FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the best Linux Music player?

DoctorBeaver
I've got the standard stuff, but I'm not impressed. Is there a really good player I can download freebie?
hummer010
That depends entirely on what you are looking for.

I use mpc/mpd a lot, but most people don't really like the minimalist mpc. Sometimes I use Sonata (a frontend for mpd). I also use foobar in wine.
Agent ME
Amarok works great, and its what I use. It also has some cool features I haven't seen other places, like the ability to queue specific songs to play next while you're listening to a playlist.
Arnie
I think XMMS is fine.
surdy
I mostly use Amarok or XMMS. Works fine for me.
Do you have any specific needs or just want to sty new cool stuff?
jackill
On GTK based distros: Sonata, MPD, on KDE Amarok Smile
Stubru Freak
I don't know if you think of this as the "standard" media player on Linux, but I'm using Rhythmbox and I love it so much.
It's so responsive, it searches through my entire collection in a tenth of a second, and it just works. It's very easy to use, much less complicated than WMP and much more responsive than iTunes (which I used on Windows).
The UI process of choosing and starting a song takes about a second (on WMP this would take 5-10 seconds).
swizzy
Amarok/Juk but Amarok is ubdoubtedly the best, It actually depends, on wheter you want a library based jukebox player (eg. windows media player/winamp) or you want a simple player (VLC, MPlayer).

Amarok is the best jukebox I've known for KDE and VLC the best single click player.
ehpc
I prefer Rhythmbox, because it has a good cataloging ability.
funky_programmer
I use Amarok, because it's much more like Windows Media Player, with built in visualizer. And also, it can play MP3 files without the need to download new codec. Other players that don't use proprietary software won't play MP3 files.
Stubru Freak
funky_programmer wrote:
I use Amarok, because it's much more like Windows Media Player, with built in visualizer. And also, it can play MP3 files without the need to download new codec. Other players that don't use proprietary software won't play MP3 files.

That's not true. Most other players can also play MP3 files without proprietary software. It's just illegal software in the US and some other countries because of patents, but it's not proprietary. But in those countries Amarok playing mp3's is just as illegal. It's just illegal to play mp3's without paying a patent license, no matter what software you use.
DoctorBeaver
So far I've tried Rhythmbox & Banshee. I had Winamp on Windows and loved it. I may have a look at Amarok. Thanks.
rohan2kool
If you're used to Winamp.. i'd suggest you try XMMS.. it's pretty much good and an exact clone of Winamp 2.x.

if you like something like Windows Media Player, or something which has an 'application' feel to it.. you could try amaroK or maybe Rhythmbox. I'm mostly on KDE.. so haven't really tried Rhythmbox...
Agent ME
I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 some time ago, and I decided to stop putting up with Amarok's lack of support for multimedia hotkeys in GNOME (Ubuntu's default window manager). There was a script that you could download in its built-in script manager to fix it, but its gone now (wtf?!). I've started using Exaile recently - it works nicely, with a few things working nicer like the transparent on-screen-display (on amarok, if you set the osd to be transparent, the graphics behind the transparency wouldn't update and it would freeze the image).
thadnation
i can't find any good media player. for some reason, they won't let me put my library on my external harddrive.
KHO
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I've got the standard stuff, but I'm not impressed. Is there a really good player I can download freebie?

Amarok (designed for KDE works on gnome) is by far my favorite. XMMS is also good by my understanding, supposedly a winamp similarity. I haven't used that myself. Amarok DOES support mp3 format, just install the package for it, dont know the name but its in the repos
Agent ME
thadnation wrote:
i can't find any good media player. for some reason, they won't let me put my library on my external harddrive.

What programs are you having trouble with?
Arnie
Sounds like he has problems with mount? Laughing
chevaliers-citadelle
Love Amarok... Smile Smile Smile
khanzin
I Like e Mplayer
Zaimati
Yea, e mplayer is nice xD Very Happy
weableandbob
I haven't used Linux in a while, but VLC will play just about anything, although I'm not sure how great it is for playing playlists and such.
Jean-Clod
Pretty much like other said, Amarok is a very good jukebox , but I prefer Songbird (I even use it on my PC when I'm bored with iTunes Cool ) The integrated webbrowser and the firefoxlike-plugin system is great. If you need a single-click player, then go for VLC!
Diablosblizz
I found that VLC had choppy-ness in my music so I switched to Amarok. It's really nice, and I like how it sits in the tray(? - not sure if that's what it's called in Ubuntu) and still plays my music. I'm a fan of Windows Media Player, it's just pretty simple, and Amarok does the same thing!

Another thing I've noticed in Ubuntu is the sound is quite quieter compared to Windows. Although, that's probably just a driver error.