FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


21 December 2012, End of the world?





MatthijsM90
Quote:
One of the time periods of the Long Count of the Maya is the baktun, which lasts 144,000 days. In some texts of the Maya a new period of the Long Count is said to begin after 13 baktuns (exactly 1,872,000 days). Such a new period in the Long Count of the Maya will probably begin on 21 December 2012, when the Long Count returns to 0.0.0.0.0 (see the Historical Calendar Page), and some people expect to see special things in the sky or on Earth then that would not otherwise be expected.

The interest for 21 December 2012 seems to have been spurred by publications by John Major Jenkins, who (if I understand correctly) is of the opinion that the Maya designed their Long Count in order that the coming special date 0.0.0.0.0 corresponds to a southern solstice (when the winter begins in the northern hemisphere) when the Sun stands in the Milky Way in the sky. Mr. Jenkins reached this opinion based on extensive research of Maya texts and other traces.

As far as I know, no text by the Maya has been found in which they explain (unambiguously) how they chose the day on which their Long Count should start (or on which the special date of 0.0.0.0.0 should return), so we cannot be sure why the Maya designed their calendar in that way. We can form opinions about this, based on other knowledge we have of the Maya culture and of other calendars, and depending on how much weight we assign to each fact and each opinion. Different people can form different opinions about this.


I see everyday something about 2012... what do you think is this really the end of the world?
Horizon
I personally think of these things as nothing more than crackpot theories sent out to confuse the human race. When December 21st, 2012 rolls along, people will simply be scared out of their minds and end up screwing up daily human life for a few days. Then, when nothing happens, people calm down and wait in fear for another crackpot theory to rise up and not happen.

We can't tell the future. It's a basic fact. There are lucky guesses, but I highly doubt any guess is going to be lucky enough that it ends up destroying the Earth.
joostvane
Nonsense. Just another thing to scare people of the mighty god and let them behave. Alot of people already announced the end of the world. These small groups of people that have a certain believe? (I don't know the English word for it)

This is religious stuff, I more believe that we get hit by a meteor or something one day.
Cddhesh
Ha Ha, good joke.Well, world will not get over so soon.Ideally to tell you, world is so vast that for some more years balance will be maintained by nature as much as it can, I don't think it will be so early that nature will loose its stamina.
Day is not so close, i mean 2012.By 2050 it is expected that worlds 80% area will be covered by water.
and then the real game will start.Worst thing that can happen before that is lets say Nuclear bombing.
So to be on safest part, try to do something echo-friendly. Enjoy your life.
cixel
The world will not end just because it's a "theory." Nothing is ever proven until it happens. I will look out for that date, though. :)
Kyohtee
There are only 3 minor possible ways the world could end in 2012. 1.Polar Shifting- This is where the two pole we call north and south swap places.During a certain time period, the Earth's magnetic field will drop near, or below 0. This will allow the sun to burn the Earth down, desrtoy all living things, and vaporate all the water onn the Earth. But the bright side is, this roughly takes 5,000 years to get near the process in which that will happen. Very Happy 2.Armaggedon- The final showdown between good and evil.. or Jesus And Satin.. not much to talk about here because this is the most probable of all 3.Next is the last and thats The atom Crusher. It's basicly a long tunnel some Swedish scientest is building to "prove" the Big Bang theory.This will cruch 100's of 1,000 of atoms together,showing how the universe might have been made.This could also create Mini Blackholes that will last for a fraction of a second but could destroy parts of the Eart. Some say some parts of the eart will blast off into a distant galaxy while some say it will be destroyed completeley or not hurt at all.I don't beleive in the 2012 madness myself but as for the mayan calender and natural disasters....December 21, 2012 is simpley the start or the end of another Mayan calender created by MAN.So if it is created by humans how could a date they provide be the end of the world? Cool And natural disasters- An Astroid will hit.. Yellowstones volcano will erupt, etc. are just hoaxed to get you scared or lying. Who can tell when something will erupt or come into Earth's atmoshphere? don't be worried... this is all the same stuff.... reminding me about 1990's end of the world. Check that out as it is surprisingly simular. Brick wall
liljp617
^^Why do you keep spewing that in every one of these threads? There are literally dozens more ways the world could end, not that it matters.


Can we stop with these threads.
slashnburn99
Don`t mind if its January

Would want to have christmas first!
imera
Nobody really knows when the end of the world is, there is and have been a lot of guesses.

What we can be sure of is that if the world is still alive then it's the humans that will destroy it, even all the things we try to do for the environment won't help, there are to many that doesn't care to spend five seconds recirculating or buying less and so on. Small things that might help a little.

Wasn't it in 1999 that they said all technology would stop working? I was watching TV as the date changed and didn't notice anything. most likely it won't go under, not without something happening, like atomic bombs suddenly going off everywhere or a huge meteor that we didn't see hits the earth or even a natural disaster can come, but it will most likely not destroy the whole world.

