FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


i just got my ps3 i have ?s





yusiyuseff
i just got my ps3 but it says that it does not play ps2 sofwares my frind has one too and he says that hes plays ps2 sofwares are there two diferen ps3? we have the us version
Diablosblizz
It should, although apparently the systems (depending on which one you have) are different and some don't read PS2 games. See here for more details.
sebbe44
Oh thats sad.

You see theres some differences about the ps3:s. If you have anything else then the 60:gb version you will not be able to play ps2discs. Sorry....
QrafTee
yusiyuseff wrote:
i just got my ps3 but it says that it does not play ps2 sofwares my frind has one too and he says that hes plays ps2 sofwares are there two diferen ps3? we have the us version

Yes, you probably have a PlayStation 3 without backward compatibility. Older Playstation 3s were able to play older games, but not the same with their newer counterparts. They were taken out to make the console more profitable.
alanw0
Yep, it is to do with the version of the PS3, the larger Gb one has more backward compatibility (or so I have heard). To be fair, if you are really desperate to play your old PS2 games then 2nd hand consoles are dirt cheap now so you may be able to pick one up for next to nothing...
miacps
That sucks. Sony seems to be slipping. At this rate the Playstation might go the way of the Dreamcast.
QrafTee
miacps wrote:
That sucks. Sony seems to be slipping. At this rate the Playstation might go the way of the Dreamcast.

... How do you see that happening?
spinout
Hm, WHO plays xbox games on a xbox 360 for instance??????????????
Not me, and I surely not play ps2 games on a ps3.

But the 60 gb had that option BUT the 60 gb version is a bit noisier than the newer ones (and more electrisity comsuming) since the newer machines have a better construction.
My ps3 (40 gb version) is more silent that the ps2 with a fan!!!! That is awesome!!!!
Yantaal
QrafTee wrote:
miacps wrote:
That sucks. Sony seems to be slipping. At this rate the Playstation might go the way of the Dreamcast.

... How do you see that happening?


the ps3 is anoverpriced and overrated console. i think the best way to look at it for now is a cheap blue ray player.
dcfive65
LMAO playstation will never die down...Its to strong...they never found the true power of the PS3
achowles
Sony are stripping out features to drop the cost of the PS3. Only 80GB or 60GB models have the backwards compatibility. But given the reduction in price and the price of the PS2 now, you can buy a PS2 with the difference anyway. So apart from the convenience of having an all-in-one system, there's not a lot you're missing out on.
enygmasoft
achowles wrote:
Sony are stripping out features to drop the cost of the PS3. Only 80GB or 60GB models have the backwards compatibility. But given the reduction in price and the price of the PS2 now, you can buy a PS2 with the difference anyway. So apart from the convenience of having an all-in-one system, there's not a lot you're missing out on.


That is the reason why you always do your homework before shelling out $600 on a console. I did mine and made sure I got the right version that had all the goodies that I needed,
Kelcey
You probably have the 40 GB version. If I recall, out of the million different ps3 skus that are around, that's the only one with no BC. The 80 GB has software BC while the 60 and 20 have hardware BC.
sebbe44
Ps3 reflects bullets! Thats its TRUE power!

It wont die! I costs 400 now, (Kinda), and thats a wii and an DVDplayer....

