FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NaNoWriMo 2008

georgeodowd
Anyone here participating in National Novel Writing Month (www.nanowrimo.org) 2008?
What are you writing about? Have you succeeded before? Do you have a plot outline or are you going in blind?

I gave it a shot once before but didn't get past 7500 words. Now that I have a had a little more experience writing short things, I figured I'd try it again, but it's only fun if you know others are suffering along with you!
PennyLane
I'm a participant Smile First year, I hope I make it...

I'm writing a story about a girl whose father left 5 years ago, and eventhough she isn't aloud to go looking after him (her mom doesn't want to), she makes a road trip to the USA to try and find him. She finds out some dark secrets about her family overthere, but with the help of a guy she met she still wants to find her dad...
warriorpoets
I'm gonna try to focus on finishing the novel I started rather than trying to start a whole new special novel for NaNoWriMo. I'll definitely be writing though. Smile
Radar
Exams and the rest of life have caught up with me, so I'm unable to do it this year.

NaNoWriMo is great though, and having won it three times, I encourage people to finish - it's great being able to come out at the end and say that you've written a novel.
georgeodowd
Well, I've nearly made it to 5,000 words. Hoping to be to 7,500 by the end of the day. What with work and the election and everything, it's going to be tight! Best of luck to all you guys participating.
georgeodowd
Oh, and I'm writing about an orphan in the city who gets taken in by two superheroes with a tumultuous relationship. They're fighting a villain who's tearing apart the city looking for parts for her time machine, and whose greatest weakness is that she can't throw anything away.
georgeodowd
I'm now past 11,000 words and starting to feel the mid-story slowdown set in. I've been reading and re-reading the pep talks on NaNoWriMo.org in order to get past it - this is where I have always failed in the 20 years I've been trying to do this. I will feel pretty damn proud if I make it through this!
Nameless
Eh, NaNoWriMo is just the literature equivalent of those crappy mario fangames. Yeah you finished a novel, but it probably sucks, and you're just making it harder for anybody with talent and dedication to stand out amongst the crud.
georgeodowd
Nameless wrote:
Eh, NaNoWriMo is just the literature equivalent of those crappy mario fangames. Yeah you finished a novel, but it probably sucks, and you're just making it harder for anybody with talent and dedication to stand out amongst the crud.

I find myself having to disagree with this. I used to feel this way for a long time, which is why I never did NaNoWriMo. It's also why I never finished anything, despite wanting to. Sure, a lot of people (most people) are going to churn out a piece of crap. But you have to realise most of them aren't going to shop around for publishers afterwards. And if they do, some lackey intern is going to take one look at their stack of drivel and toss it in the out pile. So saying NaNoWriMo ups the anty for anyone is probably not so true.
For those of us who actually have the potential to write something good, however, NaNoWriMo may be exactly what we need to get over our perfectionist hang-ups and write that first draft. First drafts are nearly without exception all pieces of junk, anyway. But you have to get them out in order to refine them into something worth reading. I, for one, have made some major break-throughs in my writing by finally consenting to participate in NaNoWriMo. I'd suggest reading some of the pep talks on nanowrimo.org, since the best-selling authors who support NaNoWriMo have more convincing arguments about its merits than I do.
georgeodowd
I'm past the halfway mark now and well on my way to 30,000 words (which, I guess, is where we're supposed to be today). How is everyone else doing?
I'm trying to get to the climactic scenes pretty quickly, in favour of ending up with a finished story by the 30th which may just need a few scenes here and there to tighten everything up. This seems preferrable to not having a finished story!
Radar
NaNoWriMo 2008 has now ended! Anyone manage to finish? Anyone finish for the first time, and feel able to call themselves an author in a way that they haven't been able to before?
georgeodowd
I finished! It was the second (or maybe third) time participating for me, but this year was my first victory. It feels wonderful. The longest thing I had ever written in my life before this was under 10,000 words. I ended up with almost 56K. My story is definitely going to need a lot of revision, but at least now I have something to revise!

Anyone else successful?
georgeodowd
It's time to start thinking about NaNoWriMo 2009! Is anyone else going to participate? Anyone have a story idea already? I think I know which one I'm going to tackle this year, but I haven't started planning yet.
melind
I actually just thought about NanoWriMo today. I barely even tried in 2008 but I hope in 2009 I actually finish a novel. I always find myself abandoning my novels when they get too complicated. I have a feeling this year will be different. Then again I have that feeling every year. Laughing
georgeodowd
melind wrote:
I actually just thought about NanoWriMo today. I barely even tried in 2008 but I hope in 2009 I actually finish a novel. I always find myself abandoning my novels when they get too complicated. I have a feeling this year will be different. Then again I have that feeling every year. Laughing

My problem is usually that I don't plan before I write, and I get to a certain point and realise I have no idea what on earth is supposed to happen. NaNoWriMo helped me just... keep... going despite hesitations, which landed me with a decent working plot. Granted, I still haven't gone back and looked at what I wrote last year out of fear, but I have hopes that whatever mistakes I made last year I will at least improve upon a bit this year. (Really I'm just hoping to land that story that writes itself and sticks with you until you do it justice....)
guissmo
There are times when I want to write about something but figured it'd be pointless afterwards since no one's gonna read it or it wont turn out to be as interesting and as grand as I intended it to be.
georgeodowd
guissmo wrote:
There are times when I want to write about something but figured it'd be pointless afterwards since no one's gonna read it or it wont turn out to be as interesting and as grand as I intended it to be.

That's why writing, like all art, should be first and foremost for yourself. Or so I keep telling myself...
georgeodowd
Time to start gearing up for NaNoWriMo 2009! Anyone going to do it this year? I firmly intend to, but my schedule is getting a little freaky...
Has anyone finalised their plot yet? Made an outline? I've got it on my calendar to start some very rough plot drafting on October 1. Sure hope I am ready for it.
georgeodowd
Going to start a new thread for NaNoWriMo 2009! Just a few more days until the countdown begins!