FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Total War Series

Phil
How many Total War players are here? My son got the very first one -- Shogun Total War -- when it came out. I never played it, but I kinda glanced at it over his shoulder when he was playing. When Rome Total war came out I gave it a try and was hooked from there on. I've gotten both Medieval War and Medieval War 2 and the Kingdoms expansion.
A great game if you get into the details of empire management.
I've just started messing around with the Mods that are available. I'm quite amazed at the number of them.
So are there any Total war enthusiasts here and what mods do you play?
Keran
I've only played Total War: Medieval 2 + the expansion, I must say it's one of my favourite games, really sucks you in for a long time. I've played with some mods, but none that drastically changed the game.
I think that everything except battles, in Medieval is really simplified. Dyplomacy has not many options and I never actually felt like making diplomatic connections and win the game using diplomacy only. On top of that, even if I tried to get few allies and strike down some other country, they never did fulfill their promises of help ;o
Oh yeah and I also never did listen to the Pope and church whatsover, I thought it's just a waste of time.
However I love the battles, the music, the feel of expanding Your power, but as said before, everything could have been more complex...
Phil
Keran wrote:
I've only played Total War: Medieval 2 + the expansion, I must say it's one of my favourite games, really sucks you in for a long time. I've played with some mods, but none that drastically changed the game.
I think that everything except battles, in Medieval is really simplified. Dyplomacy has not many options and I never actually felt like making diplomatic connections and win the game using diplomacy only. On top of that, even if I tried to get few allies and strike down some other country, they never did fulfill their promises of help ;o
Oh yeah and I also never did listen to the Pope and church whatsover, I thought it's just a waste of time.
However I love the battles, the music, the feel of expanding Your power, but as said before, everything could have been more complex...

I agree. The Diplomacy thing is very over-rated. No where near the importance it should be. Religion only seems to play a minor part to counter-act discontent.
Other than that, as far as leaders go and their traits and how they influence things, it can get pretty involved.
I have found a couple of Mods that drastically change things. One call Stainless Steel goes as far as adding territory to the overall game map along with factions and units.
Nameless
I played - and loved - Rome Total War for a while but ended up stopping after winning my first full campaign ... I could get most battles running without lag by setting literally every graphic setting to the lowest, but it still took ridiculous amounts of time to load between the campaign map and battles. It pretty much takes the best from RTS and TBS.
achowles
Man, I love Medieval 2: Total War! I've got Kingdoms too (gold edition) I haven't really touched on those campaigns though. The main one is epic enough after all. I got hooked on that game for the longest time. I couldn't give up playing it until I completed the long campaign for England.

If I had any complaint about it at all (aside from the occasionally abysmal path finding) it's the fact that it's pretty transparently completely combat orientated. Most alliances seem to break down as soon as you run out of other people to fight. There's very little in the way of diplomacy.

But, given how epic and enjoyable the battles are, that's not really much of a complaint at all.
Phil
Yea, I wish there was more weight on the diplomatic end. Europa Universalis does a really good job of that. In that game declaring war can have an extreme negative impact on your country's status.

You're right about Total War being molded around combat. But with a title like "Total War", I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
I do find that to get your economy up to it's fullest potential you really need to pay attention to details.