FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Girl set alight for wearing lipstick

paul_indo
Quote:
Girl set alight for wearing lipstick
Sydney Herald
October 19, 2008 - 9:24AM

An 11-year-old girl has been set on fire by a relative in India's northern city of Jaipur for wearing lipstick and being inappropriately dressed.

Police say the girl suffered burns over 90 per cent of her body and her chances of survival are bleak.

They've arrested her great uncle who allegedly poured kerosene on the girl and set her alight yesterday.

Investigators say the 55-year-old man, a conservative Muslim, told the police he was enraged at the girl wearing lipstick and being scantily dressed.

But relatives have accused the man of trying to molest the girl and setting her on fire when she objected.

Can you believe this?
Sphaerenkern
Yes, because I know that there are people in the world who have values that seem very weird and brutal to me.
Unfortunately Sad
rshanthakumar
It is the capability of the mind to accept a change which is important. Most of the people do not have that capacity to accept the fact that others can have independent views. These are the causes of all the troubles that we see in our day to day life. This includes terrorism in the world to inter-personal misunderstandings at home.

This results in large scale violence depending upon where and how it happens.
icecool
i think its absolutely abhorrent. from a humane point of view.
most of the time children are not seen as people with their own views.
violence against others is totally against any moral standard - more so against a defenceless and dependent child.

but without making excuses or any judgement on cultural differences.

if he is a ( very ) conservative muslim.

a woman has no right to "enjoyment" or adorning herself.
a child is a non-entity.
a woman does as she is told.
in his mind it was his "right" to punish her as he sees fit.

a truly sad world.
jwellsy
It is not unusual at all. It is called an Honor Killing.
Women have no rights in some societies.
A father, brother or any male member in the family can kill the female member of the family for supposedly soiling the honor of the family.

A woman needs four witnesses to refrute one male wintness testimony.

One tactic to recruit suicide bombers is to rape a woman then give her a choice to die in shame from an honor killing or die in glory as a suicide bomber.

There was a real life documentary called "Death of a Princess" in the late 70's about a princess that was publicly shot in the head six times and her lover beheaded in honor killings.
bellebello
We're now in the 21st century. It's sad to think that such barbaric acts still exists in the world. These acts belong in the middle ages. Maybe the US should go and do a regime change in that part of the world.
c'tair
Yup, quite sad. Even though that about 1/3 of the world and its population is in the 21st century, the rest is not. Or so it seems. Fundamentalists, conservatives are people who like the old traditions, even though they're barbaric. What can we do against them? There are no honor killings where I live, there is only the taboo of not being a catholic. Young people are open minded, they don't care about hajibs or sunday mass, they are probably getting to the point that they know that all this mumbojumbo is utter bull shiite. And that burning and killing or ostracizing someone because of OUR beliefs is even worse.. well, I think that a few generations just have to pass to get rid of this god-beliefs-religion stuff.
thejam
Quote:
Maybe the US should go and do a regime change in that part of the world

Right... thats going to make it all better....
But hey, as long as there is no oil to take, the US won't bother to come there in the first place...
icecool
bellebello wrote:
We're now in the 21st century. It's sad to think that such barbaric acts still exists in the world. These acts belong in the middle ages. Maybe the US should go and do a regime change in that part of the world.

yeah wow that's a really great suggestion.

1. what business of the "great" usa is it what happens in india?
2. you just wanna kick the shit out of them as the usa is doing with half the world? because YOU think it's wrong?
3. i think it's about time that the usa is doing a regime change - look in your own filthy backyard before you start sweeping other peoples front step.
4. this is a difference in CULTURE - not regime.
5. but then an argument like that seems to be lost on people like YOU

god you make me sick
MatthijsM90
weird story, i don' t believe it...
prithvi
I feel embarassed whenever I read any such news from remote backward places in India.
There are those odd few that are still living with such redundant conservative values.

How many of you know that there used to be an ancient custom practised here in north-western India where a widow was forced to enter the funeral pyre after her dead husband. In those days (hundreds of years back), this used to be considered a sacred ritual. Women had literally no self-respect in those days.

Well, these things have been done away with, of course...........till the last century, one could still read about one or two freak cases in a year about this ritual still being practised in remote villages by a certain caste.

Worry not, folks..............These and such other weird news are bound to surface occasionally from regions that are thousands of years old.
coolclay
Quote:

1. what business of the "great" usa is it what happens in india?
2. you just wanna kick the shit out of them as the usa is doing with half the world? because YOU think it's wrong?
3. i think it's about time that the usa is doing a regime change - look in your own filthy backyard before you start sweeping other peoples front step.
4. this is a difference in CULTURE - not regime.
5. but then an argument like that seems to be lost on people like YOU

Excuse us for caring about the humanity of the world. I don't want to start a p1ssing match so I won't but people like you that think that everything the USA does is evil have some issues of your own. I certainly don't agree with everything we do, no one does, but I bet we do a lot more good around the world then most countries, including your own. At least we don't look the other way while people are getting brutally murdered, and tortured. We actually care and try to change the world for the better.

