FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teachers Attitudes

techscholar
I'd be interested to hear different peoples experiences with teachers and the attitudes they portrayed in the classrooms/lecture halls.
Growing up I found study, lets say, not a natural thing for me. I found that the subjects where my teachers / lecturers were enthusiastic about the material, whether it was part of the curriculum or not, they made the entire experience more enjoyable.
The reason I have select this forum is that I had a physics teacher in high school that made the topic very enjoyable. He was a die hard Scotsman and he was enthusiastic about everything to do with physics.
I'd be interested to hear others experiences with influencing there education progression based primarily on the attitude of the educators they encountered during school / university.
jsarnold
During junior school (7-11 years) I had fantastic teachers - very creative and understanding. Unfortunately when I hit secondary school, almost all the teachers were far more concerned with scores and league tables than developing creative minds and challenging us as individuals.

I would pick out one teacher who i had at the age of 18 who really helped me to develop and move on. He seemed to really take a genuine interest in the individual struggles and challenges we had, and took out time during his breaks and lunches to mentor us. That made so much of a difference to me. In fact, one 20 minute chat with him actually resulted in me moving up two grades during my A-level studies!

I trained to become a teacher, and tried to follow his example. It was certainly much more satisfying seeing the genuine understanding and gratitude of youngsters than seeing them walking out of an examination room like sheep.

Sadly, bureaucracy meant that i was spending more time with piles of paper than I was with my students, and after 12 years I quit teaching.
disvi3tphong
i'm a teacher cadet at my school.
senior right now and can't wait to graduate
we visit the elementary school we're assigned to every wednesday
and i noticed that some teachers that are teaching.. shouldn't be
teaching because of how they act towards the students.
it's pretty sad that i can't really do anything
torboxz
Dear disvi3tphong, you said that you can't really do anything. Actually you can do something. Go and talk to him. Tell to him that it is not the way to act towards the student (politely, we are and adult after all). Tell him right then and there. If you do it politely, he has got no reason to talk back and if he does, shame on him.
OpposableThumbs
...you make sure that your criticism is warranted. You might ask whether anyone else came away from the class with the impression that the teacher was not doing his job. Or you might first ask the teacher why he was doing whatever it was he was doing. Maybe it's a consciously-crafted strategy. Teaching is one of those professions that everyone believes he can do better. Being a patient does not make you a good doctor. Being a student did not necessarily make you a good teacher.
WhistleTurning
I started teaching 40 years ago. Then it was a pleasureable experiance to impart knowledge and inspire many young people to take an interest in the facinating world of Mathematics. Over the years Governments have stuck in their oars, with successive Education Ministers putting in their two pennyworth. Now we have a dogs dinner of a system with so much pressure to "Prove value" has been added and tests are successfully passed that true teaching takes a back seat and the inspiration side of imparting knowledge has all but dissapeared.
Voodoocat
I think most teachers are so tied up with red-tape and administrative duties that they can't teach leading to demoralized and discouraged teachers. Unfortunately, then the high school students pick up the attitude and everything goes downhill.

Here in Georgia, the math curriculum is being changed from Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-calculus to Math 1,2,3,4. Algebra 1 used to teach functions, lines, and factoring. Now they are being taught how to use binomial expansion to calculate 11^3. The students have no idea what the teacher is talking about, nor why they should apply a complicated pattern to a very simple math problem.
slashnburn99
We had typing in school as a proper subject in the 80s/90s

The teacher, she was really fit, more boys than girls took the class!

