FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hibernate mode

fox2000
is it safe to shut the computer down often with hibernate mode? I'm just curious.

thank you
metalfreek
If it was not safe than it would not be there isn't it?
TheOnionRack
Of course it is safe! I use it all the time on me EEE PC. Really handy just to safely shut it off without having to go through a full shutdown/reboot every time I want to use it. Just make sure you shut it down every now and then, as it does save the contents of your Ram, and it is basically the equivalent of leaving it on all the time. It never gets the chance to get rid of the rubbish that has built up in the RAM.
Studio Madcrow
It's safe, but by and large, I would avoid doing so, simply because I'm old school and don't really like my computer to be in any mode other than "on" or "off". Plus, to hibernate, you have to dump the whole contents of RAM into a special hard drive partition, which can take almost as much time as a full shutdown or bootup...
Fire Boar
As long as you have no programs causing a memory leak, yes. Unfortunately, if you do have a memory leak in there somewhere there will be this lump of memory that sticks around completely unused but reserved for an application that's already finished running. These can in the worst cases loop and stack up, meaning you have a huge bunch of memory doing nothing but taking up space. You'll need to do a reboot to get rid of that sort of thing.
Dennise
fox2000 wrote:
is it safe to shut the computer down often with hibernate mode? I'm just curious.

thank you

fox2000,

The replies to your question are right on. Hibernate is safe and very convenient but you DO need to do a restart or normal power off now and then or your PC will become sluggish. You'll know this when your PC starts taking longer times to enter AND wake up from hibernate. Smile
[FuN]goku
I use hibernate constantly on my laptop. I think i reboot once a week sometimes.. depends on if something requires a restart or not. It's really handy, cuz it doesn't take as long to boot up.