FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I think my computer has 2 systems? Very urgent help!!!!

gyraluzie
Okay. I recently reinstalled the provided windows xp operating system cd because my computer was kinda ****** up.

During the setup, it gave me an error of a missing file: D:/i386/WINNTUPG/NETUPGRD.DLL

But I stupidly went on with the setup and ignored like 20 other missing files because i was very desperate to get my laptop running smoothly again. The setup was done and gave me a fresh computer. Only it wasnt fresh. The old files still existed in the system and my computer is as slow as ever. Every click I make it freezes for like 2 minutes.

So my guess is it overwrote the older system but not completely and now its all ****** up. Because the reinstallation was supposed to repair and freshen my system right? Im probably wrong but ill be so thankful if someone tells me so!

Please help....
I'm becoming more and more frustrated everyday. All i want is a damn clean computer and I wont ****** it up again if I ever get to fix it.

im very very very very very very very desperate.

Thanks in advance.
Pepperfan
There are several things you can do. If you have all your data backed up and all the application cd's easily available. If not back everything up and get your disks together. Then I suggest formatting your hard drive then reinstalling.

Make sure that your Windows CD is extra clean. Then During the install tell windows setup to delete your partitions and then create a new one. select ntfs for your file system. If you still get the message about missing files it may be you have a bad cd.

Charles
Chinmoy
missing files will be a problem.get a clean CD, or use open source linux distros.
Skye001
backup your files to disc, external hard drive, heck even create a new partition with linux if you need to and then move your files. After that do a new install of XP, delete your old partitions and format the disk.
ServalM
Pepperfan wrote:
There are several things you can do. If you have all your data backed up and all the application cd's easily available. If not back everything up and get your disks together. Then I suggest formatting your hard drive then reinstalling.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, he was talking about a notebook and I know recent notebooks make use of a back-up partition that you can easily call. So, you don't have to fuzz around with cd's and stuff, you can simply reinstall xp with the back-up partition in it Smile.
If I'm indeed wrong, do as the other people recommended and back everything up, reinstall windows by using the cd and offcourse, don't forget to format everything Smile

Yours forever,
internetjobs
yes, all branded laptops has its own recovery so its necessary to have a data backup and all operating system related files should be in the recovery partition.
go ahead and do the system recovery..

Thanks Very Happy
ssthanapati
just get ur important data backed up... and format the drive using ur installation cd.. then install a fresh copy