FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ways to get self-made windows icons to be transparent?

weableandbob
I've started making custom windows icons for myself, but they always end up with a white background. When I create a new image, I make sure to check "transparent" as the background color, and it shows up transparent in the photo editor, but when I save it as a .ico file, it saves with a white background. Does anyone know how to fix this? (I'm using Jasc paint shop pro 8.)
Agent ME
Try using gimp to set the transparency and see if that works. (Make sure the layer has an alpha channel by right clicking it, use the auto-select tool to highlight the chunks you want transparent, and then press delete to make them transparent.)
weableandbob
that doesn't really seem to work
Agent ME
Can you be more specific? I was able to get a transparent .ico file working with gimp, but I'm on Ubuntu Linux so maybe it rendered it differently than windows does. Try saving it as a .png or .gif instead - can windows use that as an icon?
TheOnionRack
Does your canvas have a transparent background? Also, try setting your icon to GIF or PNG32 with Alpha Transparency. That should let you carry the transparent background with you.
weableandbob
ok. When i use gimp to set the transparency, it seems to save fine, but then windows says that there isn't any .ico files in it. If I use Paint Shop Pro 8, it saves fine, but there's a white background (even if the layer is transparent). I'm using XP, not linux.