FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What OS you live

mcrong
Hi everybody!
Today i want to know: You like OS the best and why you choose it
You can advice me the OS is the best for server, so i think linux is the best answer but i dont know you will vote OS ?
Ankhanu
Try checking the other threads about these topics.
mehulved
Too many of such threads around.
And anyways you can't choose that way. Each one has a different choice. Try Linux, Windows and Mac OS X if you are just a user i.e. not a developer, and see which one you like the most and which consumes optimum resources.
Resources doesn't only mean money but also other factors like time, willingness, etc.
e.g.
You may already have a new PC and would not want to buy new hardware. Then that rules out Mac OS x.
You may not want to indulge in regular maintenance of your OS then that rules out Windows
You may not want to fiddle around even a bit with command line or you surely know that some critical hardware/software that you need doesn't work with Linux, then it would be ruled out.
So, finally it is upto you yourself to try it out and decide for yourself then relying on other's words. People can give you pointers and guidance but cannot make decisions for you.
cyberbuddy
I know Linux is the best as far as user friendliness is cosidered then i think windows is the best because any one can adapt to its features quickly
mehulved
cyberbuddy wrote:
I know Linux is the best as far as user friendliness is cosidered then i think windows is the best because any one can adapt to its features quickly

It's just about familiarity. There are many people around, including me, who find linux much more user friendly compared to windows. it's about how much exposure you have to the OS in question.
ezekiel_rage
mcrong wrote:
Hi everybody!
Today i want to know: You like OS the best and why you choose it
You can advice me the OS is the best for server, so i think linux is the best answer but i dont know you will vote OS ?

an OS is just like a tool, as with any other piece of software.

Use what ever fit your needs best.

If you would like to play games, then go with windows as most games are released for that OS.

if you just like to browse and use office productivity programs, you have a choice to go for Linux.

if you don't like to pay for licenses that restricts the way you use your computer then go with Linux.

if you'd like to moify and configure your desktop environment to death then go with Linux.

if you'd like to be able to use your computer to the most optimal resource use, Linux

If you'd like to be free from viruses, go with linux.

if you'd like very cool eye candy, linux can do that. as well as macs

mac is very nice, but you have to have computers made by Apple.

so you, there are a lot of choices
thadnation
ah, this discussion never gets old.

Windows is great. Millions of free programs and Thousands of commercial programs are made each year, and f you like games, Windows is for you.
Then we have macs. Thanks to the wine project, I can run most of my windows programs on my mac, although it's not the best with games. Security is a cinch, because only three mac viruses exist, when compared to the 480,000 total windows viruses, 80,000 of which are still alive and kicking. Software is also much cheaper. I paid more for office than I did for my OS! Also, I'm an amateur film maker, so I use a mac for all my editing. However, both windows and mac OS have some usability bugs that irritate me. for example, no right click, no tile windows or cascade option is ridiculous, while simple tasks like changing the color scheme on windows takes to long.

For reliability and ease of use, linux is the holy grail. however, you need to rely on community support, and not a lot of commercial software is available for linux. also, while you can set it up to work however you like, the setup portion takes a little longer than most people would like. finally, linux is meant to be a server/terminal OS, so all the fancy GUI distros are sometimes a bit finicky.

in the end, it's personal preference, which has been said over and over. this is no one good OS.

Personally, I use Mac OS as my main machine, I run windows programs in wine, and I run Ubuntu virtualized.
HardyPC
XP,Vista, or Ubuntu.I really like ubuntu because its free and it saves me alot of trouble from working to get the money for a new copie. plus it gives you the source code for moding. and the whole beryl addon and compiz is a great addition to it.
ianlacy
It really depends on what you are wanting to do.

If you're running a server, Linux is definitely the way to go. It's ultra stable, secure, and most of the Internet is running on Linux as we speak.

As a desktop OS, I get the best luck out of a dual boot XP and Linux.

There are many Linux distributions and finding the right one for you may take a little time. A good starting place for a beginner is definitely Ubuntu. That's where I started and still am. I was a total beginner and didn't know anything about the operating system. I quickly learned through Ubuntu's great resources of information.

I am currently looking into Fedora 9 because I am in need of a more "standard" Linux distribution because of the development I am planning to do.

The best way to learn is to experiment, but definitely start with a dual-boot, and work your way into Linux. Don't rush, and don't get inpatient. I'm sure you didn't learn how to use Windows in just one day.

-Ian
Ankhanu
thadnation wrote:
However, both windows and mac OS have some usability bugs that irritate me. for example, no right click, no tile windows or cascade option is ridiculous, while simple tasks like changing the color scheme on windows takes to long.

You need to explore your settings a little and learn how to do these things. Right clicking is certainly available with a Mac, as is window tiling/cascading. Right clicking with a single-button mouse is not possible (while maintaining left clicking anyway), but you are not limited to using a single button mouse; in fact, they don't even ship with a single button mouse anymore. As for changing the Windows colour scheme, it can take a while to set a custom scheme, but a default scheme takes seconds. I don't know of an OS in which creating a custom colour scheme is a speedy process.

ianlacy wrote:
I am currently looking into Fedora 9 because I am in need of a more "standard" Linux distribution because of the development I am planning to do.

I'm not sure why, but I've never been a fan of Fedora/Red Hat. I'd suggest something like Debian for a standard distro for development.
kirii
I'm using Windows XP pro Very Happy
I will not upgrade it anymore
surdy
Linux rules for me. Fedora is the one i use.
Eagerly waiting for Fedora 10. Very Happy
mehulved
kirii wrote:
I'm using Windows XP pro Very Happy
I will not upgrade it anymore

Till how long? I am sure that it won't be there till eternity. Razz
pha-camot
Windows XP pro
rvec
-close-
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-21.html

next time report it instead of posting it is a copy