FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help me find scholarships.

ProfessorY91
Assume that I am a 17 year old High School student trying to get into a fairly prestigous University.
Also assume that I have taken many AP courses, and my GPA is a 3.92.

I live in Minnesota.

Can anyone recommend some good scholarships for students like me?
combox27
im also looking for some scholarships i start school in 2 weeks i'm in fl
ProfessorY91
Professor is angry.

Wow. This post is old. I've posted in the forums 66 times to date, and never have I ever NOT received a response to my post, whether helpful or not - it did not matter. This is the first post which completely died on creation. Now, if I posted the scholarship search topic under the general chat or more active areas of Frihost, my ass would be fried. Some moderator would move the post into the so called "Education" Forum, and thoroughly chastise me about topic placement. So I posted in the right place. Do I get a response? Not a snowball's chance in hell. Who the hell wants to talk about education in a forum? Who the hell even wants to help someone look up scholarships. Frihosters? My left buttcheek.

Anyways, with that out of my system, frihost is a really wonderful place to get all sorts of help. There are some real technical geniuses that have helped me solve my computer related ... catastrophies

As for you combox, I have no idea whether or not I'm going to be in time to save face for both of us, but I found two very useful websites - both work in the US, and I'm assuming coverage for Florida as well. Best of luck to ya, mate.

1. http://www.fastweb.com/ - There are tons of scholarships, contests, and essay writing for money opportunities here. The trick is to find the handful that are worth your time.

2. http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_ss/welcome.jsp - Another standard, but good website. These fools went ahead and made up the SAT to make our lives miserable, but at least they offer us money, hey?

There ya go. Hope ya have a good time in FL.

And to all you bloody people who viewed this topic but didn't post. FIE ON YOU. May your transcripts get stuck en route and your applications be denied! May you find out what a cow's liver tastes like!
Y.
shindig
Everyone thinks their post is important, however the forum is segmented into different topics for a reason. If everyone tried to post everything in the General forum (because they thought they'd get a better response) then that board would be flooded, all the topics would be fed off the page in five minutes... and no-one would get a response.

'Sides I really don't think it'd matter where you posted, you wouldn't get much response. Not everyone here is from America, not everyone here is in school, and not all the American school kids here give a rats arse about scholarships.

I.e. I'm Australian, just finished my VCE (year twelve) and have a scholarship for Uni next year... but I have no idea abour your school system/Universities.

And that's the real reason you haven't had a response.

To increase your odds you should have tried a site populated by American school kids? There are sites like that for Australians (boredofstudies.org) so I'm pretty sure they'd have to exist for you?
liljp617
Obviously you want to apply to the scholarships offered by the university you plan to attend.

Talk to your high school guidance counselor about scholarship opportunities; they often have a lot of information if they're doing their job Wink

As someone mentioned above, fastweb.com is a GREAT resource. There are many online sites that round up tons upon tons of scholarships. Google around a bit.
manlear
Try to get the valedictorian one.... sounds like you are pretty high in the food chain.
Bikerman
Why do you think that posters have a duty to help you sort out your education? If you are as bright as the person you hypothesise then surely you would know that the obvious route is to write to your local universities for details of their scholarship programmes. It really isn't so hard...
manlear
May i say Burn? ^
Gagnar The Unruly
Bikerman wrote:
Why do you think that posters have a duty to help you sort out your education? If you are as bright as the person you hypothesise then surely you would know that the obvious route is to write to your local universities for details of their scholarship programmes. It really isn't so hard...

I agree. Step one for learning how to get your own scholarships and grants is learning how to do the necessary legwork.
jossylala
Hey mr australia,am a medical student in nigeria but would love to school abroad especialy in australia,canada,ukraine and cuba cos i heard they have the best medical schools. Do you know of any uni giving international scholarship there?
mikakiev
jossylala wrote:
Hey mr australia,am a medical student in nigeria but would love to school abroad especialy in australia,canada,ukraine and cuba cos i heard they have the best medical schools. Do you know of any uni giving international scholarship there?

Ukrainian mediacal schools are rubbish.Better go to Poland.Ukrainian diplomas are not recognised in the world.Ukrainian diploma and degree are useless.
ProfessorY91
Bikerman wrote:

The college that I attended in the past does not offer merit based scholarships. There are several reasons for this, but it's really because 75%+ of the students that attend have been in the top 10% of their high school graduating classes. I am no exception.

I'm also not so arrogant as to claim that frihosters, people who are here because they choose to be, are here to help me sort out any aspect of my life, much less my education. I posted here because my "local universities" only support students who attend their institutions, therefore writing to them is useless. Who the hell writes to a college or university other then the one you're attending, anyways?

As general information, in the US, if you attend a college or university which doesn't offer merit-based scholarships. (i.e. prestigious, from the first post), the only support the institution will give you is likely need-based. If you or the individuals that support you are above a certain income bracket, you won't get jack shit from the institution.

I have a lot of respect for mods like you, Bikerman but I would have appreciated other ideas, (like FastWeb, or applying for local youth scholarships). What I was hoping for was a few scholarships that people applied to and were successful in getting. Thanks for the chastisement, instead.

I am now a college graduate, and my advice would be to check out local companies and the scholarships they offer to their communities. See companies like General Mills, Guidant, Medtronic (highly selective), and Pillsbury. Buried on their websites are scholarships they offer to local community students.

Two more things for the record: manlear, see Rules 1. c, but mainly h. Because I'm tempted to go very offensive. And two, damn straight I should have posted this in General Chat, feigning ignorance about this forum in the first place.