FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Talk vs Skype

dude_xyx
Which is better for voice chat ? Skype has video conference option while Google talk still havent given a option to use cam. But overall which application is the best ? Which one you use and what are your reasons for sticking to it ?
Edreams
I always use Skype, its better, his style , performance..
xcloudy
I prefer skype. As it could be communicated with traditional line phone.
Another reason is that I have lot's of friends using skype, but few on GTalk.
cyberbuddy
i think skype is better than google talk because skype offers good sound quality and supports web cam also..
r4inm4ker
I don't think skype and google talk has any competition at all. Google talk is very unpopular and I used it only for its basic chatting ability if there's no other alternative available. On the other side, skype has very reliable audio and video communication, and used across alot of companies,including mine. It also has pc to phone capability.
Studio Madcrow
Skype is a much better program in almost every way than Google Talk. Even if you ignore the fact that Skype can integrate with the phone network and make cheap long-distance calls. Shype is a more fully-featured program.
InsanePL
Skype is much better cuz google talk is new, I hope when they improve google talka bit it can beat skype.
ehpc
Skype is one of the best free options for voice chat over internet. It has a multi-conferencing ability, that's essential feature. And it is far more popular than Google Talk.
legion
Skype is above Google Talk at the moment. I like it because of the good sound quality when I'm using PC to phone calls.
Kelvin
Google Talk? I didn't even know Google has joined the internet chat software competition. Haha... i must be outdated. I use skype most of the time. Lately our company bought a video conferencing speaker and i tried using MSN messenger. I guess skype is still better for sound quality.
FunDa
Google chat has a simpler but very basic interface which is both good and bad.

Besides I mostly log on to my Google account to check mail or orkut or blogger and so invariably find someone online to chat with.

Skype needs more of a pre planned meeting
ChiroRecruiter
does anyone else run into skype dropping the call after several minutes?
shenyl
Yes, I use Skype and mainly to contact oversea land phone and mobile phones.

I just visited Japan, and I used it to contact my home in Singapore, and while in Singapore, I used it to contact people I know in Japan.

The cost is about 2.3 US cents per minute between Singapore and Japan.

It is even cheaper than my local calls (7 US cents per min in Singapore local call).

Cheap and good quality calls.

It is my preferred option for oversea calls.

Cheap, cheap.
surdy
ChiroRecruiter wrote:
does anyone else run into skype dropping the call after several minutes?

No i haven't encountered such a problem ..i'm on a call for hours at times ...Razz

I love gtalk for its light weight an simplicity. Now that gmail has brought video option in chat it has become more useful to me. But the amount of functionality provided by skype is much more than gtalk so i'm gonna stick to both of them right now. Gtalk for text messaging and Skype for everything else ...

The only thing i hate about skype is the amount of resources it eats up. So once gmail chat or gtalk matches most of the functions i use on skype , i'm gonna say goodybye to skype.
dude_xyx
Yes feature wise Gtalk is not match for Skype. But When you want a basic chat system running on a dial up line and pc is bit old then Gtalk works fine. Skype take lot of resources and Also lot more bandwidth than Gtalk takes.
SHARPBALL
Can you use googletalk with a usb phone one that works with skype
Da Rossa
I havent tried GTalk enough, but from what I hear Skype is still the best solution.
biljap
I use Skype every day at home, and I have to use it at work. I like and I don’t feel a need to change. It has everything I need to stay in contact with people. Very Happy
babygeek
i used both..for years...gtalk is more versatile...skype is better quality...
joostvane
All my friends use skype. In my community Gtalk didn't make his fame yet.
prithvi
I use both Skype and GTalk.

Skype definitely has more features and has a better interface than GTalk, as the latter is comparatively newer in the market.

But for all Orkut members (its a community like Facebook), GTalk is very much handy as you are connected with all your Orkut friends all the time.
FunDa
Gtalk is too basic.

Bu tthe AJAX based Gmail chat and facebook chat work automatically in all (all I've checked in atleast) computers without any installation or stuff.

So, I keep with Google's chat network, though the software Google talk is not good.

I suppose there are other good Jabber software out there - which is the protocol Google uses to be open to other networks.

Anyone know of a Gtalk replacement (Jabber based) which interfaces with google services well and is better than Gtalk ???
silverdown
I like both, however i mostly use skype for friends and such. Google talk once in a while for quick chats. it is really up to the user which they like to use.
LostOverThere
FunDa wrote:
Anyone know of a Gtalk replacement (Jabber based) which interfaces with google services well and is better than Gtalk ???

Both Pidgin and Empathy are compatible with Google Talk, however, they aren't compatible with file transfers.
papa12inch
I use skype, quite frequently I seem to get cross lines or maybe somebody is listening to my chat Laughing
The quality is good, you need good a webcam to benefit fully.
koen66
papa12inch wrote:
I use skype, quite frequently I seem to get cross lines or maybe somebody is listening to my chat Laughing
The quality is good, you need good a webcam to benefit fully.

