FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has anybody upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10?

sondosia
I wanted to, but it seems that there's been TONS of stuff going wrong with people's installations, so I'm scared to do it now...has anybody actually done it successfully?
Fire Boar
Ubuntu 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex isn't out publicly yet. Don't upgrade until it's stable and you can get it via Adept or Add/Remove Programs (it'll tell you when the new distribution version is available). Intrepid Ibex is currently a development, bleeding-edge release of Ubuntu. It is only expected that things are going wrong.

Wait 'till it's stable, when upgrades will work across the board.
LostOverThere
It got released yesterday. Razz

People have always had problems updating Ubuntu, this release isn't anything new. My advice is to simply do a fresh install, now I know this seems like a bit of work. But I just wouldn't risk it.

My two cents.
Fire Boar
Wow, how did I miss that?

I'm off to try it. Wish me luck.
leosthenerd
I upgraded to the new version with much difficulty, but it got done and now it works for the most part...
sondosia
Well, the reason I ask is because when I upgraded to 8.04 - which I did through the Update Manager and not through a clean install - I had absolutely no problems, and the forums weren't overcrowded with people who WERE having problems...
djclue917
I've upgraded by rarely used Kubuntu Hardy installation to Intrepid even before the RC was out. Frankly, I have to say that NetworkManager sucks big time, or maybe it has something to do with its integration with Ubuntu. I don't even use NetworkManager in my desktop machine since it only has one Ethernet interface with a static IP. However, my sister's notebook needed something like NetworkManager for easily managing wireless connections. But NetworkManager never really worked. Well, actually, it would work for some short time and then stop working. Using wicd solved our wireless headaches with NetworkManager.
Agent ME
I tried to upgrade directly from 8.04 to 8.10 using the built-in upgrade system, but I felt it cluttered the system a lot with old files, and certain parts didn't really upgrade, such as some important fixes to the sound set-up and the video card drivers didn't install.. I ended up reinstalling after formatting my hard drive (I backed up useful data first). Then for some reason the grub boot-loader failed with the useful message "Error 2" on starting the computer. Eventually I figured out I could fix that by reformatting the harddrive to use 128-byte inodes. Argh...

But now that its upgraded it works very nicely. And they finally fixed some clashes between ALSA and pulseaudio for systems that don't do hardware sound mixing - now I don't have to shutdown my music program when playing a game, etc. Only problem is now my microphone doesn't work. ... Not that I used it much, but still trying to get that fixed.
mehulved
Sucessfully upgraded my sister's PC to 8.10 without any problems. Been upgrading it since I had installed 7.04 on it. Never had any big problem. Some small hiccups were there but could be solved easily. Never had to reinstall it.
toxictux
I upgraded my machine from 8.04 to 8.10 and the video drivers stopped working. as soon as i log in machine freezes. i am running intel onboard graphics chip. they dont have any updates on that either. booting up machine on command line works fine. i can log in to failsafe terminal mode but as soon as i log in to Gnome session, machine freezes. i have to powercycle the machine.

dont know what i will do. may be wait few more days and do apt-get update to see if anything has been updated yet. otherwise will have to re-install. if i can't fix it without re-install, i will go back to Fedora. i am just tired of whole Ubuntu BS. it has nothing but trouble. atlease in Fedora zone i know how it works internally, i can log in on command line and find my way around. with Ubuntu/ Debian, they have to do everything different from rest of the linux community.
{name here}
sondosia wrote:
I wanted to, but it seems that there's been TONS of stuff going wrong with people's installations, so I'm scared to do it now...has anybody actually done it successfully?