Truth
Afaceinthematrix
The professor's attitude definitely has an impact on how enjoyable a lecture will be. But it shouldn't have an impact on how well you learn the material - you're still responsible for studying and making sure that you learn the material.
kerryworkman
I have been lucky to have had a fair amount of teachers that were very passionate about what they were teaching, and it made a huge difference in my learning experience. I will say that I have always loved to learn, so I even took a lot away from classrooms with boring teachers. It just made it more exciting and interesting, it brought the subject to life. The classes didn't drag on, and I have to say that it made the actual learning part much easier to take. It is just one more example of how loving what you do affects the people around you as well. I have found that some of my teachers that were not as into the subject, or just not into teaching did not plan on becoming teachers in the first place. It was something that they fell back on because they couldn't find any other use for their own education.
yagnyavalkya
what we need to know is the attitude of teachers towards different topics opr areas
1. child abuse
2. use of computers
3. Over work
4. grasping
and also this shoudl be differentiated according to the student background
rural urban peri urban and the region too
Generally
teachers' attitudes are positive and negative. rural and urban teachers held significantly different attitudes and teachers' attitudes were not essentially influenced by resources, teaching years or relevant special education training.
guissmo
Our Physics teacher was just as enthusiastic. Well, he always had jokes and it never fails to get my attention. On the other hand, one of my Math profs, though he doesn't have these scripted jokes, he properly discusses the lecture in the most systematic and easily-understandable way possible, that's why I like him. Good teachers spark interest on the subject, no matter how boring. And I don't think there's such thing as a "boring" teacher - just someone who doesn't take time to prepare creative ways to deliver a lesson. Smile
kerryworkman
My son just started at a new school, and I swear his teacher reminds me of Mark Walberg. It has nothing to do with the way he looks, it is all about the way he talks. He is soft spoken and very nice, but he has that hint of urban slang in the way he says things and in the way he chooses his words. Every time I talk to him it reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit where it has Mark Walberg talking to the animals "Hey dog, so you like chewing on bones dog? what's that like dog? Say hi to your momma for me dog." Friggin Hilarious!!! Smile

Just thought I would share. Smile
sarbull
education who cand speak about it Very Happy it`s great Very Happy
sarbull
great post man , i love it , it`s about education Eh? Smile Smile Smile
ParsaAkbari
Quote:
During junior school (7-11 years) I had fantastic teachers - very creative and understanding. Unfortunately when I hit secondary school, almost all the teachers were far more concerned with scores and league tables than developing creative minds and challenging us as individuals.

You just summed up educatuion pretty well, i like it!

I hate teachers which feel the need to help the pupils in the class who are "less able" Because i spend LOTS of time at home working so i can get good grades, and the whole while the teacher is milking somebody who really doesnt care.

I think, if you dont wanna work for education? Why should the teacher work for you?
thetinyclam
I think all of us here can agree that subjects we learned in school were much easier to digest if it was taught by a teacher who was passionate about the subject. I mean if they were really into it, their enthusiasm would seep from their pores and enters our own. As such, my favorite topics in high school were Math and Japanese. As such, I am now a Math major =].

But as we all know, not all teachers who are passionate about a subject make good lecturers. I mean I've attended some of the most boring lectures in the math department, but man, if you go to office hours, you can see that the professor really loves teaching and researching it. So over the last couple years, I've learned to make any class with a boring lecturer easier to deal with by not going to class and reading the book lol.
deanhills
thetinyclam wrote:
I've learned to make any class with a boring lecturer easier to deal with by not going to class and reading the book lol.

I did that quite a bit at University. Especially with my Philosophy classes. Pretty amazing too. I found a number of good books on any given subject that was taught by someone boring, and would get totally lost in them from a learning point of view. I actually did better than others who were attending the classes and focussed only on the materials provided by the Professor. I was never competitive in scoring well, but in this case it happened probably because I was passionate about the subject, and was lucky to find motivation and inspiration in books in the Library.
Mysteron_Agent
[quote="ParsaAkbari"]
Quote:

I hate teachers which feel the need to help the pupils in the class who are "less able" Because i spend LOTS of time at home working so i can get good grades, and the whole while the teacher is milking somebody who really doesnt care.

