FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CPU usage 100%

neolite
My CPU Usage reaches 100 when i open dos applications in windows XP. The fan
Moves rapidly and the whole computer produces sound. Can anybody tell how to
reduce the CPU Usage while opening DOS PRograms in Windows XP? It also reaches
100 Percent when i open OPENGL games and DirectX Games.
Peterssidan
Do your computer need to use 100% to run those programs? Otherwise DOS programs in windows xp can be quite buggy. You can try to use DOSBox to run your DOS programs and see if that helps.
b4r4t
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and check witch application is doing this 100% CPU usage ... maybe it's something with drivers.
For example sometime with Creative sound card drivers there is 100% CPU usage by CTHELPER.
Pepperfan
Hey, I had that problem once. Turned out my video card drivers were way out of date. Check with your Video card maker for new drivers and look in there help section while you are there.

Looking in the task list which b4r4t mentioned is a great idea. Google the offending processes is a good way to go.

Lastly scan for viruses and malware. I do not know how many times I have been called to fix strange problems on a computer and scanning fixed it!

Charles
ssthanapati
it may be a virus... jus check from taskmamager which program is utilizing the CPU (most)
ProfessorY91
Several ways to fix this.

1. If you have an old processor (Pentium III or AMD Equivalent) or lower you may want to consider an upgrade, because some programs will tax those CPUs to the maximum. XP, however, will not.

2. If you have a fairly new processor, there is a program that is likely using way too much memory. Lower the process priority using Task Manager, and the usage should decrease. Failing that, terminate the process. If you receive an "Access is Denied Error" disable your firewall or antivirus program. There's a good chance ZoneAlarm is taxing your CPU - did that to me. It could also be a virus, in which case use an antivirus program like AVG (Avira AntiVir Free) to clean the system

3. If you have a program that you cannot identify, but seems essential, or several programs that seem essential: Install ProcessTamer. This is a program that automatically manages process priorities for you and keeps programs under the wraps. However, this is a quick fix, and isn't recommended simply because those programs may stop running if they aren't given enough processing time.

Y
ServalM
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Several ways to fix this.

1. If you have an old processor (Pentium III or AMD Equivalent) or lower you may want to consider an upgrade, because some programs will tax those CPUs to the maximum. XP, however, will not.

I would consider this as the final step. The man could easily have some stupid virus/spyware problem sucking his CPU usage in it. The best thing to do is simply start with the updates of all your drivers, and then I mean any driver. Also do an intern virus scan, search for spyware, trojans, and all those unwelcome little apps that come along with every program these days.
You also might consider posting your hardware components on the forum, that might give us an idea of what the problem is and help you more thoroughly Smile
HardyPC
what are your specs for the pc?
ThePolemistis
neolite wrote:
My CPU Usage reaches 100 when i open dos applications in windows XP. The fan
reduce the CPU Usage while opening DOS PRograms in Windows XP? It also reaches
100 Percent when i open OPENGL games and DirectX Games.

Like someone suggested already, use dosbox for dos games. Old dos games do tend to use loads of cpu storage for whatever reason if u run them on new OS. Dosbox should sort this problem

Regarding directx and opengl games: sure, any graphic intensive game is bound to use intensive cpu. Posting ram, cpu and gfx card speed would be useful tho
internetjobs
is it continusely 100% ?... if it is constantly being in 100% then you should check this. otherwise you can ignore it..
shenyl
If you really need to put a trotter on your DOS process, you can consider using the BES CPU limiter software. This is a GNU open source software, written specifically to limit ONE process on your CPU to restrict the timeslice allocated to it.

This BES software works well so far with me. It is a standalone software and requires no installation.

Try it - sufficient documentation is there on the site.

Basically, you download the zip file, uncompress it and run the BES.exe.

URL : http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

Hope this help.
fadirocks
NOTE: stop calling it DOS because there is no DOS in winXP
it's a CMD Shell
omantye
I think DOS Box is what you needed. You can increase or decrease it's CPU usage by yourself. It is totally free and ready to be downloaded!
gilwe
neolite wrote:
My CPU Usage reaches 100 when I open dos applications in windows XP. The fan
reduce the CPU Usage while opening DOS Programs in Windows XP? It also reaches
100 Percent when I open OPENGL games and DirectX Games.

It's strange you get this when using DOS applications, are they exceptionally heavy applications ?