I just temporarily did while I was backing up files to return to a Windows installation, which was ironically broken while trying to get rid of Ubuntu and restoring the size of the partition. The only issue I had with it was the fact that it continually hung up if I ran more than three internet-based apps, which caused me a lot of time booting and rebooting for me.
thadnation
I'm a windows veteran, so I always do a clean install and restart after major updates. I've used Ubuntu off and on since 7.04 and 8.04 was actually not as good, I think. I decided to try Ubuntu again and it is an improvement over 8.04. I haven't had any major issues. I always have some because I run it virtualized in mac os x.
leontius
I just upgraded to 8.10 from 8.04 a few days ago. I have no problems at all when upgrading, except that a few packages are not in 8.10 yet (eg. there is no kdiff3 in intrepid, supposedly because it has not yet been upgraded to use KDE 4 which intrepid uses). My desktop feels a bit different, maybe they changed some fonts or smoothing algorithm...? Synaptic now also has a nice quick search feature. Apart from those, I don't see any big difference.
djclue917
I must say that the Kubuntu 8.10 release sucks. A lot of things were broken and up to now, still not fixed. Kdebluetooth4 is included but it doesn't work. This is due to an upgrade of the bluez stack which , of course, didn't break Ubuntu (GNOME), that's probably why the upgrade was allowed. Because of this, I had to resort to using bluez-gnome, which did a pretty good job sending files to my phone. However, the converse operation was still broken. That is, I still haven't been able to send files from my phone to my notebook. This might have something to do with using bluez-gnome in KDE.

Also, KNetworkManager sucks! I even had a hard time using my wired connection with it. Wireless connections via KNetworkManager is hopeless. Well, at least in my case. I'm using Intel WiFi Link 5100agn and I can't get any type of connection via KNetworkManager. Thank God the nm-applet for GNOME still works, and works great. I was even surprised that it detected my Nokia N81 as a modem and offered a "Mobile Broadband" connection option upon plugging in the phone.

There are also quite a number of bugs here and there. There's this bug related to Multimedia keys that is pretty annoying. Also, the KDE packages of Kubuntu is nowhere near something one can call as polished. It was like a rushed release considering that previous version of Kubuntu with KDE 3.5 have some form of user-visible customizations. KDE 4.1 is almost as vanilla as it can be but it still has quite a number of annoying bugs.

I was planning on migrating to openSUSE 11.1 early (beta5) but I changed my mind after trying out the beta5 because a lot of things are/were still broken.
ianlacy
Shocked So this is pretty much my fault, but while I was upgrading, I told the setup to keep my Grub the same. So I have all the new software, I'm just running off an old kernel. I don't think that is helping me any and its really bugging me in the back of my mind. I also have a feeling I'm getting some glitchyness because of this. For instance, when I come back from hibernate, I can no longer use my wireless internet without restarting the computer. It used to come back within a couple minutes of a restore.

Also...to add a side note...I don't think I like that integrated system status / pidgin status thing...it just seeming impractical and I don't get why you would want to combine those two

...especially when Pidgin runs with a tray icon Question
Fire Boar
Oh, repairing grub is easy enough. Just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the old kernel number to the new one, in both the initrd and kernel lines. If you're not sure what the new one is, just look in your /boot folder - all of the files there are names of your installed kernels.
mehulved
ianlacy wrote:
Shocked So this is pretty much my fault, but while I was upgrading, I told the setup to keep my Grub the same. So I have all the new software, I'm just running off an old kernel.

If you are not averse to command line it's quite easy. You just need to open /boot/grub/menu.lst file and change the kernel version number to match the new kernel. It is a very easy task but you should be confident enough to try it. And don't forget to backup the file before doing any operations on it.
djclue917
ianlacy wrote:
Shocked So this is pretty much my fault, but while I was upgrading, I told the setup to keep my Grub the same. So I have all the new software, I'm just running off an old kernel. I don't think that is helping me any and its really bugging me in the back of my mind. I also have a feeling I'm getting some glitchyness because of this. For instance, when I come back from hibernate, I can no longer use my wireless internet without restarting the computer. It used to come back within a couple minutes of a restore.

Also...to add a side note...I don't think I like that integrated system status / pidgin status thing...it just seeming impractical and I don't get why you would want to combine those two

...especially when Pidgin runs with a tray icon Question

Just run update-grub to uh, update GRUB, of course. Very Happy Once you've done that, you should now see all your installed kernels in the GRUB menu.
ggrbgl
I just installed it last night and it does have many great new features, but still seems a bit unstable and slower.
djclue917
Yeah, the "slower" feeling might actually be a fact. Several months (?) ago, I've read an article at Phoronix about comparing the past three or four release of Ubuntu. The benchmarks showed that Ubuntu is indeed getting *slower* with each release. However, I have to say that this might be due to the *new* code that hasn't stabilized yet. Think of the new(er) Intel Xorg driver (xf86-video-intel) and the newer Linux releases.

