FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Canon 5D MKII





bjwok
Anybody here going to be buying one on release?

I just bought a MKI and am STOKED with it and aside from the larger pixel count and the higher ISO capabilities and the HD video thing I really can't see any need to upgrade...
lethaltriad
I think I'm gonna skip on this release, right now I have a 5D and a 40D for backup and just like you said I dont really see any reason to upgrade either. I notice with alot of Canon cameras its better to wait on the second cycle. The 20D was a great improvement and the 30D was minor, Love the 40D. Same with the 5D, love the 5D but no reason really to switch to the markII.

I really wish Canon kept the 5D Mark II at like 15MP as the 50D but with better high ISO performance and better dynamic range instead of trying to lead the MP race. Right now the Nikon D3 looks more of a camera for me because their iso 6400 really looks great. I'm gonna wait this one out those and hopefully the 5DMark III when it gets released 2-3 years from now will be more what I need. In the mean time i'll prob get the EF 85 1.2L II instead. That lens has been on my wishlist for quite some time Very Happy
driftingfe3s
lethaltriad wrote:
I think I'm gonna skip on this release, right now I have a 5D and a 40D for backup and just like you said I dont really see any reason to upgrade either. I notice with alot of Canon cameras its better to wait on the second cycle. The 20D was a great improvement and the 30D was minor, Love the 40D. Same with the 5D, love the 5D but no reason really to switch to the markII.

I really wish Canon kept the 5D Mark II at like 15MP as the 50D but with better high ISO performance and better dynamic range instead of trying to lead the MP race. Right now the Nikon D3 looks more of a camera for me because their iso 6400 really looks great. I'm gonna wait this one out those and hopefully the 5DMark III when it gets released 2-3 years from now will be more what I need. In the mean time i'll prob get the EF 85 1.2L II instead. That lens has been on my wishlist for quite some time Very Happy


Yeah I totally agree about the megapixel race. It's just making the file size bigger and there's no real benefit in having that many megapixels... no one is going to print a somehting the size of a billboard! I also agree about the D3, I always thoguht Nikon was a step ahead with how clean thier high ISO shots were.
bjwok
i disagree, i think the higher megapixel count is going to come in handy for 100% crops if you don't have a good enough macro lens (i don't yet).

as for the video, it is certainly an added bonus - being able to use your existing lens set on a video camera capturing full HD is certainly going to be exciting! and not having to lug around two pieces of equipment is great (more space for lenses!)

i have a policy to update my video camera every 10 years (gives a good time frame for new technologies). last camera i bought was in 2000 and it was a 3CCD Sony DV900 and even to this day it is awesome. In 2010 I plan on updating to the 5DMK11. I'm gonna start saving now.
lethaltriad
yeah i'm gonna start saving also. By next couple years all these cameras will be suited with HD capabilites, i'm willing to wait for it to become standard. I've been on all the forums like dp review and it seems its sold out and backlogged for a long time so everyone is anxious for this release. Anticipating to see the results that many users will take in terms of video and short movies with some nice L glass in low light Very Happy
bjwok
yeah i see how crazy everyone is going for the release of this camera, but i think i would rather update my lens collection and wait for the dust to settle before jumping in and getting one. 2010 for me at the earliest. just bought a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, my tax return spent nicely lol!
jackill
Better thing is to buy good lens. Very good lens (bright, with fast AF /USM, AF-S/ and image stabilisation) . You can change body every year, but lens stay much longer. In dSLR image quality is related with lens quality. You can do very good photos with budget body and good lens or crap photos with EOS MK. III and crappy lens.
andredesignz
lethaltriad wrote:
I think I'm gonna skip on this release, right now I have a 5D and a 40D for backup and just like you said I dont really see any reason to upgrade either. I notice with alot of Canon cameras its better to wait on the second cycle. The 20D was a great improvement and the 30D was minor, Love the 40D. Same with the 5D, love the 5D but no reason really to switch to the markII.

I really wish Canon kept the 5D Mark II at like 15MP as the 50D but with better high ISO performance and better dynamic range instead of trying to lead the MP race. Right now the Nikon D3 looks more of a camera for me because their iso 6400 really looks great. I'm gonna wait this one out those and hopefully the 5DMark III when it gets released 2-3 years from now will be more what I need. In the mean time i'll prob get the EF 85 1.2L II instead. That lens has been on my wishlist for quite some time Very Happy


You know we need to link up i really want to get a good camera i can afford, as u know i just started photography and i need to upgrade my camera am currently using the Canon Powershot S5IS am i now i gonna need some time better... Just give me some advice
bjwok
hey mate, perhaps a 30D with a kit lens would be a cheap, good starting camera for you? or even a 5D MKI now that the MKII is just about released and the prices of the MKI will be substantially cheaper.
andredesignz
bjwok wrote:
hey mate, perhaps a 30D with a kit lens would be a cheap, good starting camera for you? or even a 5D MKI now that the MKII is just about released and the prices of the MKI will be substantially cheaper.


thanks for the tip but dude thats like a $1000 camera and the lens and flash not even included lol well i of to get one of the best to get out the best in my work bout i was looking for like a $600 SLR with lens something i can afford but the 30D is a good idea
bjwok
yah but from the looks of your sig, you are pretty serious about photography, so you may want to get something decent up front, instead of paying again later when you outgrow the cheaper dslrs?
andredesignz
bjwok wrote:
yah but from the looks of your sig, you are pretty serious about photography, so you may want to get something decent up front, instead of paying again later when you outgrow the cheaper dslrs?


Thanks alot i will work on getting one soon
bjwok
no sweat man. and btw, your signature would be more effective as a link... just my thoughts...
lethaltriad
andredesignz wrote:
lethaltriad wrote:
I think I'm gonna skip on this release, right now I have a 5D and a 40D for backup and just like you said I dont really see any reason to upgrade either. I notice with alot of Canon cameras its better to wait on the second cycle. The 20D was a great improvement and the 30D was minor, Love the 40D. Same with the 5D, love the 5D but no reason really to switch to the markII.

I really wish Canon kept the 5D Mark II at like 15MP as the 50D but with better high ISO performance and better dynamic range instead of trying to lead the MP race. Right now the Nikon D3 looks more of a camera for me because their iso 6400 really looks great. I'm gonna wait this one out those and hopefully the 5DMark III when it gets released 2-3 years from now will be more what I need. In the mean time i'll prob get the EF 85 1.2L II instead. That lens has been on my wishlist for quite some time Very Happy


You know we need to link up i really want to get a good camera i can afford, as u know i just started photography and i need to upgrade my camera am currently using the Canon Powershot S5IS am i now i gonna need some time better... Just give me some advice


hey Dre, jusy seeing this post, I didnt realize it got moved to this forum. You know Denieze I think has that same camera and shes doing alot of damage with it and I see you doing the same. Link me though when your ready to upgrade and i'll let you know all the options. I started out with the rebel and a 60MM macro lens for a year. Learnt alot with usiing a prime lens, especially to use my feet more lol.
Related topics
which digital SLR
Help-Digital Camera selection
canon 20d anybody?
Digital SLR photography
[var] Un millón de firmas contra el canon digital
First attempt at underwater photography!
Photography
Model photography - Stephanie
first wedding pics
My first cover! (photography)
Photography as a Hobby ?
Megadeth @ the Thebby
Movie quality video cameras
any one uses Canon 7D to make film?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.