So my conclusion, we will see December 22 2012.

And I guess there are many posts about the end of the world, but I have never heard this one before.
BigGeek
Hey, you forgot Nibiru, or Planet X as some know it! According to the Sumarian tablets it is a brown dwarf that has an eliptical orbit with our sun and Sirus B, and comes through the solar system every 12k years and sometimes reeks havoc and causes pole reversals and massive devistation, I read sometimes because it passes through the asteroid belt and how much turmoil it causes depends on earths position in it's orbit in relation to Nibiru's. I have also read that if something of that nature were to happen and cause pole reversals, it would change our orientation to the galaxy and thus the signs of the Zodiac would be different and it would create a situation in which the residents of earth after that sort of an event would have to start a new calander as the old one would no longer apply.

I've also read that it is the Aliens coming back and that they are gonna land and start eating us.....BWAHHAHAHA!!! I still crack up evertime I say or write that one.

My only attitude is "I'll believe it when I see it" you just can't get into a fear zone and live your life wondering about the end of the world. At some point all of us die, you know, no one here get's out alive....well at least not in a physical body. So death is a part of life and living, and is the normal end to life. If it happens to many on a single date like 2012, or it happens tomorrow walking across the street for me, I just can't worry about it.

Live your life, be happy and enjoy it and love your family and friends. The rest will take care of itself!!

Look at the bright side though, 2012 gives alls something to talk about EH?
Horizon
Pole reversals don't sound that real.. Wouldn't the moon or something have the same affect? We'd need more information on that subject to truly understand how and why it would happen.

Quote:
According to the Sumarian tablets it is a brown dwarf that has an eliptical orbit with our sun


But it was believed that everything revolved around the Earth during those times..
gandalfthegrey
Geomagnetic reversal/Polar Shift is a real possibility! NOVA had a special on it a couple years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal
c'tair
I believe that if something was about to wipe us out, many people would be interested. And if lab-jacks like the ones in LHC aren't bothered by anything and continuing on their billion-upon-billion science-fair project then there can't possibly be anything wrong with the world.
Horizon
Please realize that it's just a simple guess with hardly any logic added into the prediction. There's no real way to know if the world is going to end. If you let this lead your life then you're hypothetically dead.
keane
I doubt this will happen. You see, we've had a lot of superstitions and theories saying that the world will end on this and that date. We've past those dates, and see? We're still alive!
BigGeek
Horizon wrote:
Pole reversals don't sound that real.. Wouldn't the moon or something have the same affect? We'd need more information on that subject to truly understand how and why it would happen.

Quote:
According to the Sumarian tablets it is a brown dwarf that has an eliptical orbit with our sun


But it was believed that everything revolved around the Earth during those times..


No actually that was the dark ages when they believed that sort of nonsense. Which was well past the time of the Sumarians.

Go to the book store and purchase Zacharia Sitchins books, "The 12th Planet", "Stairway to Heaven", and quite a few others. http://www.sitchin.com/

OK here is the story, in 1859 they discovered in Iraq, near Baghdad, an ancient sumerian library with over 25,000 clay tablets intact. over the last 150 years numerous scholars have worked to decifer these tablets.

According to Sitchin's books the tablets contianed information about Nibiru, the Solar System, the galaxy etc. he points out in the 12th Planet that the tablets had information about a wobble in the earth's access that took 25,000 years to complete. It was 1992 or 3, not sure when NASA published that it also had discovered this wobble and like the tablets explained that it was caused by the gravitational pull of the Milkyway Galaxy on the earth, and the reason it took 25,000 years to complete one rotation is that is how long it takes our solar system to rotate around the center of the galaxy.

He also talks about how it contains information about space ships, "the gods", communication devices, a DNA map. No kidding on this stuff. Sitchin also points out, that the ancients had a much greater understanding of the the world than we did, and that the last 2000 years we have been rediscovering old knowledge!

Don't believe me, go get the books and read them yourself!
Bikerman
Don't buy the books.
Zech Sitchin is in the same category as Erik Von Daniken - a nut who wants your money. I wasted good money on "The 12th Planet" (well, actually my wife did - she bought it for my birthday).

His 'Nibiru' theory simply doesn't hold water. He basically proposes a planet (Nibiru) which orbits the sun in a highly elliptical orbit and crosses the inner solar system every 3600 years. He posits that life actually evolved on this planet (ridiculous since it would spend most of the time way beyond Pluto, and it is pretty damn cold out there). Such an orbit is also physically impossible - any orbit of that eccentricity would quickly decay (basic perturbation theory).