I think, if you dont wanna work for education? Why should the teacher work for you?

less able does not necessarily mean not wanting to learn or do well. If the pupil is obviously uninterested, insubordinate etc, then fair enough, but to imply "less able" is synonymous with those who don't care is wrong. Some get frustrated with their lack of success, and get upset, and if there is someone like you who seems to be able to get on under your own steam, why can't the teacher scaffold progress more with those who need it?
deanhills
ParsaAkbari wrote:

I think this is life in general, and not limited to education. Someone who is disadvantaged through either physical or social limitations who needs extra help. It is something that we need to accept as some people do need more help than others. It probably can be irritating for those who are eager to get ahead, but perhaps there is something that can be learned out of this too. Patience, compassion, tolerance, and perhaps how to help, as the world always rewards those who help one another. When you give someone a leg-up, almost miraculously someone appears for you too. So if you help someone else, invariably you are helping yourself too.
oncewelikedit
Its pretty clear that anyone who empathizes with the teacher, is supportive of the difficulty of their job. And I agree with these sentiments very strongly.

Pretty much any job, when it comes to the daily tasks, becomes a grind. I envy teachers for the seasonal nature of their jobs, because they regularly are given a new environment to re-adjust to and to keep the grind down.

But they also get the opportunity to influence people more directly than other post. This is why they get so much weight put on their shoulders. But the question that arises a lot, is whether the parents who blame teachers for all the faults of their children are mostly just guilty of thinking that because they arent paid to teach, they are not the most important teacher in their child's life.

For the same reason that people here say an enthusiastic teacher is so much enjoyable of an educational ride, I think parents who are enthusiastic can do a lot more.
crazygriffin
hehehe, my teachers can sometimes be crabby, espiecially the old ones, sometimes i think to myself, what on old hag, but i dont mean it, ohhh, only a little.
Chinmoy
one thing i do not like about teachers is when they underestimate the knowledge of students without knowing a thing about the student. Times have changed. Nowadays, we students are much more aware!! wake up teachers!
deanhills
Chinmoy wrote:
one thing i do not like about teachers is when they underestimate the knowledge of students without knowing a thing about the student. Times have changed. Nowadays, we students are much more aware!! wake up teachers!

Think this has been prevalent from the beginning of time. Teachers are obviously human and fallable. But at the same time, this can do major injury to the students.
Crazy_Canuck
jsarnold wrote:
I trained to become a teacher, and tried to follow his example. It was certainly much more satisfying seeing the genuine understanding and gratitude of youngsters than seeing them walking out of an examination room like sheep.

Sadly, bureaucracy meant that i was spending more time with piles of paper than I was with my students, and after 12 years I quit teaching.

I think this is a terribly sad, and probably all-too-common, situation. The best teachers are the ones who get burned out the fastest because of the institutional and systemic problems of the teaching system, at least that I see here in Canada. And I think in U.S. it is similar, yes?

I'd be interested to know how your original interest in teaching through the example your own teacher set for you has played out after you left the profession...
deanhills
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
I think this is a terribly sad, and probably all-too-common, situation. The best teachers are the ones who get burned out the fastest because of the institutional and systemic problems of the teaching system, at least that I see here in Canada.

I think it is a universal problem. So much bureacracy these days and pressure from Government Departments in the form of inspection, forms to fill out, so much paperwork, and for a salary that people cannot comfortably live on.
thommichhan
i think that if a teacher has got a good attitude it will surely be reflected in the students.
Children are the assets of the country. so teachers can influence them a lot.
Josso
I think it's one of the main factors that determines how well you do in a subject personally. If the teacher isn't enthusiastic about the subject it makes learning more difficult. Well, for me anyway.
biljap
I agree that teacherís attitude determines how students work on the subject. Iíve seen a lot of different teachers. There were those who ere very friendly, always trying to encourage you to learn, and the most important thing Ė trying their best to make you LOVE heir subject. After some time, you realize that you like it and you start getting involved into it more and more.

Also, there were teachers who didnít know their subject enough, or they didnít know to pass it to the students, or they were just not interested into itÖ After some time, you start to think different about the subject, you see that nobody is interested in listening to that sort of teacher, who just write down something on the board from his book and let students do whatever they want until the endÖ You stop being active, why bother if nobody cares? Confused

And there are teachers who do their job but only as much as they have to, nothing less, nothing more.
Iím not satisfied with the education I got in the school. If I havenít been learning on my own, I would know nothing! Mad
Kelcey
The best teachers are the ones who aren't pretentious or "above" the students. The best teachers I've had have always taught bluntly and could relate to the students. The teachers that teach formally and have a level of arrogance are always the worst teachers.
manlear
jsarnold wrote:

I would pick out one teacher who i had at the age of 18 who really helped me to develop and move on. He seemed to really take a genuine interest in the individual struggles and challenges we had, and took out time during his breaks and lunches to mentor us. That made so much of a difference to me. In fact, one 20 minute chat with him actually resulted in me moving up two grades during my A-level studies!

