FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are we ruled by governments or financial institutions?

chasbeen
I have lived and worked in quite a few countries now and kind of think that governments do not rule their countries anymore but are a bit like the Royal family in England.

The politicians (likle the Royal Family) attend big meetings which are seemingly organised by them but who makes the real decisions?

As is well known the Queen's actual role in Leadership of England is merely ceremonial (EG:The opening of parliament), how much of English political decision making is done by the politicians?

In fact how much of ANY COUNTRIES political decision making is done by the politicians?
fx-trading-education
I think that even worst than financial intstitutions some very large and powerful companies have quite a big influence on the most important decisions taken.
For instance it is common knowledge that the big US oil companies had large influence on several US presidents including the current one (not for long anymore!).
First they finance the campaigns and then they get their reward (in this case the Iraq war for free oil). It sounds much more scary to make several thousand people die for rewarding a private company isn't it.
So yes it is true that the economical powers are very often more powerful than the political ones.
Voodoocat
Speaking of America, I wouldn't worry about oil company influence on American politics since congress just gave the banking industry 850 billion dollars. Who runs the country? Big business runs the country.
chasbeen
Also Voodoo the action you speak of really emphasised what I mentioned above. They did keep voting against bailing the banks out but you and I and millions of others saw how this was to no avail.
Can you see the people in charge?
Actually there are several people where I work pointed this out to me.
Bikerman
chasbeen wrote:
I have lived and worked in quite a few countries now and kind of think that governments do not rule their countries anymore but are a bit like the Royal family in England.

Well, the credit crunch seems to be hitting the Royals as well...

Smile
gandalfthegrey
Ummm... International banking, multinational corporations, the IMF (International Monetary Fund) and WTO (World Trade Organization) control the world.

"Give me the right to issue and control a nation’s money and I care not who governs the country.” Meyer Amschal Rothschild, International banker

Nuff said.
deanhills
Think in certain countries Financial Institutions and Government are the same in that the rulers own the Financial Institutions. There are quite a large number of those countries. In the United States, there is a semblance of a dividing line, but perhaps through the backdoor a number of legitimate and illegitimate kickbacks, one would probably lean more towards Financial Institutions for the United States though, and perhaps feel good for it, as it is a capitalist country.
muffinman187
America is founded by merchants and joint stock company. If you look at all of our founding fathers background, a great majority of them are business people. I believe that it's not only the Financial institutions but all powerful institution has an influence on the government system.
jwellsy
Politics and money are closely linked.
The 3 or 4 banks that that initially had the problems were a very small part of the US economy and an insignificant percentage of the world economy.
Yet, Obama Hussein intentionaly manipulated the liberal media to shake investor confidence and put the world economy in a tail spin to win an election.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
Yet, Obama Hussein intentionaly manipulated the liberal media to shake investor confidence and put the world economy in a tail spin to win an election.

Can you motivate this claim? It is difficult for me to imagine that someone, who has not been elected yet, could have so much power to completely upset the world economy to the extent that it has been. Just does not equate. But perhaps you have access to information that substantiates the claim, and will appreciate if you could share it.
Bikerman
jwellsy wrote:
The 3 or 4 banks that that initially had the problems were a very small part of the US economy and an insignificant percentage of the world economy.

You are either:
a) going to support that conspiracy theory with some evidence
or
b) going to be classified as an ignorant crank who hasn't got a clue what they are talking about

I suspect it will be the latter, but I'm open to persuasion.
liljp617
jwellsy wrote:

This is why you've lost any credibility you might have had on these forums.
atul2242
jwellsy wrote:

Do you understand politics or economy?
Does not look like that at all.
Maybe you need to educate yourself before commenting. Shocked Shocked Shocked
atul2242
Getting back to the topic, I'd say that money rules....
ParsaAkbari
Big businesses defenatly run the country.

Bank
Oil
and food.
ocalhoun
ParsaAkbari wrote:
Big businesses defenatly run the country.
Medication
Oil
Bank
Manufacturing (esp auto)
Large scale agriculture and food.

fixed
shenyl
If you ask the politicians - they will tell you, they run it, and lay claim of their achievements (but they will keep mum of their failures, as these comes mush later in time - like the current global economic crisis).

If you ask the big companies, they will tell you, they run it, and lay claim that they provides all the jobs and financial that the country depends on.

If you ask a dictator, he will tell you, he runs it, as he controls "everyone" under his dictatorship.

In reality, they have only limited power, and are often constrained.

Mr. Sorros (I hope I have spelled it correctly, was one considered to wield enormous power over currencies, and was blamed by Dr. Mahathir - former Malaysia PM - as one who created the financial problem in Malaysia in 1990s).

No one really is in control and running, but only for the moment, and their power will disappear over time.

But one thing is sure - some have really created big problems, rather than controlling the situations.

Just look at the global warming - we are to blame, rather than we are in control!!!!

Hope it brings some deeper reflection on our incompetency rather than our seemly limited power.

With regards.