FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Media's Political Hangover

jmi256
I've been noticing a few articles in the last week or so that analyze/comment upon the obvious media bias in this election. Iíve seen it on both sides, but in general Iíve noticed that Obama enjoys much more positive and defensive coverage while McCain has had to suffer more attacks, scrutiny and negativity. It seems to me that now that they have done their damage, some members of the media are feeling guilty for abandoning the principles of fairness, impartiality, etc. that they may have espoused to when they started their careers or even professed to hold now. As they look back at this election cycle, even they canít kid themselves that they have been anything close to unbiased. But even this "mea culpa" seems self-serving to me, though.

While I think technology has a lot to do with the apparent downturn in "traditional" media viewership, I think a big part of it is the general public's growing mistrust as biases in reporting become more and more open and transparent. The article below from ABC News comments a little on it, but there is only a small blurb at the end on some of the issues that seem to drive the media's love affair with Obama and attacks on McCain (hope for reinstatement of the "fairness doctrine" that will lead to more spending in traditional media outlets and an increase in power of news labor unions).

Media's Presidential Bias and Decline
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=6099188&page=1
el_duquee
What do you think the odds are that we'll see anything even remotely critical of Obama not that he basically bribed the networks with $2,000,000 in advertising via his infomercial?

jmi256 wrote:
I've been noticing a few articles in the last week or so that analyze/comment upon the obvious media bias in this election. Iíve seen it on both sides, but in general Iíve noticed that Obama enjoys much more positive and defensive coverage while McCain has had to suffer more attacks, scrutiny and negativity. It seems to me that now that they have done their damage, some members of the media are feeling guilty for abandoning the principles of fairness, impartiality, etc. that they may have espoused to when they started their careers or even professed to hold now. As they look back at this election cycle, even they canít kid themselves that they have been anything close to unbiased. But even this "mea culpa" seems self-serving to me, though.

While I think technology has a lot to do with the apparent downturn in "traditional" media viewership, I think a big part of it is the general public's growing mistrust as biases in reporting become more and more open and transparent. The article below from ABC News comments a little on it, but there is only a small blurb at the end on some of the issues that seem to drive the media's love affair with Obama and attacks on McCain (hope for reinstatement of the "fairness doctrine" that will lead to more spending in traditional media outlets and an increase in power of news labor unions).

Media's Presidential Bias and Decline
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=6099188&page=1