FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How easy is it to uninstall Ubuntu Studio?

DoctorBeaver
I had Ubuntu Hardy and then installed Studio over the top. I don't use the programs from Studio so I may as welll free up some disk space. Can I just use Synaptic to uninstall it? Will it revert to Hardy if I uninstall Studio?
fadirocks
not sure but
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/CommunitySupport
join the IRC channel
moofang
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I had Ubuntu Hardy and then installed Studio over the top. I don't use the programs from Studio so I may as welll free up some disk space. Can I just use Synaptic to uninstall it? Will it revert to Hardy if I uninstall Studio?

Hmm, Ubuntu Studio is essentially the regular ubuntu but dressed up with a plethora of extra multimedia software. If you don't need any of the software, then why bother with Ubuntu studio? Its probably true that Ubuntu Studio - extra software = regular ubuntu Razz
DoctorBeaver
moofang wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

Hmm, Ubuntu Studio is essentially the regular ubuntu but dressed up with a plethora of extra multimedia software. If you don't need any of the software, then why bother with Ubuntu studio? Its probably true that Ubuntu Studio - extra software = regular ubuntu Razz

I installed it to try it out as I do quite a lot of multimedia work. However, I can do nearly all of what I want with other software I've got so I the Studio extras are superfluous.
mehulved
Try the following command, I believe it should work
Code:

sudo apt-get remove ubuntustudio-desktop

This should remove all ubuntu studio packages.
DoctorBeaver
mehulved - I just entered that into Terminal and it said that 32.8Kb of space would be freed. I think a lot more than that was used when I installed it. I didn't proceed as it didn't look as if it would remove everything.
Fire Boar
That's right - ubuntustudio-desktop is just a metapackage that depends on all the actual ubuntu studio programs. Look in synaptic, select the ubuntustudio-desktop package and click "Properties", then view the "Dependencies" tab. You will find the packages that need to be removed in there - pick and choose, because there are some you'll definitely need. Note that by default, the package manager installs all recommended packages as well as ones depended on.

Here's a good thing to do. Jot down the whole list somewhere (there'll be a command in apt to do that but I'm not sure what) and then remove from that list everything listed as a dependency or recommended package for ubuntu-desktop (a different package). That'll leave you with the packages that come with ubuntu studio only, and not plain ubuntu.
DoctorBeaver
That's a lot of faffing about and I really can't be bothered with it. I'm just going to leave it. Thanks anyway.
mehulved
Give this last try
Code:

sudo apt-get remove ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds ubuntustudio-theme ubuntustudio-video ubuntustudio-wallpapers

But, be careful and check which programs are being removed. if satisfied go ahead with the transaction.
DoctorBeaver
mehulved - thank you but I'm just going to leave it