FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Multi Operating Systems

poppat
Does anyone know how I can setup a computer with more than one operating system?

I don't have partition magic.

Can I just partition the hard drive before I start and then install each operating system on each partition?

Please help

poppat
snowboardalliance
poppat wrote:
Does anyone know how I can setup a computer with more than one operating system?

I don't have partition magic.

Can I just partition the hard drive before I start and then install each operating system on each partition?

Please help

poppat

Yes you can. Get a partitioning program like gparted or some other linux bootable cd program to partition. Just look up dual-booting on google. For example http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm
ocalhoun
Basically, it should be easy to do if you want windows and linux, and get a version of linux that has a good installer.

I know from personal experience that SuSE linux will set up a dual-boot system automatically (including resizing partitions) if you install it on a computer that already has windows. Most other major linux distros should do the same.
Kelcey
It depends which two Operating Systems you want. Actually, maybe it doesn't. But if you want xp and some flavor of Linux, the tools should come on the Linux disc.
gosphinx
If you are installing WinXP, you can choose in the setup to leave the current system as it is. This will install two OS in your system and you can select at starup which OS you want to use.
ocalhoun
gosphinx wrote:
If you are installing WinXP, you can choose in the setup to leave the current system as it is. This will install two OS in your system and you can select at starup which OS you want to use.

Only if you are installing it on a windows computer!
Windows installer will not leave a linux installation intact unless you force it to, and it will under no circumstances configure a dual-boot system.

If you want dual boot, you really should install windows first, then linux (or whatever else).

You'll find that linux tries very hard to be compatible with windows, while windows seems to actually try sometimes to be incompatible with linux.
froginabox
poppat, tell us which operating systems you are interested in installing together. You can run multiple versions of Windows without too much hassle, but when you go between Windows and *nix you can run into problems if things are not configured perfectly.
cyberbuddy
yes u can setup dual operating system in a system only u should take care that each operating system is loaded in seperate drives and thats all u can enjoy the taste of multiple os
swizzy
Mac OS X (hackintosh) + Linux (openSuse, Ubuntu) + Windows XP + Windows Vista works almost seamlessly... The boot procedure is not automatic however, you will need to tweak around a bit of commands specific to your system.
shenyl
You can use GAG (a version for Win and also for Linux).

The only issue is that you should not use the first 63 MB of your harddisk.

GAG lots in the first 63 sectors, which does not always fits into the first track of the disk.

I discovered this the hard way, when I load it on a Notebook Harddisk - first track is only 16 sectors, and it load into my first partition, causing my first partition unbootable.

Other than that GAG is great, as you can configure up to 9 OS for booting, and once it is loaded, you can configure and re-configure all from the initial boot screen.

Search for it on google, and read about it.

I am using it on almost all my notebooks and servers.

Hope this help.