FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Runing AVG all the time uses Resources?

Possum
Hi

AVG uses Resources. Do I need it running all the time. Can I close it and run it when I want to do a Virus scan.
Diablosblizz
Technically, you could although it's not recommended. While browsing, websites can be infected with trojans, viruses or malware. AVG helps detect these trojans hidden within websites. Trusted websites, such as Frihost or google don't contain these, but illegal file downloading sites probably will.

So, you could but I wouldn't. If your noticing lag, upgrade your RAM or buy a new computer if possible. RAM would be the best option if you are unable to buy a new computer. Or, you could switch to NOD32. NOD32 is VERY lightweight, while it's one of the best anti-virus programs out there, although you must pay.

What are your system specs?
Possum
Thx

I will leave AVG in.
prithvi
I use AVG too.........been using it for around a year now.

You are supposed to keep it running in the system tray............the moment you turn it off, it no longer detects trojans/viruses/malware that infect your system even while browsing web pages.

What you can do is turn off the 'scheduled scan' feature. Enable the scan manually whenever you want to check your system.
Diablosblizz
Hmm, that's weird that AVG disabled it's realtime protection. Technically then, you don't have to have it running if it doesn't have realtime scanning. Running weekly scans (or ever two weeks) would probably be good enough.
prithvi
Diablosblizz wrote:
Hmm, that's weird that AVG disabled it's realtime protection.....

But it still very much has the realtime protection............its called 'Resident Shield', which runs in the background. No anti-virus software could do without a realtime protection, I suppose.
Diablosblizz
Oh I misread your post, sorry I am currently at school and wasn't paying attention. Heh, sorry about that. YES, you need to have AVG running then. I don't use AVG, so I am not a pro at it.