FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Mid-Term/Finals Study Techniques

jonchalk
I am seeking tips for your best mid-term/finals study techniques.

I have read about many techniques for preparing for mid-terms or finals. However, none of them address a situation where there is short time to do it. My instructor gave us the list of chapters that will be covered in the mid-term only a week ago. She explained that it is to prevent cheating by not allowing enough time for students to "find out" what the questions for the exam will be.

Though I fully agree with her explanation, I still think giving such a short time is a challenge. The technique that I normally use (writing the key items 4 times in a row) takes a long time and cannot be really used.

So I ask the community - what successful techniques do you use to prepare for a mid-term or finals when you only have one week to review the list of chapters given by your instructor.

Note: I work and am home only a few hours daily. So reading 8 hours a day is not an option.
Voodoocat
wow, you are in a bind! You could try outlining each chapter: for each chapter list each main section, then underneath list each sub section, then the important fact from each paragraph after that. Quite often the main point of each paragraph in in the first or last sentence.

Good luck.
kmkramer
I just started instructing a chemistry 101 course. I found i learned a lot more about the subject by creating the answers to problems and working backwards to make the initial question. This will not only prepare you for for the exam questions but give you a better understanding of the material.

Although this isnt the fastest way to go about studying, knowing a subject forward and backward will certainly give you a competitive edge.
fridaywarning
I know I'm a bit late- but I find the best way to find if you understand a subject is if you try to teach it to somebody else. preferably someone younger, because then you force yourself to be concise and simple. If you can accomplish that, then you'll understand the concepts very well. I hope you did well! Smile