On the bright side, ext4 will definitely give ext3 tons of new features and a much needed performance boost in a lot of aspects. But what I'm really looking forward to is seeing a very stable release of btrfs. It will definitely make Ubuntu, and other Linux distros as well, faster.
dawei
Yeah, I have tried 8.10, but a clean installation.

Everything goes right, except that the CD-ROM tray is ejected and closed immediately. I mean you won't have time to take the DVD out at all. A trivial bug?

As I always place my data under /data (an entire partition), I don't worry about losing my data. So, every time, I do a clean installation.
albuferque
Yes, ubuntu 8.10 sucks but it can do some things better than Windows Vista:

http://ubuntulandia.nireblog.com/post/2008/12/22/java-se-ejecuta-mas-rapidamente-en-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex-que-en-windows-vista

Java is faster on Ubuntu, also Ubuntu ends up scoring ~20% higher on a series of standardized benchmarking tests.

ChannelWeb’s conclusion:

“The bottom line: Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition easily ranks higher than any other Linux desktop OS we’ve looked at in the Test Center. Based on performance numbers, its Ethernet and wireless management and zero licensing cost, this is an operating system we can recommend to VARs - - not just as an alternative to Windows but as a strong OS in its own right.”

http://www.crn.com/software/211800390
puuhikki
I have upgraded and almost everything work fine on my computer. I need only printer drivers but I haven't found any useful yet. Maybe I should write one on my own.
Tuvitor
I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 on my home server. I have to say I like it. Installed the server version to begin with, made it a headless (no X11) install, got it all the server stuff I needed, then installed a simple X11 install with fluxbox or wmaker (depending on my mood). I didn't install a bunch of crap I didn't need... so it seems fine for what I use it for. I use Windows XP on my desktop.
Marcuzzo
I have installed 8.10 last weekend and I have to say that I love it even more then hardy heron.
not sure why somebody would say something like:
Quote:

Yes, ubuntu 8.10 sucks but it can do some things better than Windows Vista:

I don't think it sucks and I'm sure that it an do a lot more then a some things better then Vista
I guess some people will allways have something to complain about
thnn
I am using Ubuntu 8.10 Server edition. I have been using it for about 1 month, without a hitch. It doesn't use much memory or CPU, even with Gnome running on top of the server. We did a full install however, because during a upgrade on our server from Fedora 8 to Fedora 10, things went wrong and we were left with all sorts of problems, like servers not starting, kernel panic errors on boot and other such things.

But we have had no problems with ubuntu 8.10 and it seems to be doing everything we need it to do
misterXY
Does kubuntu count? l was running 8.10 before my pc went bust
Tuvitor
Yeah, I'd say Kubuntu counts. I don't even know why they have a separate distro. IMO, it should just be Ubuntu with choices. But yeah, Kubuntu counts, if my Ubuntu install with fluxbox counts...which it does. Razz
chartcentral
I just installed Ubuntu 8.04, and currently running the Update Manager with 98 package files to go. Don't know for sure though if this will automatically upgrade my system to 8.10 after. I'll find out when it's done! Smile

EDIT: It turns out that by default Ubuntu 8.04 does not automatically upgrade to 8.10, since the former is an LTS (Long Term Support) release and the latter is not. So I modified my settings as mentioned here, and I am now on Ubuntu 8.10! Smile
babygeek
i did...on many machines...no prob...recently, upgraded to jaunty though...
Phinx
Personaly i'm on Karmic now, the upcoming 9.10 Ubuntu. Not much improvements so far, but what can i expect...It's still Alpha 3 Smile
Raymond
I've done it on many machines easily, from powerrhouses (6gb+ RAM) to simple machines that can barely start up with no problems.

I much prefer 8.10 to 8.04, though I'm not too sure why, it just seems to be better for me, easier to use and understand.

I have also tried the newer ones, but tehy don't install properly, as they get stuck on the last package download :S