FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sid Meier's "Civilization" series

Starrfoxx
I never played this legendary series until recently. I've been so disappointed on how modern games are being handled, that I decided to go back in time a bit. I bought the Civilization Chronicles set which includes Civ, Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold (along with two expansions), Civ 3 complete, and the base Civ 4 game. I also bought Civ 4 Complete Collection, so that I could have one nice DVD that had Civ 4 and it's 2 expansions, and then place that in my Chronicles set.

I wanted to start with the original. I've been playing Civ for Windows and also the original DOS version of Civ for a little while. I like the original DOS version much better than the Windows version.

Recently, I had started playing Civ 2. This is a fun one. I love the 5 advisors that you can consult.

Which Civ game is your favorite?
leontius
I played Civ 3 and 4 and the series is one of my most favourite!!! Civ can make me spend hours in front of the computer forgetting to sleep...

I like Civ 4 better because of the graphic (duh!) and the tech tree is more varied, eg. some civilizations can really focus on one type of tech while in Civ 3 you need to balance everything in order to advance age.
David_Pardy
I played a LOT of Civilization 2 for quite a while.

I really enjoyed Civ3 when it came out, but now I only play Civ4 and Civ2. The Beyond the Sword expansion for Civ4 really makes it just that little bit better so I play with the BTS extra features exclusively when I play Civ4 now.
Starrfoxx
Yeah, I can see myself being stuck on Civ 2 for awhile. I've got tons of scenarios I can play, plus Civ 2 Test of Time which is an enhanced and extended version of Civ 2.

What annoys me is that the Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold version I have plays only 4 songs over and over again, while the original Civ 2 had a ton more to listen to. I found one site that had the Civ 2 soundtrack, so I'll just make a CD and pop it in when I play. Actually, they designed these games so you can put in any CD and have any type of music you want. I noticed that Age of Empires 2 is like this as well. I discovered that today when I stuck my Wings Greatest Hits CD in. I was hearing "Live and Let Die" while my barbaric tribe was starting out. It was kinda funny. Laughing
warriorpoets
Civilization IV is my favorite in the series. Of all the games however, I still think I've probably lost more time playing the original. We can just say that grades in school suffered. Razz
zellfaze
Out of them all I think Civ 2 was my favorite. I have been a fan of the series since the first Civ came out.

I have yet to play Civ 4 sadly. Sad
David_Pardy
You can get Civ4 pretty cheap now, I got the vanilla version (no expansions) for about AU$25 which is a bargain considering new games cost $90-$100 and rarely drop below $50 when they're past their 'new' period.

Excluding all of EA's sports games, they go down to $20 by the end of each year.
ThePolemistis
David_Pardy wrote:

I really enjoyed Civ3 when it came out, but now I only play Civ4 and Civ2. The Beyond the Sword expansion for Civ4 really makes it just that little bit better so I play with the BTS extra features exclusively when I play Civ4 now.

Don't your eyes hurt when you play Civ 2 after playing civ 3 or 4 due to the "dumbing down" of graphics. Mine do. hehe.
Damn them square tiles, but civ2 still rocks!!! Very Happy
David_Pardy
Nah, I play old games almost as much as I play new games!

They look great on LCD monitors, especially when your memory of them is on 13" CRT screens with a maximum resolution of 640x480!
grashopa
Civ2 - I remember trying to beat everyone to building the great library and various other wonders Smile And trying to stop the computer from building towns in your area Smile

The game showed you the differences in technology very well. The advantage of railroads for example.

Haha - I might just have to go play again Smile
Starrfoxx
I'm going through and playing through the scenarios now. I'm playing the alien invasion one, which is kind of neat. It takes awhile, but slowly and surely I am invading the planet with my superior technology.
Nutteloos
I've played Civ II for quite a while, even when I was really too young to understand most of the tactics involved... it was fun though, with a computer on Chieftain (was that the easiest level?) and just expanding and expanding...

Recently I picked up Civ IV and it's absolutely lovely. Things like culture, religion, etc. add so much more depth even! I really love playing that game, although it does tend to suck up a lot of my time.
Starrfoxx
My Civ Chronicles set came with a DVD of features about Sid Meier and the Civ series. We watched the special about Sid Meier from the G4 interview, which was very interesting. Alpha Centauri and Railroads look like another two games I would be interested in.

I had no idea that "Solo Flight" was from Sid Meier too. I remember playing that game on my grandpa's Commodore 64 when I was a kid.

