FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NVIDIA PhysX and CUDA

Flakky
NVIDIA has been promoting their PhysX and CUDA systems they build on their recent graphics card to accelerate physics, make more complex physics and allowing hundreds of cores to compute data the CPU would normally do. Knowing this I wonder what impact do complex physics have on the drawing performance or doesn't it have any impact because the cores are not used for rendering?
Agent ME
I think the whole idea of having a chip (like the physics chip) dedicated to such a general-purpose type thing is stupid. Why not just make chips that have a bunch of specialized cpus (as they do now) but opened to the system for whatever computations (rather than being dedicated to just graphics or physics).
Flakky
Agent ME wrote:
I think the whole idea of having a chip (like the physics chip) dedicated to such a general-purpose type thing is stupid. Why not just make chips that have a bunch of specialized cpus (as they do now) but opened to the system for whatever computations (rather than being dedicated to just graphics or physics).
Basically that is what NVIDIA chips are doing. I had to download PhysX drivers so I could run the Ageia physics on my GPU instead of my CPU. With those drivers came CUDA, which allowes C and C++ to be processed just as the CPU would do. The thing I am wondering is that in-game physics computed by the GPU, how badly does it inflict the drawing speeds.