About the original topic, it's an awful thing to hear about, but unfortunately it's the norm for muslim extremists/conservatives. It's so sad because these muslim extremists are brainwashed and taught this crap from day one. They have schools where kids are taught that martyrdom for Allah is good, and the more infidels they kill the larger their reward in heaven. They learn this stuff from the time they start school to the end. No wonder we have these brainwashed madmen out there, if I was brought up in that I'd be the same way. The sooner we stop this evil brainwashing of innocent minds the sooner our world will be a better place.
icecool
looks to me that the brain washing is going on in lots of places.

cheers
watersoul
It never stops surprising me how brutal some people can be. Burned alive for wearing lipstick and the like?! Really really insane and horrible if that man did it simply because of how she looked, it does seem more believable though that he was abusing her and trying to kill her to cover his tracks.
Hope he gets what he deserves though, maybe would have been better if the relatives had got hold of him instead of the police.
prithvi
watersoul wrote:
.....it does seem more believable though that he was abusing her and trying to kill her to cover his tracks.....

I too agree.....that angle seems to be more convincing as a reason behind this cruel act.
truespeed
I wonder if those so called witches in Salem wore lipstick.
paul_indo
watersoul wrote:
It never stops surprising me how brutal some people can be. Burned alive for wearing lipstick and the like?! Really really insane and horrible if that man did it simply because of how she looked, it does seem more believable though that he was abusing her and trying to kill her to cover his tracks.
Hope he gets what he deserves though, maybe would have been better if the relatives had got hold of him instead of the police.

You have encapsulated the point I was making here. Noting about "regime change". Simply that there are some people out there who are not yet human in their thinking or actions.

They are in all countries, this is noting to do with culture or religion actually. Religion is the excuse used in this case but crazy insane murders and torture happen in all countries and they are not exclusive to any culture or religion. The local situation or upbringing of the perpetrator is simply blamed for the actions of a looney.
TheOnionRack
Unfortunately, I do believe this. I should hope that that despicable man receives a life sentence for what he has done. Any news on whether the poor girl survived? Even if she does, it can't be much fun recovering from burns like that.
prithvi
Courtesy The Times of India, Jaipur City Edition (Oct 19, 2008)

Web feed link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Jaipur/Grandad_burns_girl_after_rape_bid/rssarticleshow/3613973.cms

Quote:

JAIPUR: A 55-year-old man allegedly tried to rape his 11-year-old granddaughter in the heart of Jaipur. When the girl started screaming for help, he reportedly gagged her, poured kerosene on her and then set her on fire. The girl has been admitted to Sawai Man Singh (SMS) Hospital here with 90% burns. Doctors said her condition is "very critical".

The shocking incident took place at Dhannadas ki Bagichi in the Lal Kothi police station area on Thursday evening. The man, Saleem, was arrested and charged with attempt to murder. On Saturday, the cops also slapped a molestation charge on the girl's grandfather from the maternal side.

"We have conducted the girl's medical examination. She received 90% burn injuries," said a police source. Doctors at the SMS Hospital said it would take a lot for an 11-year-old child to survive 90% burn injuries.

According to the police, the victim was allegedly burnt by Saleem when she had gone to his shop along with her brother on Thursday evening. "The shop is located a few metres away from her house. Some people saw the girl rushing out of the shop in flames. People rushed to her rescue and somehow managed to douse the fire. She was then admitted to SMS Hospital," a police official added.

The incident shocked residents of this densely populated area when they saw the girl screaming in pain and running. "When the women standing nearby could not help her fearing the fire would harm them, the girl frantically entered a nearby house. The owner of the house - Mohammed Qureshi - took her back outside on the road where neighbours poured water on the burning girl. In the effort to douse the fire, Qureshi also received minor burn injuries," a police source said.

Saleem disappeared from the shop after the incident. "In her statement to the police on Friday, she alleged that Saleem burnt her when she tried on a lipstick in his shop. Her relatives, however, alleged that Saleem had taken the victim to a room at the back of his shop and tried to rape her. When she protested, he was infuriated, poured kerosene over her and set her on fire," the police said.

The police have recovered charred clothes of the girl and a bottle of kerosene from Saleem's shop. "We have recorded the statement of the girl and her relatives who alleged that Saleem tried to rape the girl. However, he probably could not commit the act as the girl fought back. We have booked him under section 354 (molestation) of the IPC," Asharma Chaudhary, circle officer (Adarsh Nagar), said.

This is clearly a case of attempt to rape...........disguised as an attempt of honor killing.
I sincerely hope that that cruel man is given the harshest punishment for this crime.

spring567
I believe it is the truth.
harismushtaq
Very sad story. But I am unable to think of some positive way to take on what to do.

Prosecution of the culprit and intensive care of the poor girl but how to change the minds of the people so that they behave as humans.
ocalhoun
harismushtaq wrote:
but how to change the minds of the people so that they behave as humans.

