FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Left brain V Right brain

truespeed
Is this picture moving clockwise or anti clockwise?

What it all means
kirii
clockwise Very Happy
HamsterMan
Like most simplistic assumptions about the asymmetry of the human brain I bet this one is a myth as well.

Check this out:
http://bfc.positscience.com/brain/brain_mythology.php
Afaceinthematrix
I can see it moving either way. This was already posted up here in the science forums a long time ago.
j_f_k
Thats a cool graphic. To me it was moving anti-clockwise, then I looked at her foot in the centre and all of a sudden it became clockwise.
truespeed
j_f_k wrote:
Thats a cool graphic. To me it was moving anti-clockwise, then I looked at her foot in the centre and all of a sudden it became clockwise.

I am the same ,i can see it going both ways.
watersoul
Wow, what an amazing graphic trick!
I seem to be drawn more easily toward seeing it turn clock-wise, but if I shut my eyes and visualize anticlockwise then open them, it appears anticlockwise for a while and then switches again when I blink or focus.
Clever Smile
gugusm
Yeah, I've seen it once before. That's a really cool trick, you can check out if you know how to use both of your brain sides Wink
Vladalf
This is really clever. I first saw it clockwise but when i looked at her foot I realised the trick and now I see it both ways. Really nice!
-Vladalf
Psycho_X52
clockwise!                                                                                                                                    
 but while I was reading the indications on the linked site it changed to anticlockwise, and I couldn't make it change for my mind until I switched back to the tab containing this topic.

But I agree with HamsterMan.
Arty
It's moving both ways :O depending on where I look at it
friuser
I can see both directions. It does change from one direction to the next but not exactly at will for the last fifteen minutes. Wish there was more technical information instead of a simplified answer which leads me to believe this is not where the original picture is from. Though I'm oddly familiar with this picture. I think I seen this before somewhere else.
rockacola
First time I look at it, it was travelling anti-clockwise, but all the sudden it's clockwise now.. Surprised

I don't seems to be able to switch back to anti-clockwise now... Rolling Eyes
standready
Clockwise then Counter-clockwise. Boy, am I messed up! Maybe I need to look at when I am drunk? That might fix it.
Magicman
I saw it turning clockwise in this thread then when I went to the page explaining it, it was turning counter clockwise. I found I could change the way I think it turns by closing my eyes for a while then looking at it again.
Zombie
That's weird i didnt see it turn clockwise until i looked at it again... great optical illusion!
bonestorm74
Yeh I've seen this one before, very clever indeed. It makes me wonder how people come up with these illusions in the first place.
HamsterMan
If you're interested in more illusions, check out this site
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

My favourite illusion Very Happy

SpellcasterDX
At first I saw it going clockwise, but then after staring at it a while, and looking at her foot and thinking about it going anti-clockwise, then I suddenly saw it going anti-clockwise. Neat trick.
Horizon
Anti-clockwise for me.. When I looked at it carefully, I can see how this changes for some people. Normally, when somebody is spinning in such a way, when their foot would get smaller as it goes farther away and get larger when it gets closer. In the image above, it stays the same size (or appears to..?). And with the dancer being shaded in, it's much harder to tell which direction she's going in.
hlavco
Clockwise for me.

I saw this a long time ago and was eventually able to change it to counter-clockwise, but I can't seem to do it right now.
pashmina
let me guess.. the girl in the picture is not moving, but the camera view is.
so i would say, the camera is moving anti-clockwise. and the girl isn't
HamsterMan
pashmina wrote:
let me guess.. the girl in the picture is not moving, but the camera view is.
so i would say, the camera is moving anti-clockwise. and the girl isn't

There is no girl, just a 2 dimensional black morphing spot. The rotating girl is entirely in your brain.
saratdear
With practice, you can make it move in both ways.

The explanation I found in one site is that why we perceive it in either way is because it has only one colour - black. With that you get no sense of depth.

Here's how you can change it : Try to perceive the leg resting as the left leg and try to imagine the hands as moving clockwise, if you want it so. If you want it counter-clockwise, vice-versa.
jaden7727
its moving clockwise
Ghost Rider103
HamsterMan wrote:
If you're interested in more illusions, check out this site
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

My favourite illusion Very Happy

This one makes me so angry...

No matter how hard I try, those two squares ALWAYS look soo much different in color. I actually did not believe they were the same color, so I opend it up in Photoshop, and put the two squares right next to eachother, and they were exactly the same. I also grabbed the Eyedropper tool, which selects the color being used in the image. I clicked on mark A, and then B, and they were the same that way too.

Very weird.
loonix
My natural perception of this is a anti-clockwise rotation. However I find it easy to change its rotation. I visualise the extended leg either as moving forward or moving backward and the direction changes. Nice test pic saved thnx.