FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Thank you" button

Would you like to use a "Thank you" button when you feel a post you just read is usful?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 25 ]
No
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 34

jonchalk
I suggest a "Thank you" button be added to this board.

I am part of another board where there is a button at the bottom of each individual posting. This allows the readers to "thank" the person for a good post. I have yet to see another board that uses this feature.

I would like to give the link to that board, but it is a forum that is very specialized and industry-specific. Designed for technical workers, designers and developers for PDAs.

It is a very small but tight community.

Whenever I review my posts and see that my post has been thanked by others in the forum, it give a very good sense of accomplishment.

This may be a valuable feature. Though I would not grant any points or Frih$ for "thank yous". That is something that should be earned by the posters when a reader finds their post useful.
Idea
LukeakaDanish
I really like this idea.

Let me be more precise: Thats a really awesome idea.

Also add a "f*** u noob" button...just kiddin Wink
SpellcasterDX
That's a pretty good idea. Very unique. I've never heard of it.

I support it completely.
truespeed
Its a common feature on Vbulletin boards,but i did a check last night and found there was a mod for it for phpbb version 2 (this one) ,having said that i don't see how a board like this would benefit from the feature.
ftv_flung
Would the person who got the Thanks gain more points? What do they gain from having a Thanks?

It's best to not have a "No Thanks" button... just causes trouble.

Good idea if implemented properly though! Very Happy
Arseniy
We've already got "No thanks" button. Do you see small one with red circle and white cross? Smile
I voted for the feature. Why not?
And it would be good if with voting for helpful post 1 frih$ from your cash went to the person that you voted for. Just a suggestion Wink
kirii
Sounds good..I had voted agree..
This 'Thank You' button is a kind of respect to the thread starter..
You should thank a lot to anyone that has solved any of your problems
TomS
>>respect to the thread starter..

Not only to the threadstarter. Also when you start a thread about a problem you have, an someone posts a good solution ^^

I voted for the "thanks-button", too.
TheOnionRack
I quite like this idea, there should be a way for a community to thank a poster for their contribution to the discussion, and maybe a tiny reward of some sort. A "Thanks" button would be nice way of doing that. This is sorta like the "Karma" feature of SMF, people can click a button on a post, and it adds a certain amount of karma to the user's profile.

Also, by extension, it would be a good way to rate and rank topics; and it would be a good way to revive older topics which people want to post in without deliberately bumping a really old topic, or reposting about the same topic and getting an AWIT. If there was a way to sort topics with ones with lots of "Thanks" in them, then topics at the top would be like "Community Selected Stickies/Featured Topics".

Sorry if I rambled for a bit there. Razz
ocalhoun
It would be good if it did not give any extra points. Just knowing that you're appreciated should be good enough.
pashmina
Yeah! I would love to see this feature, and in addition to the thanks you could also do something else like, when +1 thanks = 5Frih$ or 1 Point
Diablosblizz
Would be a good idea to put onto Frihost, although added points (maybe in small increments) may add a little benefit to the poster.

I voted yes to the suggestion.
sonam
I think this is good idea, but I am not for point revards. Maybe it will better (like on yahoo) just change collor of background or something else on this post. Then people will easy can see and find out the best comments in the board.

Sonam
zellfaze
If you ask me I love this idea. I dont think it should be for points or frih$ though (too easy for people to abuse it then).

I think it would be nice for it to send a thank you pm though. Or something of that nature. It would be a quick way to thank someone for their contribution without having to send them a pm yourself..
ocalhoun
zellfaze wrote:
If you ask me I love this idea. I dont think it should be for points or frih$ though (too easy for people to abuse it then).

Exactly. It also makes coding it simpler.
Gagan
Just the thanks button would work, point system would be abused as said above.
Hogwarts
SpellcasterDX wrote:

More like an alternatively-named Karma/Reputation function on a per-post basis.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html
Bondings wrote:
I'm not a fan of karma-like systems as they tend to create tensions amongst the members.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-2364.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-71329.html

Or the several other topics with the same topic.

A thank you button, in my opinion, is just a bad way to go about things. You know what would be even more brilliant? If you actually replied and said at the end of your reply "Thanks for that post, it really helped me =]" and maybe sending a donation of FRIH$ their way instead of half-arsing and clicking a button. You'd even get points! It's an infallable system! Shocked
xaogo
well, you can always donate frih$ to the poster you think is deserving of it..i think there's already functionality for that.
ftv_flung
Arseniy wrote:
We've already got "No thanks" button. Do you see small one with red circle and white cross? Smile
And it would be good if with voting for helpful post 1 frih$ from your cash went to the person that you voted for. Just a suggestion Wink

The "no thanks" would mean it's not of use to another user. As opposed to the report button which says "this is actually breaking the rules of the forum" etc. - so it's not exactly the same.

