FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

joomla blues. First time is the worst time.

titus1972
HI I could really use some help and It is probably not even hard but I have not been able to get joomla to install on frihost. I did it localhost without incident then following a tut from this site somehow I got lost and I can't get the initial install screen to come up after I uploaded the unzipped joomla 1.5 files and created a sql database. When I try launch the first run install the page does not open it just says page not found . I don't know... does anyone want to take a look? http://www.titus.frih.org/joomla

HELP{:

Thomas
RiCtee
It says: "Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to database"

You might have entered a wrong password or name for your database. If that is the case, you can easily change it by editing the configuration.php file in the Joomla folder in
Quote:
var $user = 'youruser';
var $password = 'yourpass';
var $db = 'youruser_databasename';

Also have you done your Joomla installation?
titus1972
Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to database
i thought I did that correctly i guess not.

ok I checked the log in and password are the same is there anything else in the configuration.php that i need to change? By the way I am testing two joomla sites one new install and on i installed on local server (My pc) and moved it all to the frihost server. I am just trying to get at least on of the two to take.

Thanks for your help.
rvec
are you sure you used the right username and database name?

On frihost the databasename starts with your admin panel username.
titus1972
An error has occurred.:

Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled. Alternatively, there could also be a problem with the server's session.save_path. If this is the case, please consult your hosting provider if you don't know how to check or fix this yourself.

right after i hit next on language in the first install
titus1972
i restarted the process this time the upload took now I am at the "Database Configuration" Page.

Host Name:

Username:

Password:

Database Name:

I don't want to mess this up again any help is much needed.
titus1972
i installed two diferent versions of joomla one is from scratch a full install and setup and i am still stuck at the above place trying to set up admin properly. The second is a version of joomla I set up locally and have gotten further with this one only I can't upload anything in the Extension Manager. Templates or components plugins...nothing. when I try it says ...

There was an error uploading this file to the server

or

* JFolder::create: Path not in open_basedir paths
* Warning! Failed to move file.

What have I set up wrong?
mOrpheuS
Host Name: localhost

Username: <your-directadmin-username>_<username> (eg., titus197_dbuser)

Password: <Whatever you specify when creating the database>

Database Name: <your-directadmin-username>_<dbname> (eg., titus197_dbname)
titus1972
thanks for the breakdown I Though I was doing it right now check this error out

No configuration file found and no installation code available. Exiting...

and that's right after I finished install and deleting the installation folder remember this is a new site.
What in the world could I have done now?
mOrpheuS
titus1972 wrote:
No configuration file found and no installation code available. Exiting...

and that's right after I finished install and deleting the installation folder remember this is a new site.
What in the world could I have done now?

Joomla will allow you to continue installation even if you don't have a writable configuration.php file in the joomla directory. The assumption here is that you'll manually create this file after the installation, and put in the required code inside it.

This is what I found on your site -
Quote:
configuration.php Writable - No You can still continue the installation as the configuration settings will be displayed at the end. You will have to manually upload the code. Click in the text area to highlight all of the code and then paste into a new text file. Name this file 'configuration.php' and upload it to your site root folder.

My suggestion is to copy the file configuration.php-dist as configuration.php and chmod it to 777 before running the installation (I've done these steps for you).

If you've already run the installation once and wish to re-use the same mysql database - select the option "Delete existing tables" in the "Database Configuration" screen.
titus1972
ok i have figured out the missing configuration file problem thank you for doing that you don't want to know how long it took me to come to that on my own last night. This problem is a result of and error problem i am having. I posted this on joomla.org:

2 joomla sites. One is a fresh install one I moved over from a local server setup. I have both installed but i can do things like edit text and some layout stuff I cannot install any plugins, templates, components or anything. The error is the same on both sites:

* JInstaller::install: Failed to create directory. "/usr/home/titus197/domains/titus.frih.org/public_html/soroptimists/plugins/content/jwsigpro"
plug in error same / Template error
My sites:
http://www.titus.frih.org/soroptimists

http://www.titus.frih.org/joomla

I am at the end of my rope>please someone your more than welcome to root around in there.
...and no one has responded.any ideas?
titus1972
I took your advice and then some I did what you suggested to the letter. same issue. Then I created another install and followed your directions to the letter and was defeated again.Have you seen this issue before? .. new site: http://www.titus.frih.org/joomla_2/

by the by: errors when I try to install anything (i.e. plug-ins or templates ect. ) are the same as before accept a new one that says:

There was an error uploading this file to the server.

That's three strikes. Thank you again for trying mOrpheuS.

Thomas
mOrpheuS
titus1972 wrote:
new site: http://www.titus.frih.org/joomla_2/

by the by: errors when I try to install anything (i.e. plug-ins or templates ect. ) are the same as before accept a new one that says:

There was an error uploading this file to the server.

The site appears to be working fine. If I understand you correct, the only problem you have now is that you're unable to upload plugins/templates.

Which, as the error message says, is because of folder permissions -

Joomla Documentation wrote:
The following files need to be set tot 777 to make installation possible:
/administrator/backups/
/administrator/components/
/administrator/language/
/administrator/language/en-GB/
/administrator/language/nl-NL/
/administrator/modules/
/administrator/templates/
/components/
/images/
/images/banners/
/images/stories/
/language/
/language/en-GB/
/language/nl-NL/
/language/pdf_fonts/
/modules/
/plugins/
/plugins/content/
/plugins/editors/
/plugins/editors-xtd/
/plugins/search/
/plugins/system/
/plugins/user/
/plugins/xmlrpc/
/tmp/
/templates/
/cache/

In the joomla_2 installation on your site, I can see that the plugins directory was set to 777, but the plugins/content directory was 755.
I've set the required permissions on the folders, please try to upload a plugin/template again.
titus1972
ok I Tries to install a plethora of plugins/templates ect. and the error is always the same.

* Unable to create destination

Thanks again for stick'in it out with me mOrpheuS

by the by it was on this site http://www.titus.frih.org/joomla_2/
mOrpheuS
titus1972 wrote:
* Unable to create destination

Now that the permissions error is gone, you should try setting up the FTP layer - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=431&t=286792

Setting up the FTP layer is the recommended solution for the error that you're getting - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=431&t=276318