FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Web Design Magazines in the US

Phil
I've noticed that the Books-a-Million here carries a few different Web Design magazines. I picked up a couple awhile back and was really pleased with them.
Problem is all the design magazines I saw were based in the UK and $16 a pop for each issue. A yearly subscription was about $120.
Sure I can splurge every now and again, but $16 an issue is just a little too much for me to pay. Not to mention there's about 4 different magazines I wouldn't mind subscribing to if it wasn't so darn expensive.
So does anyone know of any US based design magazines? I've looked around and I can't find any.
I did find one called Layers. But that ones seems to be more graphics orientated. I wanted something that covers the whole scope of design. That one is a little better price wise, but it's still $10 an issue.
Star Wars Fanatic
Phil wrote:
I've noticed that the Books-a-Million here carries a few different Web Design magazines. I picked up a couple awhile back and was really pleased with them.
Problem is all the design magazines I saw were based in the UK and $16 a pop for each issue. A yearly subscription was about $120.
Sure I can splurge every now and again, but $16 an issue is just a little too much for me to pay. Not to mention there's about 4 different magazines I wouldn't mind subscribing to if it wasn't so darn expensive.
So does anyone know of any US based design magazines? I've looked around and I can't find any.
I did find one called Layers. But that ones seems to be more graphics orientated. I wanted something that covers the whole scope of design. That one is a little better price wise, but it's still $10 an issue.

I just took a look on Google, here's one that appears to be free, at least at first:
http://www.websitemagazine.com/

Another one:
http://www.digital-web.com/

I've never seen any web design magazines in book stores or anything, but I haven't really looked. Now that you've mentioned it, it has peeked my interest, and I'll be looking in a gas station or book store the next time I'm in one.

* Note: these are all online magazines, I don't know if it's something your interested in, but as they do appear to be free...
Phil
Thanks.
I'm familiar with Digital Web. As a matter of fact, I already get their newsletter. Usually has some pretty good articles. I'll check out that Website Magazine. It can't hurt. I'll add it in with the other dozen newsletters I get.

But I was looking more for the printed format. Something I can carry around with me and read when I'm not busy at work.
To my knowledge, there are none in the US.

I will keep looking.
Phil
Quote:
Note: these are all online magazines, I don't know if it's something your interested in, but as they do appear to be free...

WHOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Wait a second there Star Wars Dude!
It does appear that Web Design Magazine offers a printed issue for free!!
It looks like it's every 3 months, if I'm looking at this thing right.
Oh well, if it's free then it's for me! I'll give it a looksey.

Thanks again!
Star Wars Fanatic
Wow, that's awesome, I'm glad you found something, I think I might sign up for it myself.
GB
Layers is more of an Adobe "Tips and Tricks" magazine. I used to subscribe to it too and it is useful, but geared more towards learning the Adobe products, not necessarily creating with them (although it does a little of that, too, its just not the focus). How Design is more about design and the business of design. Quite useful for my stage as a designer. They also offer your first issue free.

As far as web design magazines, sign up for A List Apart's RSS feed. It is a very valuable source for all things web design and development.

**EDIT**
I just remembered that even though you don't subscribe to Layers, you can get to their tutorials.