Nad now we have nice games too!
Ghengis
It's really sad, but Sony is phasing out the backward-compatible PS3 altogether. Now, you can even get a 60GB unit that doesn't have it. Before long (if not already) it won't be possible to buy a new PS3 that supports PS2 games. I'm actually really worried -- if my 20GB unit blows up for whatever reason, how will I play my PS2 games beautifully upscaled? Odin Sphere looks breathtaking in 720p, and if I send my console in for repair and get one back that has no BC, I'll throw a fit.
spinout
We'll if you got a ps2 slim -> good for the camping season... But ok the 60gb did do it - but The new ones consume less power and are more silent - infact the most silent of the new ones .
A Wii is more noisy than a PS3 - well the 360 forget it... not even playable cos of the sound.
The ps3 has an early flaw and it is the framerate due to unschooled programmers but the games today work well!!!
did u play ps1 games on your ps2 ?? or did u want it?? u can always get an emulator!
QrafTee
Ghengis wrote:
It's really sad, but Sony is phasing out the backward-compatible PS3 altogether. Now, you can even get a 60GB unit that doesn't have it. Before long (if not already) it won't be possible to buy a new PS3 that supports PS2 games. I'm actually really worried -- if my 20GB unit blows up for whatever reason, how will I play my PS2 games beautifully upscaled? Odin Sphere looks breathtaking in 720p, and if I send my console in for repair and get one back that has no BC, I'll throw a fit.

... Do you even know what you're talking about before posting?

The 60GB models have BC. There are NO 60GB models without BC, by the time Sony thought about scrapping BC, they discontinued the 60GB models.

As long as you're under warranty Sony should be able to take care of your 20GB. If you have an extended warranty w/retail store then you're out of luck because they'll just give you a new console without BC.

BTW:
20GB (US) - Chip-BC
40GB (Worldwide) - No BC
60GB (US) - Chip BC
60GB (EU) - Emu-BC
80GB (US) - Emu-BC
80GB (Worldwide) - No BC
160GB (Worldwide) - No BC
Ghengis
I haven't looked into emulators since I played a lot of SNES on my PC back in college. Is it possible to get a decent PS2 emulator running on my PC? I guess I could do that -- it might actually save me some heartache, because I have a ton of PS2 saved games backed up on my PC, and the SharkPort I used to transfer them over is broken so I can't put them back on a memory card... I'll have to investigate this further...
Ghengis
QrafTee wrote:

... Do you even know what you're talking about before posting?

The 60GB models have BC. There are NO 60GB models without BC, by the time Sony thought about scrapping BC, they discontinued the 60GB models.

As long as you're under warranty Sony should be able to take care of your 20GB. If you have an extended warranty w/retail store then you're out of luck because they'll just give you a new console without BC.

BTW:
20GB (US) - Chip-BC
40GB (Worldwide) - No BC
60GB (US) - Chip BC
60GB (EU) - Emu-BC
80GB (US) - Emu-BC
80GB (Worldwide) - No BC
160GB (Worldwide) - No BC


Whoa, thanks for catching that, Quaf. My brain wasn't firing on all cylinders. What I meant is that you can get *80* gig units that don't have BC. It's not on your list, but they released the "CECHKxx" series in the USA in August 2008 (says Wikipedia), which does *not* have any PS2 support. That's what I wanted to warn people about -- the 80 GB used to mean "premium, and therefore including PS2", but now that's the smaller drive, "core unit" and no BC. Of course, now even the "top of the line" 160GB doesn't have it, so...
QrafTee
Ghengis wrote:
I haven't looked into emulators since I played a lot of SNES on my PC back in college. Is it possible to get a decent PS2 emulator running on my PC? I guess I could do that -- it might actually save me some heartache, because I have a ton of PS2 saved games backed up on my PC, and the SharkPort I used to transfer them over is broken so I can't put them back on a memory card... I'll have to investigate this further...

No, many developers have given up on a 100% working PS2 emulator. The ones that are out suffer from frame rate issues. Even PSP emulators have these issues, so I'm not surprised.
Related topics
PlayStation 3
PS3 Fails
What Runs The Xbox 360 And The PS3 ..... Which Is Better ?
smash my ps3
Who has an xbox 360 or ps3...which is better?
reply ps3 thread - end of...
Ps3 Or Xbox 360
PSP remote play with PS3!!!!!
Wii, PS3, X Box 360 > or PS2?
Opinions of multiple system owners (PS3. Wii, 360)
PS3: Little Big Planet... Opinions?
williams pinball simulator - now on PS3
What is a good ps3 game which i should get
Favorite PS3 game?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.