Skype is a very stable application. It is very rarely that is doesn't work. The quality of sound is very good. I use it almost every day for work to talk to people in Argentina while i'm living in Belgium. It seems like if they are working nextdoor Smile.
FunDa
LostOverThere wrote:
FunDa wrote:

Both Pidgin and Empathy are compatible with Google Talk, however, they aren't compatible with file transfers.

Wow ... Pidgun looks good. That's the one which Linux has I guess. Thnaks,
Fake
Been using diff applications over the years. But the first time i used skype, the user on the other end asked me how the line was so clear!

that was the winner for me

skype has good ratings, but people i speak to gave me feedback on that free call itself saying it was better than using other software

skype all teh way
awazdohamko2004
Google Talk is far better than skype in my opinion ... but it does not support video conferencing as that of skype ..
FunDa
awazdohamko2004 wrote:
Google Talk is far better than skype in my opinion ... but it does not support video conferencing as that of skype ..

Google talk is good only because it can interact with Gmail chat (with audio and video too!!!)

Skype now has Desktop sharing feature too. That is simply awesome
LimpFish
I'd prefer skype over google talk any day too! especially since it is swedish Wink
tukun2009manit
dude_xyx wrote:
Which is better for voice chat ? Skype has video conference option while Google talk still havent given a option to use cam. But overall which application is the best ? Which one you use and what are your reasons for sticking to it ?

google has recently launched a module to integrate video conferencing i.e. now gmail is also available for video conferensing
chatrack
Gtalk is ok even for dial up connection where skype dont support dial up speed
lethaltriad
Right now i'm more comfortable with the interface of Skype but I can see Gtalk gaining popularity especially since most people use their email account it would be more convenient to transition over and also use their Gtalk since most of your friends would have already been on your contact list.
vaoger
i think that skpe was made to talk and video chat...
gTalk was design to fight the MSN and YM...

...hence, Skpe is far more superoir than the others compare to the Voip and video chat function...

most important thing is that..
what your friend used the most..
babarus
i use skype for video and sound connection and google anly for mail incoming.
LimpFish
google now also supports audio/video conversations right in your webbrowser with GMail!
FunDa
LimpFish wrote:
google now also supports audio/video conversations right in your webbrowser with GMail!

Yeah. Isn't that cool.

Downlaoding and installing software for chat has been what limited me from using it. Now that google has Gmail chat and audio-video too, I use chat more often. M loving it !!
jinger89
Google Talk is MUCH BETTER than Skype.

Back in the day when Skype was the only program out there that allowed for easy video chatting across platforms, they were number 1. But even in that time, I was not at all impressed with the video quality or the sound quality. Frame rate was horrible and everything sounded like it came out of a synthesizer. Skype was bad, and still is bad because they haven't improved any.

Google Talk on the other hand is much better at video conference and voice chat. Video quality is phenomenally better than Skype and the person you talk to actually sounds like who they are. Not to mention, Google Talk uses farm less resources and it is even an online app. I don't understand why people are still using Skype, give Google Talk a try and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Save yourself the trouble of setting up Skype and use Google Talk.
traxion
google talk, as it coming free with google, and it's eazy to use
LimpFish
jinger89 wrote:
Google Talk is MUCH BETTER than Skype.

Back in the day when Skype was the only program out there that allowed for easy video chatting across platforms, they were number 1. But even in that time, I was not at all impressed with the video quality or the sound quality. Frame rate was horrible and everything sounded like it came out of a synthesizer. Skype was bad, and still is bad because they haven't improved any.

Google Talk on the other hand is much better at video conference and voice chat. Video quality is phenomenally better than Skype and the person you talk to actually sounds like who they are. Not to mention, Google Talk uses farm less resources and it is even an online app. I don't understand why people are still using Skype, give Google Talk a try and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Save yourself the trouble of setting up Skype and use Google Talk.

I agree that Skype sometimes takes a lot of cpu resources and slows my computer down (it's old) however, the video and audio quality are always crisp and clear. If you have experienced anything different, I'm afraid that you are not sitting on a good internet connection my friend Smile
digall
I use skype because most of my contact are in skype.It gives nice video and sound quality.Even work nice in slow connection like 56kbps modem.
aningbo
skype of course.

the first reason. m using mac and mac version of gtalk isn't available! secondly, my college proxy disables me from using ichat/adium!!!

skype has no problem with chat and also audio/video calling. also, i got all my contacts in skype Smile
LimpFish
Skype is awesome now that my girlfriend is in China for a while (I live in Sweden). I can call her cell phone for super cheap, and when she's on her laptop we video chat for free!