I wish they would come up with a Sid Meier box set of games. Many of those older games will fit on one DVD-ROM with no trouble. Couple it with DoxBox, and you'll have a nice retro set of games to play.
zellfaze
ThePolemistis wrote:
David_Pardy wrote:

Don't your eyes hurt when you play Civ 2 after playing civ 3 or 4 due to the "dumbing down" of graphics. Mine do. hehe.
Damn them square tiles, but civ2 still rocks!!! Very Happy

I played Civ2 before Civ3 Very Happy So I never had that problem.
sebbe44
I love the whole serie, and i have played them all, (the ps3 too),
I like the DOS and Civ IV, but the PS3 isnt too shabby either Wink
HotspurOT
CIV ONE was the one that almost broke me up with my girlfriend.. "Just one more move, honey!.. good lord, it's 3 AM!"

So I'd have to say the original.. still the best..
Dean_The_Great
I played Civ I a lot and then much later played Civ IV. I got to say they're both great, but because of the shear awesomeness (and lack of pollution) I like Civ IV way better. When you're playing Civ IV like a madman you'll totally understand.
bogger
currently playing civnet.

best way to faff ever, 1 PC, 2 players, it's like worms, but much much longer!

anyone here played the boardgame? it's epic
{name here}
I really like Civ 4 and its expansion pack BtS. I've played Civ II before and even though it's obvious that Civ 4 would have better graphics it sort of knocked me down. That game ate up my time more than any other game I've ever owned.
Nutteloos
bogger wrote:
currently playing civnet.

best way to faff ever, 1 PC, 2 players, it's like worms, but much much longer!

anyone here played the boardgame? it's epic

I'm planning on starting a game of Civ on new year's eve with a couple friends. Would you recommend it for such an occasion?

Edit: the board game, not the video game.
bogger
do you have 48 hours?

pre-read the rules Razz

also, if you're hosting, set the board up before everyone arrives.

consider putting a turn time limit on too. basically, everything to make it get done quicker.
Also, make sure there's something to do when it's not your turn, like lots of drinking ,etc.
vicar013
I can't see how Civ IV could translate to consoles. Theres a host of reasons why you need a keyboard for a start
and even recent attempts at moving tactical PC games over to consoles, like Command and Conquer, have been quite weak.
Gameplay is lost when you have to furiously fiddle with a controller constantly, and theres no time for a little Jimmy J Choker on the side (or whatever takes yr fancy).
Where's the humanity?
Nutteloos
48 hours? Seriously?

We may have a problem then... or not. Smile

I'll take your advice into account, thanks.
bogger
in fact, I'm actually playing a game (standard) on Wednesday in my college gamers soc, I'll let you know how it goes, if you remind me Razz
misterXY
warriorpoets wrote:
Civilization IV is my favorite in the series. Of all the games however, I still think I've probably lost more time playing the original. We can just say that grades in school suffered. Razz

Hehe, a dorky game but no grades for it, wtf? lol But l really agree with ya
misterXY
Can't get enough of Civ4:BTS, freaking amazing game, brings back Civ2 and Civ3 and Civ4 into one amazing game, some of the units l haven't touch or heard of in years, Sid Miers, you are awesome.
Ghengis
Civ 4 is really fun, but I really wish I could take it on the go -- Civ Revolution is great because I can play it in short bursts. It's really simplified/streamlined, though. If they had systems as complex as Civ 4 with the 2D graphics that make Civ Rev possible on portable systems.... well, that would rock.
misterXY
Ghengis wrote:
Civ 4 is really fun, but I really wish I could take it on the go -- Civ Revolution is great because I can play it in short bursts. It's really simplified/streamlined, though. If they had systems as complex as Civ 4 with the 2D graphics that make Civ Rev possible on portable systems.... well, that would rock.

highend notebook? not a cheap solution but more portable then a laptop in some cases. Civ4 on a psp or something would be extrondinary slow or really cutback
Tuvitor
So many hours of my life have been lost to the Civilization series, and I regret none of it! Civilization IV is my favorite.
misterXY
Tuvitor wrote:
So many hours of my life have been lost to the Civilization series, and I regret none of it! Civilization IV is my favorite.

Got a new job tmmrw, haven't slept at all, due too "just one more turn" syndrome. lol The beyond the sword expansion makes it worth while.
Tuvitor
That is indeed an awesome expansion.
Ghengis
misterXY wrote:
Ghengis wrote:

highend notebook? not a cheap solution but more portable then a laptop in some cases. Civ4 on a psp or something would be extrondinary slow or really cutback

Actually, what I meant was that I'd like to see the Civ 4 "rules" (gameplay, etc.) applied to the Civ Rev DS or PSP *engine*. So the burden on the processor would be minimal. They cut down / "streamlined" Civ Rev, which is fun and all, but there's no reason they couldn't create a full-featured Civ experience on today's handheld game systems.