FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is scraping a site legal

Zackster
At what point is scraping a site illegal? Say now i state that content is provided by site X. Is it legal?
kv
Zackster wrote:
At what point is scraping a site illegal? Say now i state that content is provided by site X. Is it legal?

I am not an expert with legal issues, but I guess as long as you put some disclaimer, you should be safe.
chipbricks
I think you need to see in TOS of site, which you want to republish. If there is not TOS at site simple ask owner.
This is big interesting question who own forum post, site owner or forum message author?
Zackster
Quote:
This is big interesting question who own forum post, site owner or forum message author?

The poster owns the post because forum owners state that they aren't liable for the users opinions and ideas and bla bla bla so then you must be held liable so you own it because they don't want to get in trouble.

And they can't prevent you from posting a duplicate post on another forum.
Agent ME
If the page's content is copyrighted, then the author has rights to it. Ask the author if you can use their content, or check if there's a license that allows you to use it. Example - wikipedia.org has this at the bottom of every page:
Wikipedia wrote:
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. (See Copyrights for details.)