk, we can all expect to see MORE wars, like Russia's invasion of Georgia, since the true bullies of the world will think they can more easily get away with it. I fear.

When he closes Guantanomo, what's going to happen to the terrorists there?

How long before Iran gets a nuke? 2 years? 10 months? I'm guessing less than 2 years, now, but I've been wrong before on this.

If terrorists do more provocations, and bomb attacks and more American civilians die -- will that mean it's OK for Obama to lead in a renewed American led anti-terrorism war? (I do almost expect this; I certainly fear it and hope it doesn't happen.)
coolclay
I agree with Tomgrey. Now that Obama is Prez, anyone around the world will think they can get away with anything, because he'll just want to "talk" about it. I can definitely see WW3 happening under Obama's watch. While I disagree with some things the current administration has done, McCain is nothing like Bush, and never has been. Obama's best tactic was glueing McCain to Bush, and it worked, as underhanded as it was.

I just hope and pray Obama can pull off everything he blabbed about during the campaign, and that our country doesn't get destroyed because of him, only time will tell.
handfleisch
This says it all

nigam
I am confident that President Barack Obama can handle and take care of his fellow people.
surdy
This victory has no doubt been a milestone in US history. The unthinkable has happened.
But along with the positive emotion in the air I have concerns ...not that I doubt Obama ...but people have put mammoth weight of expectations from him. The fight has just begun for 'Change' he has promised. I hope he is able to deliver on what he has promised and make world a better and more peaceful place.
ocalhoun
surdy wrote:
The unthinkable has happened.

An interesting phrase... Why unthinkable?
jwellsy
Barry huissein will be historic.
It will soon be tragicly apparent what a poor choice people made.
The honeymoon will soon be over.

Color-blind.
People were so focused on color they were blind to politics.