FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Three words: Firewall. Networking. Issue. (Help!)

ProfessorY91
So lately I've screwed myself over several times experimenting with proxies and my internet connection in general. You would think that I would have learned. Anyhow:

I'm trying to set up an ad-hoc wireless network connection between my newly bought laptop and my desktop computer. My desktop computer is equipped with a D-Link WUA-1340 wireless network adapter, WiFi capable. (Its a USB plug and play device). Anyhow, my desktop runs Windows XP Professional, has a decent amount of RAM, has a Netgear Ethernet Card, and is currently able to browse the internet (without the D-Link Wireless Card). My laptop is also capable of supporting wired or wireless internet. The laptop runs Windows Vista Home Premium, (64-bit).

Like I said, I'm trying to set up an ad-hoc network, and I am aware of the process on both XP and Vista. I have actually gotten to the point where, when my laptop is the host, the desktop computer can connect to the network. However, no files or folders seem to be shared. That includes the bloody public folder, and the Shared Documents and blah folders on XP.

Troublesome software that could be running on laptop:

Comodo Firewall
Avast Anti-Virus
Windows (Stupid, Effin, Useless) Firewall
Windows Defender

Troublesome software that could be running on desktop:

Windows Firewall (XP version)
ZoneAlarm (Free Version)
AVG (Avira Antivir Free)

I swear to you I've disabled the lot of them. Every damn one. Terminated the processes, closed the programs, set them to disabled... ENDED.

(everything short of uninstalling them)

The Problem:

*Turns purple in rage*:

..Cannot share files...

Helpful Error Messages:
One time, when I tried using my desktop as the host, Vista's internet connection diagnosis thingy spat out something along the lines of: TCP/IP/UDP Port 450/500 is blocked.
I'm no expert in portforwarding, but can someone confirm that this is a modem issue? If so, what can I do about it? Is there something that is wrong with my ad-hoc network? Any information I'm missing?

Please post. And you don't have to be an expert... I may have done something completely deserving of a "D'oh!"

Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading the post.

Y
Pepperfan
A couple of questions.

One Are you behind a Hardware firewall also? If not go to GRC.com to the shields up section and scan your ports to make sure that your ports are ping-able.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Two Why are you using an ad-hoc network? They are not very secure and prone to being hacked.

Charles
ProfessorY91
Question 1:
I think I am behind a hardware firewall. How do I fix this? Here are the text results from GRC Below.

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2008-11-02 at 23:12:49

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
26 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Crap! So how do I get these ports open? Which ones do I open? (Argh! Thanks Pepperfan)

Question 2:

I am using an ad-hoc network because: a) I dont have a ethernet crossover cable. b) I don't want to make an actual network using LAN. c) Computers must be within 30 feet of each other to connect to the ad-hoc network. I assure you, I live in the country, and there is no one for at least three miles. d) I am not concerned about hacking, I simply want to transfer my data, about 40GB worth... quickly. e) I don't have an external harddrive.

If you know of any other faster way to transfer data, please let me know.

Y
brokenadvice
You could try connecting them with a straight through Ethernet cable, some devices can switch it on demand. I think you could also bridge the connections on your desktop, but I have never tried that.
Pepperfan
I hate to say it but you are still behind the firewall. I can't tell you how to disable your fire walls but at least you now know what direction to go. Get off the firewalls.

I hate to say it but Look on the internet for a hardware firewall / router and then you do not need software firewalls. You will be so much better off.

Charles
Skye001
Windows Vista is a pain lol?

Firstly my advise would be disable windows firewall (unless your on service pack 2 or above).

Have you enabled Internet Sharing Connection on the two network connections? the wired should be the one to the internet and wireless for others to connect to.

now setting up your wireless ad-hoc network on xp do the below:
go to start > control panel
select Network and Internet connections
then right click your wireless network connection and select properties
in the wireless network connection properties windows, click on the wireless networks tab
then under the "prefered" networks section click add

In the Wireless network properties dialog box, on the Association tab, type the name of your ad hoc wireless network in Network name (SSID) box. For example, you could name your wireless network MyHomeNetwork.
Clear the The key is provided for me automatically check box and select the This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network check box.
Create a 13-digit password and type it in both the Network key and Confirm network key boxes. For the best security, include letters, numbers, and punctuation. Then click OK.
Click ok again to save changes
Bingo u just now created your wireless ad-hoc network, connect to to this network on both XP and VISTA and internet and file sharing should work.

Also try pinging each interface, make sure each interface has an ip, you may have to add static ips. but for the sake of of less headaches get a wireless router it will save u so much time!
ProfessorY91
This problem/topic is now resolved and closed.

I figured out that Comodo Firewall runs a secondary process which is near impossible to kill - even if you stop the main process, the firewall remains in effect. I had to run the program in 'disabled' mode to get the two computers to share files with each other.

@Skye001, I didn't need a tutorial on how to create an ad-hoc network, but thanks for your advice anyways. Also, I have a wireless router, but it's too much trouble to go through setting up a home network. I already run a server at my house, and I don't want to have to transfer a 1 TB of data to the server and again to my laptop. Thanks for the help.

@Pepperfan, My router didn't seem to be the problem after all. I did some manual portforwarding awhile back to get uTorrent working, and that wasn't too big of a hassle. Now that I'm familiar with the process, the only issues I had were with software (Comodo). Thanks for the help.

@brokenadvice, I have yet to discover a device that switches on demand. Bridging connections is for Internet (or LAN/WAN) networks, and I doubt that you could bridge an ad-hoc network anyways. In any case, thanks for the advice.

Y

Arrow
ProfessorY91

I figured out that Comodo Firewall runs a secondary process which is near impossible to kill - even if you stop the main process, the firewall remains in effect. I had to run the program in 'disabled' mode to get the two computers to share files with each other.

@Skye001, I didn't need a tutorial on how to create an ad-hoc network, but thanks for your advice anyways. Also, I have a wireless router, but it's too much trouble to go through setting up a home network. I already run a server at my house, and I don't want to have to transfer a 1 TB of data to the server and again to my laptop. Thanks for the help.

@Pepperfan, My router didn't seem to be the problem after all. I did some manual portforwarding awhile back to get uTorrent working, and that wasn't too big of a hassle. Now that I'm familiar with the process, the only issues I had were with software (Comodo). Thanks for the help.

@brokenadvice, I have yet to discover a device that switches on demand. Bridging connections is for Internet (or LAN/WAN) networks, and I doubt that you could bridge an ad-hoc network anyways. In any case, thanks for the advice.

Y

Arrow
ProfessorY91

Y

Arrow