FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Vista update serious error

flatliner
I have windows vista on my main computer at the moment and I was just after booting it up and after about 5min it freeze up and I had to turn the power off to reboot it. (never crashed before and been using for 5 months now) It then started to boot up saying 1 of 3 updates. So it did that and then shutdown and restarted the boot sequence everytime for each update which I thought was wierd. Now it been rebooting and shutting down for the passed 10 mims and everytime on update 3 of 3 it goes to 87% and then say shutting down. Then it reboots and the whole thing happens again.

Anyone having the same problem? Any information or links for support you could send me would be very helpful thanks. I have already googled it and also try the windows website, nothing.

Thanks
Ciaran
flatliner
I been trying my windows vista cd using the repair system options, trying to search for problems or restore system from a restore piont, but nothing has worked so far. I will try use linux to get my data out of the hard drive, although i really really dont want to have to do that SadSadSad
ocalhoun
I can't help much but to say good luck with getting the files off with linux, and reinstall windows.
(Do use linux to retrieve the files: it will ignore the NTFS file permissions on some folders, which would cause another windows installation to refuse you access to those files.)

A good rule:
NEVER do windows updates (or any software updates really) unless these conditions are met:
1-You know what the update is, and what it will do.
2-You need what the update does to fix a problem or improve the system in a demonstrable way.

That's because updates will often screw stuff up, while they rarely give any real benefit.

(The exception to the rule: If security is a big issue for you, you should do all security updates.)
flatliner
ocalhoun wrote:
I can't help much but to say good luck with getting the files off with linux, and reinstall windows.
(Do use linux to retrieve the files: it will ignore the NTFS file permissions on some folders, which would cause another windows installation to refuse you access to those files.)

A good rule:
NEVER do windows updates (or any software updates really) unless these conditions are met:
1-You know what the update is, and what it will do.
2-You need what the update does to fix a problem or improve the system in a demonstrable way.

That's because updates will often screw stuff up, while they rarely give any real benefit.

(The exception to the rule: If security is a big issue for you, you should do all security updates.)

Yes by the looks of it I will be removing all my needed data using knoppix , which I can access all the files and folders, even the windows onces. Eveything, which I am very happy about. I was planning to move to linux anyway. So feck it ha :L

Thanks for your reply