Finally, his translation of the Sumerian texts is wrong in a lot of places. Sitchen claims that his translations show the Sumerians knew of 12 planets. This is poppycock - there are hundreds of translated texts from that era, and they show quite clearly that the Sumerians only knew of 5 planets.
BigGeek
Hey Bikerman,

I read the 12th planet carefully as I was interested in how often Nibiru was supposed to come through the solar system, I never actually got a number, well not from Sitchin anyway, I've read else where that the tablets were said to depict it coming through every 12K years.

Also, there are pictures in the tablets that depict 12 planets, others depict 5. So I guess it depends on which interpretation you read that gives you an idea about what they knew. But I'll go with the pictures that I've seen of the planets in the tablets, I don't have to be able to read cuniform to understand a picture, and numerous pictures depict 12, one of which is the moon of course!

Sitchin is not the only author to propose that life evolved on Nibiru, there are others, how that is possible is beyond me as well, especially given it's orbit and lack of heat. I've read that it is hypothesized that it is a brown dwarf and has it's own heat source, which brings up the next question, wouldn't it be too hot for any life to form?

The jury is out on the perturbation theory as well, look at comets and their orbit of our sun. However they do change and each time they pass, so how that theory applies to comets I'm not real sure?

Even if you don't buy Sithin's books, or read any of them, or believe any of them, I still stand by my reply!

The Sumarians that predated the dark ages believed that there were other planets in the solar system, and that they orbited the sun. Which was pretty advanced knowledge for their time, and how they were able to determine this is another mystery, did they have telescopes? How did they arrive at either the 5 or 12 planet model? No matter how they arrived at it, they did not belive the world was flat or that it was the center of the universe.
Bikerman
BigGeek wrote:
Hey Bikerman,

I read the 12th planet carefully as I was interested in how often Nibiru was supposed to come through the solar system, I never actually got a number, well not from Sitchin anyway, I've read else where that the tablets were said to depict it coming through every 12K years.
Nope, it is definitely 3,600 yrs.
Quote:
Also, there are pictures in the tablets that depict 12 planets, others depict 5. So I guess it depends on which interpretation you read that gives you an idea about what they knew. But I'll go with the pictures that I've seen of the planets in the tablets, I don't have to be able to read cuniform to understand a picture, and numerous pictures depict 12, one of which is the moon of course!
Nope. The tablet in question - VA 243 - contains 12 dots. Most Sumerian scholars say that this indicates 12 stars, not planets, not the moon, and not our sun. There are literally hundreds of other Sumerian tablets (called Seals) which show the sun clearly and show 5 planets.
Quote:
Sitchin is not the only author to propose that life evolved on Nibiru, there are others, how that is possible is beyond me as well, especially given it's orbit and lack of heat. I've read that it is hypothesized that it is a brown dwarf and has it's own heat source, which brings up the next question, wouldn't it be too hot for any life to form?
Yes there are many and they are all full of it. There is even an official religion - Nuwaubian.
It is garbage. Sitchin's hypothesis is that an original planet - Tiamat - collided with Nibiru to form the current Nibiru and the current Earth. It is a rip-off of the collision hypothesis that has the moon being formed from a collision. He gets the timescales all wrong (the collision would have been about 4.2-4.5 billion years ago).
We spent some time debunking this guff on the science forums - we even ran orbital calculations for Nibiru based on the 3,600 year period. Sometimes it literally flew off into space and others it was captured by the Sun/Jovian gravity system and assumed a much shorter-period orbit. In no case could we achieve a stable orbit. This has since been repeated several times - it is guff. He despererately attempted to 'patch' his theory when it was pointed out that for 95-99% of the time the surface temperature on Nibiru would be around -270 celcius. The 'brown dwarf theory' was his attempt to breathe some life back into his nonsense. It doesn't work and can't work
Quote:
The Sumarians that predated the dark ages believed that there were other planets in the solar system, and that they orbited the sun. Which was pretty advanced knowledge for their time, and how they were able to determine this is another mystery, did they have telescopes? How did they arrive at either the 5 or 12 planet model? No matter how they arrived at it, they did not belive the world was flat or that it was the center of the universe.
The Sumerians were certainly quite smart for the time. They weren't, however, astronauts from the planet Nibiru...
BigGeek
Bikerman wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
Hey Bikerman,

I read the 12th planet carefully as I was interested in how often Nibiru was supposed to come through the solar system, I never actually got a number, well not from Sitchin anyway, I've read else where that the tablets were said to depict it coming through every 12K years.

Nope, it is definitely 3,600 yrs.


OK if that's the case then if 2012 is the next date for it to come through, then I would think that 3,600 years ago would recent enough that we would have read all sorts of accounts of it's passing. So I'm gonna have to rule out the Nibiru theory. Also where did you find that number, I've read all sorts of articles and books on this, looking for that number and never came up with it, good find I must say!

Quote:
Nope. The tablet in question - VA 243 - contains 12 dots. Most Sumerian scholars say that this indicates 12 stars, not planets, not the moon, and not our sun. There are literally hundreds of other Sumerian tablets (called Seals) which show the sun clearly and show 5 planets.


