FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Broken Remakes

achowles
Every now and again a game comes out with an awesome premise, endless potential but severely flawed execution. Something that could have been a true classic but was instead rendered bin-worthy due to its unplayability.

What games would you like to see remade?

Remember: this isn't about old classics you'd like to see remade or games you wish were ported over to a different platform. This is only about games that could have been great but were trashed by their flaws.

Example: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Here is a game that used a well established RPG license, wove an interesting story, used Half Life 2's source engine even before the aforementioned was released, had great characters and yet still managed to screw it all up with show-stopping bugs. The game was pretty much unfinished. Yet it would make for an awesome RPG if done properly.
Agent ME
Semi-offtopic - but isn't that game that you mentioned the one where a bunch of fans made an unofficial patch that fixed a lot of the bugs and added new content to the game?
achowles
Yeah, it's actually quite playable and doesn't crash so much with those patches. They also added in a load of content that was on the disc but left out of the actual game.

Still a polished remake (or simply another edition to the license) would be very welcome.
enygmasoft
achowles wrote:
Yeah, it's actually quite playable and doesn't crash so much with those patches. They also added in a load of content that was on the disc but left out of the actual game.

Still a polished remake (or simply another edition to the license) would be very welcome.

d
GTa 4 never liked my ps3, it was so buggy the installer never finished, no matter how many times i deleted and restarted it. This wasted the whole rental weekend, because I rented it as soon as it was released. Unfortunately, the patch was never released in time for the weekend, which sucked for me.
blk3
Final Fantasy VII, I really didn't like the way it was made, after I played Crisis Core I just realized what where they thinking using SD (Super Deformed) characters when they made VII. I hope they remake this (I don't care on what platform) using current technology, and pls. no SD characters. As mostly VII isn't comedy its one of the more serious FF when it comes to storylines.
Kcin1
Elder Scrolls Oblivion.
An amazing game but it has one of the worst, if not the worst, level up system in a modern day RPG. You have to monitor you stats closely to make sure you only increase the skills you need the exact amount. It you just power up the skills you want and not pay attention all the monsters in the game will out power you over time(they level up with you). When I got to level 5 and had trouble killing things that died in one hit at level 1 you know something is wrong.
Kelcey
Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger

I'd be interested to see how they make the leap from 2D sprites to full 3D. They were both awesome games as well.
amperx
Kelcey wrote:
Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger

I'd be interested to see how they make the leap from 2D sprites to full 3D. They were both awesome games as well.

yes without a doubt, it would turn out a much more awesome game than its 2d counterparts, unfortunately they base it on fans Sad
achowles
I'd just like to remind people that this thread is about games that could have been great, but weren't. Not old classics you want to see ported. I think there is already a thread that covers those. If not then I'll have to start that one too. Oh, and remember, kids: Square's idea of porting old games onto new platforms isn't what you'd call customer friendly. While you may want to see these ports, what you'd get is exactly the same game at the price of a brand new title. :<
achowles
Kcin1 wrote:
Elder Scrolls Oblivion.
An amazing game but it has one of the worst, if not the worst, level up system in a modern day RPG. You have to monitor you stats closely to make sure you only increase the skills you need the exact amount. It you just power up the skills you want and not pay attention all the monsters in the game will out power you over time(they level up with you). When I got to level 5 and had trouble killing things that died in one hit at level 1 you know something is wrong.

I know exactly what you mean. What's the point in developing your character if it serves absolutely no purpose at all? Worse than that, its levelling system is actually counter productive. The higher up you go the worse you get. Given how much I loved Morrowind, Oblivion should have been a no brainer for Game of the Year for me. But while it managed to fix many of Morrowind's problems, it introduced many more significant ones in its place. One of the most significant being that crappy levelling system. Ah well, at least we have Fallout 3 now!

Definitely a broken game and definitely one that could be awesome if they fixed it.

enygmasoft wrote:

GTa 4 never liked my ps3, it was so buggy the installer never finished, no matter how many times i deleted and restarted it. This wasted the whole rental weekend, because I rented it as soon as it was released. Unfortunately, the patch was never released in time for the weekend, which sucked for me.

Man, that sucks! What's with the PS3 getting all these trashy ports anyway? I know developers say it's a pain to work with, but you'd have thought they'd have got the hang of it by now.