FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I got a new computer!

yourheartebooks
| got a new computer. It is one of these skinny and short jobs. It is an HP and I love it. What kind of computer do you have? Do you like it?

D.W.O.
Kcin1
I don't really like hp that much. I got a new one few months ago and if was full of crappy trialware that I had to uninstall(always a big disappointment to be the first thing you see when you boot up for the first time). It hasn't broken down yet so that is one highpoint.
Crinoid
Old full size clone PC, upgraded regularly. Notebook computers are less suitable for a work I do, much slower than same age desktop PC for large volumes of information and fast skimming the Web.
I had bad experience in past with HP printer and camera, and stopped using this brand.
bonestorm74
I build my own PC, it's cheaper that way and I can customise it the way I want. You have to know what you're doing to do that of course, so not everyone has that option. Yours sounds good anyway.
guanzz
sharp,now i am using is it
driftingfe3s
bonestorm74 wrote:
I build my own PC, it's cheaper that way and I can customise it the way I want. You have to know what you're doing to do that of course, so not everyone has that option. Yours sounds good anyway.

In my experience building your own PC cost more than buying a pre build one. I recently bought a new HP computer. It has a Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.66 GHz, 6GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS 512 MB, FM/Digital TV tuner and a bunch of other great stuff for $700. The processor alone cost almost $300! There's no way I'd be close to $700 if I bought those components seperately.
consultant57
I got a new computer and it is great. Complete mobility is here.
AMANITECH
yourheartebooks wrote:
| got a new computer. It is one of these skinny and short jobs. It is an HP and I love it. What kind of computer do you have? Do you like it?

D.W.O.

i got a hp too! thing is i have a laptop and da touchpad is really realyy dodgy:(.

lolz
ptfrances
My computer is a Toshiba Satellite and I will give an advise to everyone: don't buy this computer. I had several problems with since I bought it six months ago...
I am very disappointed by this computer Sad
MatthijsM90
I have an medion, dont ask me about the type, but it's great! So Many options with my computer,
when i did buy it, i got an tv-card free with it, watching tv on your computer is awesome!
leontius
ptfrances wrote:
My computer is a Toshiba Satellite and I will give an advise to everyone: don't buy this computer. I had several problems with since I bought it six months ago...
I am very disappointed by this computer Sad

I'm using a toshiba satellite now - I don't see any problems in terms of hardware, and software probably also if used the pre-installed Vista. Running ubuntu here is pretty rough, I need to look for workarounds, install drivers etc especially for the wireless.
soljarag
driftingfe3s wrote:
bonestorm74 wrote:

In my experience building your own PC cost more than buying a pre build one. I recently bought a new HP computer. It has a Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.66 GHz, 6GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS 512 MB, FM/Digital TV tuner and a bunch of other great stuff for $700. The processor alone cost almost $300! There's no way I'd be close to $700 if I bought those components seperately.

Yeah I agree... back in the year 2000 it was cheaper to build your own, but now it seems big companies price computers more competitive
soljarag
driftingfe3s wrote:
bonestorm74 wrote:

Yeah I agree... back in the year 2000 it was cheaper to build your own, but now it seems big companies price computers more competitive
Dean_The_Great
I have this Toshiba Satellite Notebook that I'm using. I need my computer to be portable because I move around a lot for business. However, if I didn't, I would totally be building my own, 'cause notebooks are a pain.
Jaan
guanzz wrote:
sharp,now i am using is it

dell, now i am using is it
dell m90, killer!! 2500m graphics, 4gees ram, 2.16 core duo.. but im building a new desktop soon
leosthenerd
HP computers are sucky. I've had my laptop for just about a year now and just as the warranty expires, it starts to fail. What a piece of shit. I'll never buy anything hp ever again, and I'm going to get a new computer, hopefully a mac, in the near future. I'm also rebuilding my desktop computer, so thats a plus. Wink
Idoru
driftingfe3s wrote:
bonestorm74 wrote:

I recentlly built a semi-new one. Don't know about prices in the U.S, but here, in Sweden, it got a lot cheaper
to build it. HDD, RAM and DVD I kept from the old one, but the rest I bought new. Ended at 3000 Skr, roughlly 300$,
I think. An ASUS M3A-H/HDMI mobo, 500W ACC included in an ACE-tower, TripleCore AMD Phenom, 2100 MHz CPU,
ASUS EAH2400 Series GPU. Not the latest and most expencive stuff, but sufficient for our needs and possible to
put some more things on eventually.
sketteksalfa
yourheartebooks wrote:

D.W.O.

What are your pc specs.
Kelcey
What do you mean by skinny and short job? Are you talking about the mini?
Kaseas
HP is crap. Worst company EVER. Mine just died. The motherboard crapped out. Now I got a:
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1005676&navigationPath=32009n100299n100520
Hogwarts
soljarag wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:
bonestorm74 wrote:

That's really not the case these days. If you buy the parts from proper sources, for example (in Australia) MSY (which has EXTREMELY low profit margins and gets by through its volume of sales), you'll definitely be able to end up with a much cheaper computer.

If you buy the parts from 'conventional' places with high markups, however, then you won't be able to create cheaper. It really does all come down to where you buy things from, although if done correctly self-assembly is cheaper.
ForceRun
Hogwarts wrote:
soljarag wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:
bonestorm74 wrote:

That's really not the case these days. If you buy the parts from proper sources, for example (in Australia) MSY (which has EXTREMELY low profit margins and gets by through its volume of sales), you'll definitely be able to end up with a much cheaper computer.

If you buy the parts from 'conventional' places with high markups, however, then you won't be able to create cheaper. It really does all come down to where you buy things from, although if done correctly self-assembly is cheaper.