So Sitchin is pulling the 12 dot tablet and his interpretation out of his butt eh? Humm, got me didn't he? Did you know they removed the definition of gullible from the dictionary and replaced it with my picture?

Quote:
Sitchin is not the only author to propose that life evolved on Nibiru, there are others, how that is possible is beyond me as well, especially given it's orbit and lack of heat. I've read that it is hypothesized that it is a brown dwarf and has it's own heat source, which brings up the next question, wouldn't it be too hot for any life to form?


Quote:
Yes there are many and they are all full of it. There is even an official religion - Nuwaubian.
Your serious about this? OMG a religion, WTF? Sometimes people baffle me Laughing


Quote:
It is garbage. Sitchin's hypothesis is that an original planet - Tiamat - collided with Nibiru to form the current Nibiru and the current Earth. It is a rip-off of the collision hypothesis that has the moon being formed from a collision. He gets the timescales all wrong (the collision would have been about 4.2-4.5 billion years ago).
We spent some time debunking this guff on the science forums - we even ran orbital calculations for Nibiru based on the 3,600 year period. Sometimes it literally flew off into space and others it was captured by the Sun/Jovian gravity system and assumed a much shorter-period orbit. In no case could we achieve a stable orbit. This has since been repeated several times - it is guff. He despererately attempted to 'patch' his theory when it was pointed out that for 95-99% of the time the surface temperature on Nibiru would be around -270 celcius. The 'brown dwarf theory' was his attempt to breathe some life back into his nonsense. It doesn't work and can't work


You know I found Sitchin's work to be absent of dates and time frames, which really added a lot of suspiscion to my view of his books.

Quote:
The Sumarians that predated the dark ages believed that there were other planets in the solar system, and that they orbited the sun. Which was pretty advanced knowledge for their time, and how they were able to determine this is another mystery, did they have telescopes? How did they arrive at either the 5 or 12 planet model? No matter how they arrived at it, they did not belive the world was flat or that it was the center of the universe.


Quote:
The Sumerians were certainly quite smart for the time. They weren't, however, astronauts from the planet Nibiru...


Of course they weren't, it was "The Gods" that were the astronauts, from Nibiru the brown dwarf on which life evolved, RIGHT? Laughing
Bikerman
BigGeek wrote:
OK if that's the case then if 2012 is the next date for it to come through, then I would think that 3,600 years ago would recent enough that we would have read all sorts of accounts of it's passing. So I'm gonna have to rule out the Nibiru theory. Also where did you find that number, I've read all sorts of articles and books on this, looking for that number and never came up with it, good find I must say!

Well, Sitchin came up on one of the science forums I contribute to a while ago. We spent some time looking at his ideas and debunking them. A couple of the members got everything he had published from the local library (total of 12 books)* and we dissected them - OK we science types are pretty anal, I admit it Smile
One of the members involved also wrote (or contributed towards) the wiki entry on Sitchin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitchin
Personally I admire his restraint in writing this - our conclusions in the forums were that Sitchin is a real piece of work and should be strung up as the lying, conniving, deceiving, charlatan he is.

*It was whilst we were discussing Sitchen on the forums that I made a note of his bibliography. My wife saw this note by my computer, mistook it for my normal Christmas present book 'wish-list', and bought me the 12th Planet. It took a great deal of effort to hide my disgust and disappointment on Christmas morning.
BigGeek
Bikerman wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
OK if that's the case then if 2012 is the next date for it to come through, then I would think that 3,600 years ago would recent enough that we would have read all sorts of accounts of it's passing. So I'm gonna have to rule out the Nibiru theory. Also where did you find that number, I've read all sorts of articles and books on this, looking for that number and never came up with it, good find I must say!

Well, Sitchin came up on one of the science forums I contribute to a while ago. We spent some time looking at his ideas and debunking them. A couple of the members got everything he had published from the local library (total of 12 books)* and we dissected them - OK we science types are pretty anal, I admit it Smile
One of the members involved also wrote (or contributed towards) the wiki entry on Sitchin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitchin
Personally I admire his restraint in writing this - our conclusions in the forums were that Sitchin is a real piece of work and should be strung up as the lying, conniving, deceiving, charlatan he is.

*It was whilst we were discussing Sitchen on the forums that I made a note of his bibliography. My wife saw this note by my computer, mistook it for my normal Christmas present book 'wish-list', and bought me the 12th Planet. It took a great deal of effort to hide my disgust and disappointment on Christmas morning.


Bikerman,

Good link I must admit, some real good information in there, I agree he demonstrated a lot of restraint in writing it. But it comes off so much more powerful in the way he wrote it, than if he had been less restrained.

