FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

secure ftp access

inphurno
i read that there is no SSH access here at frihost but is there a way to get a secure ftp connection to hosting on frihost or is ssh the only way cause in filezilla i see an option called sftp but i dont know if this is supported?

thanks in advance
silverdown
Information Here on this topic
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-82558.html&highlight=secure+shell
rvec
ssh is not sftp Wink

and I don't think we provide sftp, but you can just try and see if it's possible to connect.
inphurno
Thanks for your response rvec, i thought i needed a private key file to do this but i tried it anyway, i put in my regular login and password it gives me the key of the server checks everything and then says denied.

I dont know if this is cause i dont have a key on my side but all i want to do is connect securely to my ftp without the info to be visible since i dont always connect from home. I dont know if this is supported but it would be nice Smile

any help on this one would be greatly apreciated
djclue917
Connections via SFTP is not possible because SFTP is actually something like "FTP over SSH" which means that SSH is a prerequisite to using SFTP. It's a pity because our FTP login credentials are sent plain, as in unencrypted, which is a security risk especially when accessing our sites in public places.
rvec
why would you login to ftp from a public place Confused
Don't you need your own programs and stuff to work on your site? I only login from work and home, because I can install anything I want on those pcs.
jeremyp
rvec wrote:
ssh is not sftp Wink.

Actually, SFTP is ssh. SFTP is a secure FTP like protocol that runs over an ssh connection.
jeremyp
rvec wrote:
Don't you need your own programs and stuff to work on your site? I only login from work and home, because I can install anything I want on those pcs.

Some people have laptops.
inphurno
rvec wrote:

apart from laptops and hotspots, using a usb key and standalone apps i can edit and upload from any pc with a usb port + internet connection. you can also use software suites like PortableApps to have everything you need in one package. with firefox, filezilla and notepad++ i can work from anywhere.

http://www.portableapps.com/