FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[RESOLVED] Lost Hard Disk Jumper

orno
ok this is a weird one....
I recently bought a new HD and a dvd burner (16x baby!) and in the mish mash of the other HD's and burners and master and slave and cable select, i seem to have misplaced one jumper... obviously, this is a problem...or is it?

does anyone know any way I can make my own jumper, or perhaps, bypass having a jumper at all?

Thanks!
Daniel15
Some drives take 'no jumper inserted' to mean slave, so try making the drive with no jumper the slave drive. Other drives take it to mean 'cable select'. Just see if it works.

Otherwise, some shops might sell them (I know Dick Smith here in Australia sells them...)
orno
daniel15 wrote:
Some drives take 'no jumper inserted' to mean slave, so try making the drive with no jumper the slave drive. Other drives take it to mean 'cable select'. Just see if it works.

hmm ok, i'll try that.... just dont wanna damage a new 250gig HD which is already half filled Wink
coolclay
If I were you I'd just buy some off of ebay they cost next to nothing and it is a lot better then taking a chance of injuring your brand new hard drive.
Daniel15
I'm sure it wouldn't get damaged... the worst thing that could happen would be the computer not recognising the hard drive.

One of my hard drives actually requires you to remove the jumper in order to use it as a slave drive...
matjash
Do you have any old motherboard for example... If u do u can take jumper from it, couse I'm sure there is atleast 1 on it. And don't worry as daniel15 said u can't damege your HD if u try it without jumper's.
mitja
matjash wrote:
Do you have any old motherboard for example... If u do u can take jumper from it, couse I'm sure there is atleast 1 on it. And don't worry as daniel15 said u can't damege your HD if u try it without jumper's.

Or u could use even a jumper from your current motheboard since sometimes some jupers are not required... Check the manual for more info...
Donutey
just look at the top of the drive, to see config... cable select, or master/slave, see if you can find one that works without jumper as previosly said above...

all the jumper is is a little connective wire between two points... IF you were feeling adventurous u could solder a little bit of wire, or just take a small bit of metal to make connection ... tho i dont if this would cause problems or not... i usually just steal jumpers off old drives i dont use (ie.. 1.6GB "ginormous" hdd, or an old cd drive (remember the cd changers u had in ur pc?... lol)
Omego2K@
go to a computer tech shop, give them 50 cent and they'll give you a jumper.
orno
problem solved
i found a bashed up hard disk lying in my attic... had a jumper too Smile

thanks for the suggestions

-close-