Hey, at least your wife was trying to surprise you. Can't blame a girl for trying. Hopefully this past christmas was a little better on the gift end of things Laughing

I have to ask, how the hell does some one like Sitchin write 12, count them 12 novels on such BS? Damn I just want to write one good spy novel Shocked

Yes I'm a fan of fiction, and believe me if Dan Brown can write the "The DaVinci Code", and get on the NY times best sellers list than I should be able to do the same.......right? Cool All kidding aside, I wasn't that impressed with the book, and believe me there are much batter fiction writers out there, if you're into that sort of thing!
Bikerman
Oh yes, my wife bought exactly what I wanted for this Christmas - various books by Dawkins, Smolin, Dennett and Terry Pratchett. The fact that I wrote a list and 'hid it' by my computer was, of course, coincidental Smile
Ivanluisky
That's bullshit. Nothing will happens. Laughing
Parkour_Jarrod
Ivanluisky wrote:
That's bullshit. Nothing will happens. Laughing


I agree, but we're all going to look like morons if it happens eh?
deanhills
I sometimes wonder how accurate dates are? Would 21 December 2012 really be 21 December 2012 anyway? Is time really accurate to its minute second anywhere in the world? Given also that we have timezones to consider as well?
Solon_Poledourus
Quote:
But it was believed that everything revolved around the Earth during those times..

Not true. Plenty of ancient civilizations knew the Earth was round and that it moved, not the Sun. These ideas were largely forgotten only during the Dark Ages when religious nutjobs dumbed down the world population through genocide and torture.

As far as the 2012 date goes, it's an interesting thing. It is the end of the Maya calendar, which is arguably the most accurate calendar ever created. The date also happens to coincide with a chain of astronomical events that only occur every 26,000-ish years. So it is a unique and strange date on which their calendar ends. In conjunction with their prophecies, it makes for good story telling. But will the Earth be destroyed exactly on that date? Not very likely.

I view this date as a wonderful occasion for astronomers to get a good glimpse far into the depths of our galaxy, due to the angle from which we will be able to view it. So I am actually excited about that date, if only we had better telescopes and a better space program for deep space travel.
SBCBC33
Nobody knows anything on when the world will actually end.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I view this date as a wonderful occasion for astronomers to get a good glimpse far into the depths of our galaxy, due to the angle from which we will be able to view it. So I am actually excited about that date, if only we had better telescopes and a better space program for deep space travel.
Something to look forward to, positive way of putting it for a change Smile Should be fun. Would be interesting if we could get a comet at that time with a nice tail. Or maybe a new planet, or visitors from Mars. A couple of asteroids ... or just a nice winter solstice day for the Northern Hemisphere.
Jinx
[color="red"]Coronal Mass Ejections could destroy civilization as we know it in 2012!!!!!![/color]

http://www.examiner.com/x-2912-Seattle-Exopolitics-Examiner~y2009m4d1-2012-may-bring-the-perfect-storm--solar-flares-systems-collapse

Ok, sorry for the melodrama, I just get a morbid kick out of all the end of the world stuff.
This is something we should worry about though - NAS is usually pretty cautious about their predictions.
Bikerman
NASA hasn't made any predictions. This is a general story about the possible impacts of a CME, coupled to the assumption that it might happen in 2012, when solar activity is high. It isn't really worth reading, never mind worrying about.
Jinx
Not NASA, the NAS - the US National Academy of Science

Here's another article about it: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20127001.300-space-storm-alert-90-seconds-from-catastrophe.html?full=true
Bikerman
Jinx wrote:
Not NASA, the NAS - the US National Academy of Science
Err...OK, I slightly misread it - the study was commissioned by NASA but issued by the NAS...
amfriendsforever153
I think its all are rubbish.because nobody knows that what will happen with him or even next second of his life.so how can v tell that the world will finished on 21dec 2012.actually we cant tell proper date because we dnt know about it.
Jintastic
i dont believe that it will end so soon. its just like the y2k bug. Time is manmade, and the earth will end when it wants to despite time. haha
chasbeen
Sorry Matt,

Quote:
I see everyday something about 2012... what do you think is this really the end of the world


I got too deep into this and decided to back away. I'm now a skeptic , in theory we just miss Christmas but a little warning.

