FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the problem of Ubuntu start

deltalong
I have install a XP on my pariton c and meanwhile a Ubuntu on partion d, everytime start the PC a menu will show to let me select the system . Several weeks later , my XP was destroyed and i recover it , then the start menu wasn't shown . What can i do?
Thanks !!!
moofang
By start menu I presume you mean Grub - the screen that lets you choose which operating system to boot into?

When you install Ubuntu into a system containing another OS, like windows XP, Ubuntu would intelligently install Grub and create entries so that you can choose whether you want to boot into Ubuntu or into the other resident operating system. Unfortunately the present Windows systems make no such consideration when installing themselves, so if you want to dual boot you should always install windows first, and linux next.

In your case it is likely that when you recovered your XP it wiped out Grub, so I think you have two choices : either manually reinstall Grub, or simply reinstall Ubuntu (this would detect your XP system and recreate Grub so that you can choose again).

Setting up Grub manually may be a little intimidating if you're not used to CLI, but there are alot of instructions and howto's online to help you with it. For example, this one.

Good luck Wink
Fire Boar
Restoring GRUB should be a snap if you've kept the Ubuntu install CD. Just follow instructions in how-tos like that one exactly as written and you'll be fine.
djclue917
deltalong wrote:
I have install a XP on my pariton c and meanwhile a Ubuntu on partion d, everytime start the PC a menu will show to let me select the system . Several weeks later , my XP was destroyed and i recover it , then the start menu wasn't shown . What can i do?
Thanks !!!

Boot up the Ubuntu live CD and reinstall GRUB:

Code:
grub-install /dev/sda

(Assuming that /dev/sda is your HDD)

However, that might not work since grub-install needs to copy some files to the /boot directory. A simple workaround is to mount your root (/) partition and then use:

Code:
grub-install /dev/sda --root-directory=/mountpoint/of/root

I hope that helps. Smile
Fire Boar
It's not quite that simple, but you're nearly there.

Code:
mkdir /mnt/disk
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/disk
grub-install /dev/sda --root-directory=/mnt/disk

That should work from what you've said, I'm pretty sure your Linux partition will be called /dev/sda2. Just to check, before you do the grub-install command open the file browser and look in /mnt/disk. If you see directories such as "boot", "home", "etc", "var", you've mounted the right disk. If not, type the following and re-run the mount command with a different partition (/dev/sda3 for example):

Code:
umount /mnt/disk

Run the umount command anyway once you've done grub-install.