FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Crime and punishment

Do you think it a good idea for the punishment to fit the crime?
yes
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

icecool
NOOOOOOOO -NOT usa bashing.
and NOOOO - NOT attacking that totally stupid and superfluous "right to bear arms".

BUT

just trying to find out what not only forum members in the USA think but also the ones all over the world.

once again we read in the news a shocking story:
Quote:
Police: Shooter feared trick-or-treater was robber
SUMTER, S.C. An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday.

Quentin Patrick, 22, is accused of killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw on Friday night. T.J.'s 9-year-old brother, Ahmadre Darrisaw, and their father, Freddie Grinnell, were injured but were released after being treated at a hospital.

The family attended a Halloween celebration in downtown Sumter, 45 miles east of Columbia, then stopped at Patrick's house because the porch light was on, police said. Another sibling was with them, but wasn't hurt.

Police said at least two of the boys were wearing ghoulish masks when they knocked on the door. The boys' mother and a toddler stayed in the car nearby.

Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows after hearing the knock, Police Chief Patty Patterson said.

from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081101/ap_on_re_us/trick_or_treat_killing

to me this is absolutely horrible and tragic.
i will hear but YES, that guy had a right to "bear arms". he was robbed and shot before so he made a "mistake".

wtf?????

what about the "right to life" of the kid???
and his family?
and his friends?

what about "reasonable" behaviour in society?
to say that he suffered from "post traumatic disorder" is crazy..
i was beat up as a kid.
i was robbed.
does that mean that i have an excuse to hurt, maim and kill every time i'm pissed off with somebody?
NO
there are rules in society and i eityher abide by them or i bugger off.

now just one question to the gun lobby who always say it's not the guns that are dangerous, it's the people. I AGREE.
but unless WE as a society can NOT guarantee that ALL of us behave in a RESPONSIBLE manner it is the DUTY of society to CONTROL access to guns.

do we say BAN all cars because some people use them to carry out crimes? or are careless enough to maim or kill others? NO. we try to educate and train anybody who LEGALLY can drive a car. we build locks and immobilisers into them so people who are not AUTHORISED can't use them. we clearly mark them with plates so they can easitly be traced and the owner identified and the perpetrator punished. this is CONTROL as good as we can make it.

do we apply this to guns?
NO

i just have finished reading a book by robert a. heinlein, one of the more famous sf writers. in one of his stories he describes a world where "the punishment fits the crime" if the crime was obvious and 100 % provenand it was against a persons welfare - be it economic, physical or mental.
you run someone over with your car and it is proven by FACTS that it is your fault - you get run over in the same way, controlled, as a punishment. no excuse for "i've been in a hurry" - you did harm to another human being.
you burn down somebodys property - your opwn is burned down AND you have to compensate the victim. you burn down the property while a person is inside and is killed - you will be burned down yourself and killed in the same way.

in his novel he describes this world virtually crime free and one where people are considerate and polite to each other.

well.......
one can dream

happy halloween
cheers
ocalhoun
Quote:
An ex-convict

Why did an ex-convict have a fully automatic assault rifle? (Which (by all state laws I'm familiar with) should require not only the normal checks for any firearm, but also a more difficult to procure full-auto firearms license)
I really suspect he obtained it illegally.
If that is so, then whether or not it should be legal for him to have it is a useless question.
harismushtaq
The incident is very sadening. I think there should be considerations and rules about who can have a fire arm. Should all security personals should also have firearms? There was once some shoot out at some place and a small boy, terrified with the sound of fires ran for his home. A local security guard, also listening to the fires, got confused with the running of the child and shot him dead.

Once upon a time, a security guard refused to fire on armed robbers that were robbing some people on the road saying that he is afraid.

So when a person request for a license to a fire arm, there should be a medical checkup and atleast four people living in his neghbourhood or his office should testify that this person is highly responsive, alert and sensible in his behavor, even in panic situations.
ocalhoun
harismushtaq wrote:

So when a person request for a license to a fire arm, there should be a medical checkup and atleast four people living in his neghbourhood or his office should testify that this person is highly responsive, alert and sensible in his behavor, even in panic situations.

A medical checkup? What in the world for? "Sorry, you can't buy a gun right now, because it looks like you've got a broken leg."

four people testifying? What if he's a loner, almost hermit type person? He has no 2nd amendment right then?

How about a background check (where you don't sell to convicts) for one thing.
A drug test would also be appropriate.

I'm pretty sure that the person in the article had gotten his gun illegally anyway, so what's the point of further restricting legal firearms sales? That won't affect illegal sales at all!
liljp617
ocalhoun wrote:
harismushtaq wrote:

A medical checkup? What in the world for? "Sorry, you can't buy a gun right now, because it looks like you've got a broken leg."

I would imagine he meant mental health assessment. Which is perfectly reasonable in my opinion.