If everyones sitting around the Christmas tree in 2012 and you come up with some lame excuse like "I thought it was going to be the end of the world and when I found out it was wrong all the shops were shut"

Then several of the following scenario's will be the result (in order of severity)
(1)You will be commited shortly after the festivities/the start of the new year (2013)
(2)You will find that it's not the end of the world for everyone, only you.
(3)Your love life will take a dive, like it just fell off a high cliff.
(4)You will recieve smaller portions at dinner and be referred to as Mr Scrooge for the duration of the holidays and/or new years day (2013)
supernova1987a
haha everyone's talking about it! but why? i know something is happening but only because people are crazy about it, not because that mayans prophesized anything abt it.

well, read these: NO DOOMSDAY IN 2012
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/

NO GEOMAGNETIC REVERSAL IN 2012
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/10/03/2012-no-geomagnetic-reversal/

this is real science.. Wink
jabce85
this will just end up being like every other end of the world doomsday prediction.
joe_042293
There will always be people announcing ridiculous expiration dates for the Earth, and there will always be gullible people willing to believe them.
supernova1987a
well, there really is an end, but its far far away as predicted by scientists, when sun's fuel burns out or when the sun explodes, and the big crunch of the universe.
Or the end could also be just around the corner, like 100 years due to global warming, famines etc or just some kind of machine wars. 2012 seems too close and all the rumor about prophecies are hoax. but there is every possibility some disastrous event take place any date, not just 2012! like the tsunami on 2004? why did all they miss to predict that? it was such a big disaster!!
i hate liars
chasbeen
MatthijsM90 must be getting depressed. There's only 3 and a half years left and that's not a lot a time.

I think if there was only a little bit of time like this I would sell everything and just spend the next 3 and a half years on holidays.

Funny though, I have heard a lot about people predicting this but none taking the holidays Wink
Solon_Poledourus
Anyone who claims to know what the future holds is selling something. Never trust a salesman.
medesignz
is that GMT or should I cancel my doctors appointment? Laughing
chasbeen
medesignz
I'm still getting my teeth fixed tomorrow Crying or Very sad
traxion
where is the times until doom Very Happy

haha, i dont beleve it and if it's true..
we are all wasted so i'm not really care about it
el-bac
i don't beleive this things no human been is able to predict the end of time only the one who created this universe is able to finish it.
i'm surprised that we are living in the 21st century and we still see these things and remember that this isn't the first time that they predict the end of the world and the last time was 2000 .
i've seen the triler of a movie that will get out on october with the name of "2012" and i think it's good just for action no more no less.
and i hope taht everybody get logic and scientific to know that these are just lies to .... i don't relly know why but i think it's political
pscompanies
The Long Count Calendar of the Ancient Mayans ends on Dec 21 2012. There isn't much information regarding what the Mayans thought would occur in 2012, but the consensus of opinion is that there will be great change. To some people this means a positive, spiritual change. Others consider that a catastrophic event may have been predicted.

Nobody knows the truth and it's useless to guess. Let's just wait and see.
paskifire
there's a movie about 2012 right? haha
pscompanies
paskifire wrote:
there's a movie about 2012 right? haha


Yep. Here's the official website.

http://whowillsurvive2012.com/
Crazy_Canuck
I saw the trailer for "2012", it looks like alot of action in one film. I might see it, but I don't believe in someone predicting the end of the world.
sum12nv
i reckon that this is true as its the only possible explanation for these signs. you know, how bees are slowly dissapearing(einstiens theory), the Inca's calender(ends in 2012 december) and stu
JySea
Horizon wrote:
Please realize that it's just a simple guess with hardly any logic added into the prediction. There's no real way to know if the world is going to end. If you let this lead your life then you're hypothetically dead.
prediction is an human condition, not to be confused with inherant human anticipation of future events, in accordance with, time, place and environmental pressures. Whereby assumptions are made , and in the fullness of time are repudiated or confirmed. poles will switch (confirmed fact),end of last iceage(confirmed fact),Mayan calender ending 2012( confirmed),missing star sign (confirmed fact),Nostrodamus prediction end of life as we know it (JIM),(HUMAN HYPOTHSIS) from a man 500yrs ago.. coincidence?, human condition?,or are we all doomed ?...lol................. LIVE LONG , AND PROSPER ..... JySea.
supernova1987a
What I see is all lies covering the internet and even TV!! and no any clue to why the world would end in 2012, or why god would choose to end it in 2012.
i dont even believe those people who think its only a new beginning and not really an end. maybe partly right that the mayan calendar might need to be restarted, just like after december, again comes january, but no other spirtual beginning is going to happen.
however i know, human civilization has spiritually developed a lot since the last 100 years! Wink
supernova1987a
Why the world wouldn't end
Directly from NASA, internet hoax explained.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

The ones who are earning money through this hoax are the ones who have setup 2012 websites. As the internet traffic grows, they will get more hits and earn through advertisements/affiliate links placed on their websites. I read another thread that was closed and redirected to this which asked if it was a publicity stunt for movie 2012. No, it is not. Too many people today believe in 2012 theory that they finally made the movie. Thats it. Everyone is a victim of the hoax now. Just see NASA's official say by going to the link above and find out the truth. More links explaining the truth are placed in the page. Do read them all. Cool
quex
supernova1987a wrote:
Why the world wouldn't end
Directly from NASA, internet hoax explained.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

The ones who are earning money through this hoax are the ones who have setup 2012 websites. As the internet traffic grows, they will get more hits and earn through advertisements/affiliate links placed on their websites. I read another thread that was closed and redirected to this which asked if it was a publicity stunt for movie 2012. No, it is not. Too many people today believe in 2012 theory that they finally made the movie. Thats it. Everyone is a victim of the hoax now. Just see NASA's official say by going to the link above and find out the truth. More links explaining the truth are placed in the page. Do read them all. 8)


2012, Scientology, teeth-whitening... so many scams. Why did you even tease the 2012 idea in the UFO thread if you know the truth? ;)
Auctus
Anyone here who believes in a 2012 apocalypse, please, sell me your homes & assets at a very low rate, that way you can ensure a quick sale and enjoy your money before it's too late.