My current 8th grade science teacher is VERY creative and loves to challenge us. She is overall my fav. Teacher and i am sad to hear that you quit teaching. We need more teachers like you and her. And sadly there are none left.
bsbteng
I think most teachers are so tied up with administrative duties that they can't teach leading to demoralized and discouraged teachers. Unfortunately, then the high school students pick up the attitude and everything goes downhill.
Denvis
I'm currently at High School and some of my previous and current teachers arenít so enthusiastic. I have always found studying at home by reading the text book or going to study groups with friends more beneficial than doing anything in class.

Most of the teachers right now don't care about the studentís education as I am year 11 and it's not compulsory to attend school, it's my own choice. Teachers even said to the class if you don't want to be here no one is stopping you at the start of the year.

Last year (Year 10, 2008) I had this one teacher, she could not control the class at all and really all we did was copy from the board or read/answer questions from the text book every lesson, no class discussion nothing. Most of the time it's not the teachers but the class and if the class listens and cooperates with the teacher then BY GOLLY! It's one heck of a learning experience if not then prepare yourself for nothing but text book work and copying notes from the board.
wahyder
according to islamic belief teachers are next to parents.
wahyder
bsbteng wrote:
I think most teachers are so tied up with administrative duties that they can't teach leading to demoralized and discouraged teachers. Unfortunately, then the high school students pick up the attitude and everything goes downhill.

it is not like that my bro even teachers are humans they are also bound by the human limitations
jessicafuellgraf
teatchers are parents
Denvis
Chinmoy wrote:

I don't agree with you. Teachers in general do NOT underestimate students knowledge(at my high school anyway), infact they overestimate it(these are new teachers btw). I would rather have them underestimate my knowledge so when it comes to exams, they will design an exam which isn't as hard. Wink
Roflcopter
Denvis wrote:
I'm currently at High School and some of my previous and current teachers arenít so enthusiastic. I have always found studying at home by reading the text book or going to study groups with friends more beneficial than doing anything in class.

Most of the teachers right now don't care about the studentís education as I am year 11 and it's not compulsory to attend school, it's my own choice. Teachers even said to the class if you don't want to be here no one is stopping you at the start of the year.

Last year (Year 10, 2008) I had this one teacher, she could not control the class at all and really all we did was copy from the board or read/answer questions from the text book every lesson, no class discussion nothing. Most of the time it's not the teachers but the class and if the class listens and cooperates with the teacher then BY GOLLY! It's one heck of a learning experience if not then prepare yourself for nothing but text book work and copying notes from the board.

Kinda the same over here :/
Pogona
In quebec a teacher was filmed when he was very angry and the video was put on yutube. now we cant have cell phone or cameras..
Chinmoy
what people tend to forget that besides being a good teacher, they also need to be a good human being!
bukaida
There are two distinct things, A Good Teacher and A Popular Teacher. A good teacher may not be always popular and vice-versa. The main objective of student's life in today's education system is to
secure marks rather than acquaring knowledge. Again knowledge=marks is not always true in examination. So the general attitude by the student is--The teacher is/was Bad and by teacher--The student is/was not upto the mark. It is the parents of the students who are the worst sufferer.

In India we celebrate 5th september as teacher's day. On that day, the most senior batch of students use to take classes of the junior students(under overall supervision of a class teacher). That was one of the most enjoyable days of my life.

A good teacher is like a father or mother, who treats their students as their own son/daughter. Only a good teacher can bring interest to a particular subject.

All of us will more or less agree that we found most of the good teachers in our school days. For higher studies , the scenario became more professional and we slowly lost those varities.

A TEACHER CAN ONLY SHOW US THE DOOR, WE HAVE TO WALK THROUGH IT.