FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happily Married - Is it a myth?

How many years have you been married for?
0 - 2 years
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
2 - 5 years
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
5 - 10 years
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
10 - 20 years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20+ years
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

techscholar
I am currently coming up to my 10 year wedding anniversary and are still very much in love with my wife. In this day and age it is very rare, and I believe it is based on the fact that we were good friends well before we started dating. I'd be interested to see how many people out there are married and the number of years that you have been married.

I get depressed when I hear the statistics around divorce.

I hope you will take part in the poll.

Thanks in advance.
pll
Well I don't believe it's a myth. My parents have been married for over 30 years now and they are still in love Cool

I hope my wedding will last that long
JoshuAAR
I defiantly don't think its a myth. My parents have been married for a long time, and so have both of their parents. Like everything there are positive and negative examples though. and these days divorces are becoming more and more popularly occurring. Marriages that last would sill outway divorces though i would think Confused
ssthanapati
nope.. not a myth.... seen my parents... they are going strong for 26 yrs... never even seen them fighting.. wonder how they manage
jenss
It's only a myth if you don't believe in the sanctity of marriage. When you say "I DO" do you mean it? Do you really promise to love each other for better or worse until death do you part?
apple
I'm not married yet...but it's been 4 1/2 years (today!!!) and we're not bored yet lol
winmark
It's definitely not a myth and nothing strange as well in our part of the world (sub continent). Most marriages survive a lifetime here.
Raydon
Well it's more of 50-50... either they are totally in love untill the end or its a myth...hehe Wink

Married ppl just need to listen to each other and that's it..nothing else.
edwinl
it depends on how one person can understand the other, it is possible to do but hard to reach.
furtasacra
I was with the same man for almost 12 years and he just recently left me for a homely redneck with a better job, just before Thanksgiving. The economy stole my husband. He showed up drunk and weepy and tried to have sex with me on Christmas Eve.
TrueFact
Love after marriage, in general, is not a myth at all and it should last as long as marriage goes on. But due to life circumstances, family responsibilities, work, etc of everyday life which drive married lives into a very basic routine that bores both ends. I know a couple that scheduled their sexual life, and they complain about their love turned into a cold relationship targeting taking care of the kids and planning the best for their futures.

Lives like these sure will cool down the heat of love everyday in this marriage. I think we shall talk about passion in marriage not love as, to my point of view, every two spouses love each other and care for each other. It is just passion that disappears from the relation everyday their responsibilities grow bigger. By time and after many years, it is completely cold and the spouses find themselves planning for retirement before they even begin it or enjoy the full flavor of it.

Then, and again to my point of view, the question should be:
"How to keep the passion or increase it? How to fight the routine from taking over your life?"
TrueFact
And yeah, I forgot to answer the main question. Embarassed
I was married for two years and we were happy enough to live happy ever after, at least I think so.
torboxz
I've been married for 3 years. We have one son, for the time being. We're happy that we got married but to say that we're happily married is so subjective. We do fight along the way (it's not happy at all) but we try to understand and compensate each others flaws. For those who don't understand would say that we're not happily married but the fact is that I'm glad that I have someone to fight with and not afraid or feel ashamed when it's time to make an apology.

Marriage is one complete package which needs an utterly understanding and in return, it gives you everything, really, everything! Divorce is just a clause that should have been dropped. I'm sorry for all divorcee out there, you're what you're now because one of you, maybe both of you are so self centered, egoistic and limited to or caring only about yourself and your own needs that you forget all those promises, those smiles, those hugs and kisses and the happiness that you have shared. Again, I'm sorry I said this, but it is my honest opinion. I'll hope and pray that I will not be one of them.
deanhills
techscholar wrote:
I am currently coming up to my 10 year wedding anniversary and are still very much in love with my wife. In this day and age it is very rare, and I believe it is based on the fact that we were good friends well before we started dating. I'd be interested to see how many people out there are married and the number of years that you have been married.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Anniversary. Think there is a general consensus that this is not a myth, so nothing to be worried about! If it is a myth, well all I can say is to make it one of the marvelous myths there could be. Hope you have some awesome celebrations. Smile
Dean_The_Great
techscholar wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I've never been married, and only considered it once, but I'm glad to hear that it's working out for somebody. It sure is rare to find something like that, and I hope some day I can find it.
Prasad007
lol zero... I'm unmarried! Razz
albuferque
"Like people, marriages also go through different developmental stages and predictable crises.

Everyone is familiar with the infancy stage of marriage — the "honeymoon period" — but what happens after that? Because people are unfamiliar with the emotional terrain, the normal hills and valleys of marriage, predictable transitional periods are often misunderstood, causing overreactions. Those who manage to weather these universal stormy periods usually come out the other side with greater love and commitment to their spouses. That’s why I want to offer you a marriage map."

http://www.songtime.com/sbc/sbcfivestagesofmarriage.htm
gandalfthegrey
It is not a myth, but it is much rarer then people think.

Most people either marry too young, or marry the wrong person out of attachment, guilt or desperation.
torboxz
albuferque wrote:
"Like people, marriages also go through different developmental stages and predictable crises.

Everyone is familiar with the infancy stage of marriage — the "honeymoon period" — but what happens after that? Because people are unfamiliar with the emotional terrain, the normal hills and valleys of marriage, predictable transitional periods are often misunderstood, causing overreactions. Those who manage to weather these universal stormy periods usually come out the other side with greater love and commitment to their spouses. That’s why I want to offer you a marriage map."

http://www.songtime.com/sbc/sbcfivestagesofmarriage.htm

Nice link albuferque, I'm sure this will help me throughout my marriage. I have it printed and posted on my office noticeboard since most of my colleagues are married (less than 5 years and the younger couples still in stage 1) it would do them good. Plus it's a good thing for the bachelors too.

Thanks!