It's better a little money now than no money later!

I'll also sell you 2012 insurance. It's cheap. And guaranteed by no one. Smile
ayour
no one is able to predict the end of the world, and personaly i don't beleive in this things there was a similar case i think in the end of 90' because some narrow minded thought that the time can't go on more than 2000 years and they discovered that they were wrong.
quex
Auctus wrote:
Anyone here who believes in a 2012 apocalypse, please, sell me your homes & assets at a very low rate, that way you can ensure a quick sale and enjoy your money before it's too late.

It's better a little money now than no money later!

I'll also sell you 2012 insurance. It's cheap. And guaranteed by no one. :)


I love the sites that are taking orders for the "rapture"... people thinking they will be snatched up to heaven, leaving their pets and sinful friends behind, so why not pay one of those sinners who'll be left to feed your dogs and email the other sinners in your life with some snarky goodbyes? Only $9.95 per message, no character limit!
cybersa
My friend told It was already told on Bible.
I didn't read Bible.
So I can't confirm this.
What you think about this?
Anybody read Bible?
quex
cybersa wrote:
My friend told It was already told on Bible.
I didn't read Bible.
So I can't confirm this.
What you think about this?
Anybody read Bible?


Depends what language you read it in. Read it in Hebrew and use cross codes, you'll get something completely different from reading it in Latin, Italian, English, etc. Read the Chinese translation and the world was actually supposed to end in the mid 1800s. :/
Bikerman
SCIENCE forum guys, not a bible group. Try to keep it scientific - or at least vaguely to do with science...
quex
Bikerman wrote:
SCIENCE forum guys, not a bible group. Try to keep it scientific - or at least vaguely to do with science...


Every time you say something, I feel the urge to move to the UK. That kind of logic wouldn't last a minute in the southern half of the USA. ;)
Bikerman
It would if I had any say in the matter. They can hurl abuse, threaten and attack, but they won't beat me in a fair debate, and I won't be scare away from having one Smile
silverdown
I think since may 21st nothing happened no one knows when the world will end if it is every going to, however i do have a theory that the world wont combust as in the movie "Knowing" they only the world will have a global event killing off 80-95% of humans and other creators and those left will start the world as it once was. Now i could be wrong but that just my opinion so no one better going starting a world wide mass scare over my opinion!... Laughing
shivaghimire
It might come destruction in some parts of the earth but whole earth wouldn't destroyed. Tsunami of Japan this year, who has expected to destroy so much. Similarly, destruction will come.
gphoenix
i dont really care when the world ends..if it ends with me then let it..however i heard that a big meteorite is heading towards earth and will reach here on 2012..it seems to be almost big as our planet..i think i saw it on discovery
quex
gphoenix wrote:
i dont really care when the world ends..if it ends with me then let it..however i heard that a big meteorite is heading towards earth and will reach here on 2012..it seems to be almost big as our planet..i think i saw it on discovery


I would like to know more bout this meteorite, please. We've had a few close calls (astronomically speaking) in the past few months, too, if I remember correctly. Here's the most recent.
Bikerman
Sounds like Speilberg's work to me... Smile
Chilavert
a story: D
IndirParadise
Only a Story.... It's nonsense. Just another thing to scare people of the mighty god and let them behave.
I dont really care when the world ends.. but if ends than how it going on, with a big bang.
busaboss
No one can ever know when will be the end of the world. Only the almighty God can and will decide upon it. This kind of stories where just build to create a buzz and scare us. There were a lot of "end of the world" predictions that eventually failed because it is only a guess after all.
enilsoncba
Quote:

I see everyday something about 2012... what do you think is this really the end of the world?




As the Long Count dates are unambiguous, this was particularly well suited for use in monuments. The monumental inscriptions not only included the five digits of the long count, but also included the two characters followed by two characters Tzolk'in Haab '.

The incorrect interpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis of a belief the New Age movement, a cataclysm that would happen on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is only the last day of the 13th b'a'ktun. It is not the end of the long count, they still will follow the b'a'ktuns 14 to 20 .