And it would be good to have a relationship of some sort between the Points and Frih$... having an exchange rate for getting points up if they're low. and there could be rules about how often you can do this or by how much.. e.g. only get back up to 1.00 points.
Fire Boar
I must say that I personally approve of this idea. It works really well where it's implemented, and it would certainly do well here where there are often people asking for help.
Fatality
Personally I don't really benefit from "Thank You" buttons. Its probably more for the original posters benefit. If I like what some one says, I'd probably post a comment myself. Just hitting a button is too easy and probably would get abused if everyone who reads the posts just clicks it because its easy.
Thoughtful idea though. But I think we should be directing the question at those posting not the people reading, to if posters would like to see if people find their post helpful.
Blaster
Hogwarts wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:

More like an alternatively-named Karma/Reputation function on a per-post basis.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html
Bondings wrote:
I'm not a fan of karma-like systems as they tend to create tensions amongst the members.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-2364.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-71329.html

Or the several other topics with the same topic.

A thank you button, in my opinion, is just a bad way to go about things. You know what would be even more brilliant? If you actually replied and said at the end of your reply "Thanks for that post, it really helped me =]" and maybe sending a donation of FRIH$ their way instead of half-arsing and clicking a button. You'd even get points! It's an infallable system! Shocked

beat me to it....

But tobias is right when he says this. There is no point in a feature like this. It has no benefit. Its just more strain on the server.
rockacola
Hogwarts wrote:

touche! Twisted Evil
Aredon
Yeah seems to me like if you enjoyed some one's post you'd just donate some Frih$ to them... That's kinda what they're there for right? I'm going to have to say it might be overkill to implement another method of thanks when the one we have now works just fine.
Donutey
I think reddit.com has one of the best comment systems, you have up or down votes for every post, and the best are at the beginning of the page. If this could be implemented in a forum it would be amazing. It would be difficult, but not impossible, as reddit's source code is open.
ocalhoun
Donutey wrote:
I think reddit.com has one of the best comment systems, you have up or down votes for every post, and the best are at the beginning of the page. If this could be implemented in a forum it would be amazing. It would be difficult, but not impossible, as reddit's source code is open.

But wouldn't that rearrange the posts, causing the flow of the discussion to be disrupted?
sana618
i would'nt mind thanking but having a thank you button!!!!
i think some people like to write their thanks..... say it in words instade of just clicking a button.
so it would be better if a new thank you posting forum was made...
Hogwarts
sana618 wrote:
so it would be better if a new thank you posting forum was made...

Wait.. What????? o_o
(Sorry, I couldn't resist copying your use of punctuation.)

Something like that'd be really bad. It's better to just reply to the thread Shocked
Aredon
ocalhoun wrote:
Donutey wrote:

But wouldn't that rearrange the posts, causing the flow of the discussion to be disrupted?
Indeed, that would basicaly be the effect.
goutha
I like the idea of thank you button.

Most of posts are just simple discussions and in general they are useless. Then a thank you button, will help promoting better quality posts.
Donutey
ocalhoun wrote:
Donutey wrote:

You would think it would, but it doesn't. All of the posts are arranged in such a way that each conversation can be read in a logical manner, it's hard to describe in text, so I would just suggest looking at a comment page as an example:

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/7xgsz/whatever_happened_to_free_speech_britain_was_once/
_AVG_
Let's take the idea further: Instead of a Thank You button and going along the lines of the reddit idea, how about a Post Rater where you could rate a post out of 10 and the average of all users' ratings would show near the post. (Of course, you will not be allowed to rate your own post!) Smile
Then, on user profiles, there could be something like an average rating which shows the average rating of all the user's posts.
That way, you would actually know who really posts quality posts. (people with an average rating of above 5 or something) Question
Possibly, this could be the basis of selecting users who should be hosted instead of the points system or could be an additional requirement to the points and the minimum posts.
That way, the quality of posting on the forums would certainly increase by a lot.

The reddit idea is also a good one.
mtorregiani
Any idea is cool, we should have a feature like that...
inphurno
i guess it could be like a cudos or karma system where even a thank you would be worth more points
redslazers
Arseniy wrote:

yes, i agree with the 1 fri$ to the person you say thank you to (if you can afford it) but i think there should be like an aura with it as well because currently people have banners for a particular number of posts but don't you think it would be good if the banner like lit up more and more the higher the auru or number of thank you he/she has received Very Happy

edit: spelling and grammar
sapcertified
Rating should be given to Each Post..