We actually got a good thread going! I total agree building your 'own' computer is the way to go. I takes very little knowledge or experience to put together a sweet system. You just have to understand what a good system really is. Sure I can go to Walmart and get their Hp $400-$500 system that will basically just do email, but in two years that system won't be worth anything.

When HP, Dell, and so on, put together a system they open the box up to the lowest bidder. So your PSU, Motherboard, Hard drives, optical drives, ram, video card (if it has one which is very unlikely), sound board, and even cpu is the cheapest they can get. After 2 year you are guaranteed that at least one or two parts will break down. They usually post one spec. like the Ghz on the processor that is almost meaningless, and get people to point where they think their computer is just as good as one you could build.

The difference is when you put together your own system you can choose what you want. If you pick the brands with good warranties and good review you don't have to worry about your hardware. Plus you will get ten times the performance for nearly the same price. Compare the Celleron D with a Core 2 Duo with a ton of L2 Cache and you will get a much better system. Your system should last you longer, and run faster. For example, my first gaming system PIII 800Mhz that I put together for $800 in 2000 or so. It is still running, as my little sisters system. However my mothers Dell which she got in 2004 is long past dead.

Check out the prices on Newegg.com and you can easily put together a game worthy system for $600. Heck the cheapest system I put together cost $205 for a friend using old parts from past computers, and new core system. Not the best gaming system but easily upgraded to such, as he later spent a little more to get more Ram and Video card as he was able.

I just hate to see people missled by the Walmart style computers, and miss out on owning a solid fast system that would cost them less, and work much better.
Idoru
Word, ForceRun! Cool
Not much to add, but the future advantages with building ones own system. When spending some time
reading about the stuff you need, you also assimilate loads of knowledge. You get a hint here and there
of what matters, and there is tons of folks out there who gladly come with advice and share their experience.
For one, the last system I put together, the developer had no answes, but in forums, other users had solved
the same problem I had, eventually leading to a new BIOS-release from the developer!
That's progress. Cool Cool
Anyhow, when putting your own system together, you also get a great insight in what it is you're doing later
on. How to maintain the power, and wich parts to replace/upgrade. Not to mentione it's fun.
I used to put together systems from old, worn out parts, but now took the step to put some money
into the project. I still get a warm, fuzzy fealing when reading the adds in the newspaper, seeing what
you get for the same amount of money if you buy it in one piece. Smile
Tom112
Right now i got an "old" Sony Vaio VGN-FE21M and it΄s ok but i really

think that i have to replace it with something better.

I found an alternative HP PAVILION DV5-1214 can anyone who is familiar

with that give me some opinion what you think about that computer, or do

you have any suggestions for something simular.
Craeft
bonestorm74 wrote:

qft

Always build. However, I am going round and round with Asus right now because they sent me a defective motherboard and it's been over a month since I started the process of getting another one from them. In fact, I had to report them to the BBB due to their lack of support and their failure to honor the warranty appropriately. However, typically, building is much more cost efficient, and much more specific to the owner of the computer.
Craeft
driftingfe3s wrote:
bonestorm74 wrote:

Not true. You need to know where to look and know what you're looking for. It's cheaper to buy a prebuild if you want the stores to tell you what you need. But I don't recommend that. You end up with all this trial crap on the computer, you end up with crappy AV (like Norton), and they don't exactly put the highest quality hardware in the computer.

The one I just built has:

Asus Crosshair motherboard
GeForce 8800GTX OC graphics card
1TB HDD
8GB PC2 6400
7.1 surround sound card
DVD R/RW
AMD Athlon XP X64 X2
22" Flat Screen HD Monitor (with component inputs)
WiFi 802.11B/G/N
Win XP x64 (with red hat on secondary partition)
Logitech z5500 speaker system
D-Link Print Server
HP D5460 Photosmart Printer
2 paird of cathodes
Multiple LEDs (blues and UVs)
a 750W PSU with 4 12V rails (2 sata, 2 ATX)
Logitech G-9 mouse
Logitech G-15 keyboard
Asus Arctic Square CPU cooler

and I paid $1500 for the whole lot... new in box. newegg.com is my friend.

You have to know where to look, and you have to look for rebates. If I had boxed the system up directly after build and sold it, I could have gotten probably about $3K for it, easy. It's a game/design computer. The only option, really, to get a computer like that pre-build is to go through someone like Alienware, and they are so damned overpriced, it isn't funny.
psycosquirrel
There's already a thread for this here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-60233.html

It's even stickied!

HP is good from my experience, we run them all the time at work. We have been running for nearly a year with all HP desktops, with a 0% hardware failure rate. Did I mention there are at least 300 systems in the building?

Congrats on the new system!
thedinh
oh, HP is also good Product. but i like LENOVO. hic. in my coontry the people usually buy LENOVO notebook. Mybe it is a good PC for anyone?
does anyone think that is right ???
DrVoIP
i love Lenovo..i feel very comfortable while using
Craeft
Well.. finally got my computer working. It took Asus sending me four motherboards before one worked. They kept sending bum refurbs. However, now I am getting a sequence of BSODs on boot-up. Anywhere between 3 to 8 times before it finally boots up correctly. I can't get the code because it flashes the BSOD and then auto-reboots. I'm pretty sure it's none of my other components as I ran a diagnostic on each of them and then took it to a certified tech for verification and they said all the components are fine. There's something tweaked in the motherboard. Hell, I might be able to fix it with a BIOS tweak. Not sure yet though. Anyway... I know this was kinda off-topic, but sorta delves toward "new computer" stuff.