FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Funny take on Obama's infomercial

jmi256
I just read this and thought it was funny, so I wanted to share. I'm not a fan of Obama, but I have to give it to him, he has been able to raise (and spend) a lot of money. I'm sure McCain wishes he had the money available to spend like Obama. Of course there have been articles about the possible illegality of some of the money Obama has raised, but realistically nothing will happen until after the election at this point.

Quote:

TV'S TOP AD STARS PAN BAM

By SALLY GOLDENBERG
Last updated: 11:11 am
October 30, 2008
Posted: 3:56 am
October 30, 2008

Two leading infomercial stars agree: Barack Obama's half-hour self-promotion last night was a flop.
"I don't see enough smiling. Doom and gloom totally," said Anthony Sullivan, one of the biggest names in infomercial history.
"I feel depressed right now," added Sullivan, an Englishman famous for his infomercials touting the Swivel Sweeper and Smart Chopper. The only thing saving Obama, Sullivan said, was when the candidate appeared live at the end speaking at a rally in Florida.
"I think it needed it. I was about to throw myself through a window because it was depressing," Sullivan said.
He and AJ Khubani, who has produced infomercials for 25 years, said Obama also fell short of offering solutions to the dire problems he laid out.
"I didn't see a payoff. Classic infomercial is you show the before and you show the after. I didn't see the music or the crashing waves of the Pacific," Sullivan said.
He joked the producer "needs a spanking" for lacking optimism.
Khubani said: "Every infomercial lays out common problems, whether it's a flabby belly or acne, and then it gives a solution. In this case the solution is Obama."
But Obama didn't pitch the product - himself - convincingly enough, he argued.
"We always spend much more time on the solution than the problem and he did the opposite," Khubani added.

Source = http://www.nypost.com/seven/10302008/news/politics/tvs_top_ad_stars_pan_bam_135962.htm
seagod
2008 is Obama!
atul2242
Just goes to prove that the world so called strongest democracy is nothing more than a market place where you buy votes
lagoon
Definately. America should have strict limits on the amounts political parties can spend in the run-up to an election like here in Britain. Each political party also has special spots on the BBC to run their advertisments, so we aren't bombarded with constant political indoctrination.
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
Just goes to prove that the world so called strongest democracy is nothing more than a market place where you buy votes

There is an element of truth in it of course, however how could it be any different in a country that has prospered as a result of capitalism? On the other hand, Obama's was an overwhelming majority vote in an overwhelming majority of states. A lot of it being based on hope for a better future. "Yes we can"! I like that, and hope that it will continue positively as of course if it does, the whole world will benefit from it.
handfleisch
It's hilarious that because Obama raised so much campaign money (significantly from tons of regular citizens giving small donations, like $20), rightwingers suddenly are raising the question of campaign finance reform.
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
rightwingers suddenly are raising the question of campaign finance reform.

McCain was for campaign fiance reform at least as early as 2001, which was why I was supporting him.
deanhills
One good part of this is that Obama must know how to manage money. He seems to have done a good job of accumulating his own. Successfully. And the campaign seems to have been run along similar hands-on lines. If his personal finances are sound and transparent, perhaps the US financial system stands a good chance under his management.
LimpFish
deanhills wrote:
One good part of this is that Obama must know how to manage money. He seems to have done a good job of accumulating his own. Successfully. And the campaign seems to have been run along similar hands-on lines. If his personal finances are sound and transparent, perhaps the US financial system stands a good chance under his management.

No offence, but I'd say the similarities between raising campaign money and running the entire US economy are non-existant. Although I'll agree that people might reason like you just did, but I'd say it is totally wrong.
ocalhoun
LimpFish wrote:
deanhills wrote:

No offence, but I'd say the similarities between raising campaign money and running the entire US economy are non-existant. Although I'll agree that people might reason like you just did, but I'd say it is totally wrong.

Quite so...
Campaign finance would be all about getting as much money as possible and spending every dime of it.

Government finance, however, should be about getting as little money as possible and spending it frugally. My guess is that the Obama administration will be especially bad about that though.