Sandra Noble, executive director of the Mesoamerican FAMSI research organization, points out that "for the ancient Maya, was cause for great celebration reaches the end of one complete cycle." It also considers that the submission of December 2012 as an event to the world or cosmic change as "a total fabrication and a chance for many people make money."
kelseymh
The Wikipedia article on the Long Count calendar is (surprisingly Smile ) quite good, with references to both secondary and primary sources.

enilsoncba wrote:
Quote:

I see everyday something about 2012... what do you think is this really the end of the world?


As the Long Count dates are unambiguous, this was particularly well suited for use in monuments. The monumental inscriptions not only included the five digits of the long count, but also included the two characters followed by two characters Tzolk'in Haab '.

The incorrect interpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis of a belief the New Age movement, a cataclysm that would happen on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is only the last day of the 13th b'a'ktun. It is not the end of the long count, they still will follow the b'a'ktuns 14 to 20 .


And even the 20th b'a'ktun isn't the "end" of their calendar system; see the Wikipedia section on piktuns. In principle, the Mayan calendar could be used to reference dates arbitrarily far in the past or the future.

It must be a reflection of their cosmogonical views, but the Maya (and Maya-related cultures) addressed their version of the "Y2K problem" in a clear and systematic way to cover time reckoning far outside their local experience.
At Quirigua, there are two stelae with "extended Long Count" dates referring to 'events' (or something) 90 million years in the past, and 400 million years in the future!
Blummer
There is no way I will believe in Dec. 2012. I've got my own reason - it's just some else's game to distract our minds from everyday issues and there are many people who do.
pauline123
Let it come, if we die we die. We can not stop it if it is inevitable. That being said I for one believe most reasonable people that would surely know if this was going to happen be it from meteor or our own human doings, if they knew they would do something about it. Besides, what is a "small" science experiment going to do kill us? I do not think so. If it does come to it though it has been nice typing to you all.
rattoonline
Just search these on google and you will see many suffer.

- syria
- iran war
- japan tsunami
- earth quake
- metheoride europe
- typhoon usa
bukaida
Oh no!! Not another hoax please. We have enough of this by now.
zimmer
MatthijsM90 wrote:
Quote:
One of the time periods of the Long Count of the Maya is the baktun, which lasts 144,000 days. In some texts of the Maya a new period of the Long Count is said to begin after 13 baktuns (exactly 1,872,000 days). Such a new period in the Long Count of the Maya will probably begin on 21 December 2012, when the Long Count returns to 0.0.0.0.0 (see the Historical Calendar Page), and some people expect to see special things in the sky or on Earth then that would not otherwise be expected.

The interest for 21 December 2012 seems to have been spurred by publications by John Major Jenkins, who (if I understand correctly) is of the opinion that the Maya designed their Long Count in order that the coming special date 0.0.0.0.0 corresponds to a southern solstice (when the winter begins in the northern hemisphere) when the Sun stands in the Milky Way in the sky. Mr. Jenkins reached this opinion based on extensive research of Maya texts and other traces.

As far as I know, no text by the Maya has been found in which they explain (unambiguously) how they chose the day on which their Long Count should start (or on which the special date of 0.0.0.0.0 should return), so we cannot be sure why the Maya designed their calendar in that way. We can form opinions about this, based on other knowledge we have of the Maya culture and of other calendars, and depending on how much weight we assign to each fact and each opinion. Different people can form different opinions about this.


I see everyday something about 2012... what do you think is this really the end of the world?


I don't agree with this...
deanhills
Well in my own limited world I'd have thought if anything meaningful out of the ordinary would have happened on 21 June, it would have been a pointer to 21 December, but in the end the summer solstice came and went without any special mention any where. Only thing that was slightly different was that it sneaked up on every body on 20 June. So I guess every one who is focused on 21 December should work on 20 December too.
medesignz
deanhills wrote:
Well in my own limited world I'd have thought if anything meaningful out of the ordinary would have happened on 21 June, it would have been a pointer to 21 December, but in the end the summer solstice came and went without any special mention any where. Only thing that was slightly different was that it sneaked up on every body on 20 June. So I guess every one who is focused on 21 December should work on 20 December too.
Erm... It was raining... Rain in Summer... ARGGHHHH
Kaitaye
I hope that this is all baloney. I do not have time to earn money on the Xbox and the car.
medesignz
Of course its baloney... This is a pseudo topic at best...
Bikerman
[Mod mode]
Agreed.
Thread closed
Bikerman
[/Mod mode]
Related topics
How long will Earth survive?
World ending in 2012
"Nibaru / Planet X"= End of the world
December 21, 2012
Template Needed, Will pay ALL my Frih$ (over 900)
09/09/09
an awful year.
End of the World: May 21st?
End of the world June 21
Entire ghost city appears over Chinese river!
What's 2012 been like for you so far?
The end of the world is coming?
today is 12-12-12
Do you believe the film 2012?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> Science -> Earth

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.