FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Voting problems

Jinx
I can't understand why we are having so much trouble with voting machines across the country. In a land with an ATM machine on every corner, which we trust to handle our money everyday, why can't we develop a reliable, secure, easy to use voting machine?????

There are numerous ways to ensure that voters register only once and vote only once, and I can't understand why we don't use them. Heck, in this day and age we should be able to get online, log into a voting site and cast our ballot from the comfort of our home computer.

It boggles the mind.

Some ideas:

Make a voting machine like an ATM. When you register to vote you get a plastic card like an ATM card with a unique number on it. The number wouldn't be connected you you as an individual (preserving the anonymity of the process), it would be more like the numbers you take when you get in line at the DMV - just proves that there has been only one vote per registered voter. Then you go to the voting machine, insert the card, make your selections, the machine prints out a receipt just like an ATM so you can be sure your vote was registered properly. If the receipt matches your choices you drop it in a ballot box that acts as a backup for manual counting in case something happens to the electronic records. Then the machine keeps the voter card. If the receipt doesn't mach your selections (say you hit a wrong button) then you can call for a poll worker to help you correct your vote.

That's just one idea, and I'm sure there are many other set-ups that would be just as effective. I just can't understand why we can't seem to get them to work.

Seems pretty simple to me.
ocalhoun
Where I live, they just use fill-in-the-bubbles type sheets just like the ones everybody learns to use in school to answer tests on.
These are then scanned into a computer system and kept as a paper record.

It seems like the perfect way to go to me, and it is probably cheaper (and better) than electronic voting booths.
TurtleShell
Jinx wrote:
I can't understand why we are having so much trouble with voting machines across the country. In a land with an ATM machine on every corner, which we trust to handle our money everyday, why can't we develop a reliable, secure, easy to use voting machine?????

I've been wondering the same thing. Not only that, but it's not like the problems we've been experiencing with the voting machines is a brand new problem. They've had loads of time to fix this and still, they can't come up with a solution? My god, look at what they can make cell phones do. But voting machines are still so flawed? no excuse.
liljp617
You don't think there were bugs and problems with ATM machines when they were first used by the masses? Especially equivalent to the number of people who use voting machines all within a 12 hour period? It's inevitable there will be bugs. I would imagine the amount of problems is minuscule compared to the amount of votes that went through perfectly fine.