FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there a way to find out how much traffic goes to a site

Possum
Hi

Is there a way fro me to find out how much traffic is going to a particular site..
the-guide
Did you mean your own sites or another?
If you mean your own site just use Google Analytic it provide a lot of useful information for you.
balend
Ya, use analystics tools. You can use sitemeter, google analystics, and there are a lot more.
inphurno
if you want to track stuff on your site at frihost i think there are logging tools in the DirectAdmin under advanced features there is an option called stats control. I never used it but it looks like it will gererate stats on your traffic.

otherwise you can sign up to a free tracker like http://www.histats.com that will show you all kinds of info on the traffic going to your site.
Phil
If it a site here on Frihost, go to your C-panel. There's really a lot of cool things there. AWStats is one of the stats programs available. It's pretty easy to figure out how to use it.
If it's another site, I'm very sure that Firefox has an extension or 2 that can give a few stats (I'm not on my machine right now and I'm using Explorer.)
SonLight
Thanks, all, for this useful thread. I am trying out the DirectAdmin stats.

Phil, I noticed that AWstats gave me a warning about cgi-bin needing to be enabled, so I set up
Webalyzer. I noticed elsewhere a message that cgi-bin was enabled, which I thought was not the case on frihost sites.

Can anyone confirm it AWStats does in fact work on frihost? The answer could vary depending on which server you are hosted on.
Possum
Hi

Thx for all your advice. Just a quick question. how to find out how long people stay.. I think this is the bounce Rate..
smasha
Alexa Internet, Inc. is a California-based subsidiary company of Amazon.com that is best known for operating a website that provides information on web traffic to other websites. www.alexa.com
Possum
smasha wrote:
Alexa Internet, Inc. is a California-based subsidiary company of Amazon.com that is best known for operating a website that provides information on web traffic to other websites. www.alexa.com

Wow Cool site.. Now I know where a stand in the world..
gcaughill
Possum wrote:
Hi

Is there a way fro me to find out how much traffic is going to a particular site..

1. Do you mean your own site? Most hosts have stats packages assigned to them.

If they do not try Google Analytics.

2. If an external site, you cannot get exact numbers, but try services like Alexa to find out how 'popular' they are.

You could also email the webmaster and ask them... I am not sure how well that will go over.
chatrack
Hi,
join statcounter.com , place a small track code in your site
inphurno
smasha wrote:

the problem is that this only tracks how often alexa users go to your site which might not be a good indicator for you.

Possum wrote:
Hi

Thx for all your advice. Just a quick question. how to find out how long people stay.. I think this is the bounce Rate..

bounce rate isn't exactly what you said, its the amount of people that come and visit one page for a very short period of time and then leave, i could be wrong but i think thats the definition
mishidpfoc
Hi there,

Alexa tool bar is the appropriate tool to record the traffic. It will also show the age and gender of the visitor.
cheese
There is two methods I use to find out where and what traffic is coming to my site.

The first method is AWSTATS which can be found in your cpanel control panel.

The second method is google analytics, you will need to copy and paste the google analytics code on every page of your website.

I recommend you use both of these methods to compare the traffic, so you can get the most accurate results.
desinet1
Google Analytic is by far the most accurate and widely used tool for analyzing website traffic. But this only usable if you are the owner of the website or the webmaster allows you to access the GA data.

In case you want to know the traffic details of other website, the only tool I know is Alexa.