They already behave as humans!
Humans do things like that.
atul2242
[quote="coolclay"]
Quote:

Excuse us for caring about the humanity of the world. I don't want to start a p1ssing match so I won't but people like you that think that everything the USA does is evil have some issues of your own. I certainly don't agree with everything we do, no one does, but I bet we do a lot more good around the world then most countries, including your own. At least we don't look the other way while people are getting brutally murdered, and tortured. We actually care and try to change the world for the better.

About the original topic, it's an awful thing to hear about, but unfortunately it's the norm for muslim extremists/conservatives. It's so sad because these muslim extremists are brainwashed and taught this crap from day one. They have schools where kids are taught that martyrdom for Allah is good, and the more infidels they kill the larger their reward in heaven. They learn this stuff from the time they start school to the end. No wonder we have these brainwashed madmen out there, if I was brought up in that I'd be the same way. The sooner we stop this evil brainwashing of innocent minds the sooner our world will be a better place.

How the US cares about humanity is quite clear-

-first and only country in the world to use nuclear bombs, after first testing them on unsuspecting pacific islanders.
- agent orange use in Cambodia.
- oil wars
- promoting the Taliban in Afganistan
........ and many many more.....

Its quite clear that the American public is bought up on a lot of goodness propaganda and also on a hate the communist propaganda ( quite similar to the so called muslim extremists ).
But is every American so naive as to believe it and are they so similar to the brainwashed poor muslims ???
Star Wars Fanatic
Anyways, I'm not sure why this is part of the discussion, it's not on topic.

Another example of the injustice that is suffered by women in cultures where women are not people:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/rape-victim-13-stoned-to-death-by-1000-men-in-stadium-14049717.html

This happens quite a lot it seems, women, or in that case, children, are raped, and then killed for adultery. It makes little sense, and those who oppose it find themselves in the same situation as the victim. They receive threats, in some cases are killed, and it causes people to do nothing about it.
Quite sad.
atul2242
[quote="Star Wars Fanatic"]
atul2242 wrote:

How the US cares about humanity is quite clear-

-first and only country in the world to use nuclear bombs, after first testing them on unsuspecting pacific islanders.

What? What is the source for that? Or did you just make it up? Yes, the US used Nuclear weapons, to end a war that was killing millions of Jews, taking over Europe, and oh yea, Japan attacked the US first. But to say that the US was "testing them on unsuspecting pacific islanders" is just plain old bs...

Not BS, but the truth. Firstly the bomb was dropped when Japan was already loosing and the war was about to end.
As to the truth behind the testing of the bomb, please check out a film called Half Life - it has irrefutable data and is made by an Australian.

More replies to come
PS. I am not a communist and nor is China.
Star Wars Fanatic
atul2242 wrote:
Not BS, but the truth. Firstly the bomb was dropped when Japan was already loosing and the war was about to end.
As to the truth behind the testing of the bomb, please check out a film called Half Life - it has irrefutable data and is made by an Australian.

More replies to come

I didn't mean to suggest that you were communist, but with that comment, it just didn't make much sense in the post at all. In fact, your post doesn't make much sense at all in this topic, and it's full of "facts" that seem made up, with no sources.

It is quite debatable whether or not dropping the bomb helped end the war or not, but the war was not about to end. It is most likely that if the bomb had not been dropped, it would have taken another four years, and cost millions more lives then the 105,000 that were killed in the bombs.
I searched for your movie "Half Life", and I couldn't find anything about it. Perhaps you spent a little too much time playing the game, lol.

If you want to attack America, you should make a new thread, perhaps in the Political forum.
sondosia
Quote:
weird story, i don' t believe it...

THAT is sad.

How long will it take before people gain some comprehension of what goes on in other parts of the world?

Most Americans don't know that honor killing is an acceptable practice in many cultures. That many Muslim women's genitals are mutilated by men so that they can't feel pleasure during intercourse. That raping a woman is OK in many cultures.

Open your eyes, people. Please. I'm not saying we should go over there and try to change their regime; that's their own business. But why doesn't anybody believe that not every country is like America?
atul2242
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
atul2242 wrote:

More replies to come

I didn't mean to suggest that you were communist, but with that comment, it just didn't make much sense in the post at all. In fact, your post doesn't make much sense at all in this topic, and it's full of "facts" that seem made up, with no sources.

It is quite debatable whether or not dropping the bomb helped end the war or not, but the war was not about to end. It is most likely that if the bomb had not been dropped, it would have taken another four years, and cost millions more lives then the 105,000 that were killed in the bombs.
I searched for your movie "Half Life", and I couldn't find anything about it. Perhaps you spent a little too much time playing the game, lol.

If you want to attack America, you should make a new thread, perhaps in the Political forum.

Actually I did not want to attack america but draw parallels between accepting what is said and told, whether it is good or bad. We accept what we have been taught or what our society accepts or what a religious leader or elders says. And this is what forms our opinion.
I find the whole episode of the madman burning the poor child sickening and nauseating. But then so is most violence and all wars.

You may read about Half Life at the following - http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DEFD8133BF930A35751C1A960948260

Take care.
atul